Page 1 of 3
Today is Yom Kippur in Israel.

This means that there are no broadcasts on the television, there are absolutely no businesses operating on any level (Other than very very few police patrols), and there is no driving. Though not forbidden by law, it is a custom that is pretty regulated, and very noticeable in Tel Aviv, the biggest city in Israel.

To ask the question and maybe encourage more pictures: Are there any special traditions (Not necessarily holidays) in your country/city that are unique to that place and that others might find as very strange?

This is how the streets looked last night and today. Enjoy the views.

This is not a pipe

The last one I took myself last night, and yes, those are people lying in the middle of the street.
This is not a pipe
Israel looks heaps nice =O

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
I live in Dewsbury, so what we do is. We hide a kid under a bed for two weeks and try to get a whole bunch of money.

Seriously though, we don't do jack. I did see a pennyfarthing race in a magazine once though.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Weird seeing people walking and biking in the middle of the road. That's pretty cool.

And the night shots are awesome
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
That looks fantastic. I'd love to cycle down an empty motorway.

And as far as unusual traditions, in my town we burn an effigy of a 19th century mill owner on the first Saturday in July.

More info on it if you're interested.
St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006
Last edited by WaitWhat? at Sep 18, 2010,
That'd be great fun, to be able to ride on the road without worry of any cars.
Australia doesn't really have any odd traditions as such, I guess you could say ANZAC day is odd because it commemorates one of the biggest failures of WW1.
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin
and dance around in your bones

I thought Israel was all war torn and desert?

Like, seriously?

I should watch the news or something.

Quote by Våd Hamster

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
That seems pretty cool. Israel looks nicer than I had been led to believe.
I live in Shetland, so every year on the last Tuesday of January we have a festival called Up Helly Aa in which a group of 1000 beardy men dressed as Vikings and/or women walk through the town carrying burning torches and dragging a Viking Galley along with them until they finally stop in the middle of town and throw all the torches at the boat. They then sing a song as it burns. Then everybody gets drunk. And every school has the Wednesday off.
My gear

Gibson Les Paul Junior
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Epiphone Flying V
Freshman FA15OMAH acoustic
Martin DXME
Martin Backpacker
Stagg mandolin
Fender G-DEC 30
Boss BR-864
POG 2
Quote by thanksgiving
I thought Israel was all war torn and desert?

Like, seriously?

I should watch the news or something.

Actually the news is the only place where Israel looks like it's in a war.
This is not a pipe
Yeah but you're forgetting that Israel is a religiously fundamentalist terrorist state
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Something about a road filled with bikes that looks awesome. Just seems happier for some reason.
Unusual traditions? Boxing Day.

Shopping centers should be closed on Dec 26th.

Quote by Carmel

I went abroad for a couple of weeks back in College. I went to Lebannon and Israël. They're bloody beautiful places .
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Last edited by JeanMi36 at Sep 18, 2010,

Happens every two years or something

I don't think Singapore has any weird customs, at least not any that I can think of now.
We have a weird national symbol, though. It's like a lion-fish hybrid puking into the river.
edit: Sorry for the huge pic

cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Sep 18, 2010,
Quote by Carmel

So is it very war torn or not?

Does anything bad happen?

Cause when I picture you in my mind, I imagine you wearing those sheet things over your head, hiding in your house using the internet while troops march past wanting to shoot people.

In a desert.

Quote by Våd Hamster

Quote by thanksgiving

Cause when I picture you in my mind, I imagine you wearing those sheet things over your head, hiding in your house using the internet while troops march past wanting to shoot people.

In a desert.

It's not war torn at all.
This is not a pipe
Quote by Carmel
It's not war torn at all.

Amazing.

I might come visit. Can I crash at your place?

Quote by Våd Hamster

Quote by thanksgiving

In a desert.

It's not war torn. Much like the US, Israel tends to be the invading force responsible for the current state of the middle east
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
That looks amazing. Does it happen every year?
OT: Yes, we catch wild haggis and then eat them raw.

Quote by thanksgiving
Amazing.

I might come visit. Can I crash at your place?

What?

Quote by HeavyReverb
It's not war torn. Much like the US, Israel tends to be the invading force responsible for the current state of the middle east

^I suggest you stop posting before I warn you for trolling, this is not the politics thread.
This is not a pipe
No unusual traditions that I can think of in my town.

Though every year on the 4th of July, the regulars at the skate park in town fire bottle rockets and other fireworks at each other. Mad fun. The day after there is a huge pile of used fireworks all over. Trash bins are full of them and they just litter the skate park.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Odd....

I didn't realize Yom Kippur was only in Israel...
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TunerAddict
Odd....

It's not.
This is not a pipe
Quote by Carmel
^I suggest you stop posting before I warn you for trolling, this is not the politics thread.

I was just giving my 2c but I guess its not worth my while arguing with you.

Quote by TunerAddict
Odd....

It's a Jewish thing in general.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
We have a Scarecrow festival, a chili cook off, and a few other things. I wouldn't say they're as a culturally proficient as Yom Kippur though.

They're all good fun though. Really about the only tradition sort of things going on.
We have a festival that last about 4 days celebrating coal. It's actually going on now. They shut down main street and Hazard gets full of more douchebags, rednecks and bad drivers.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
I really like unusual traditions like that. We don't really have that many in sweden that I can think of.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
I really like unusual traditions like that. We don't really have that many in sweden that I can think of.

I heard there was a "Furniture Kit Festival", sponsored by Ikea!
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by JeanMi36
I heard there was a "Furniture Kit Festival", sponsored by Ikea!

I'd do a ba dum tssh but I couldn't assemble the drum kit

Quote by offthewall91
We have a festival that last about 4 days celebrating coal. It's actually going on now. They shut down main street and Hazard gets full of more douchebags, rednecks and bad drivers.

You mean the King Coal festival? I didn't go because I can think of tons more fun things to do. Don't forget about Hillbilly Days they have in the spring too.

Here in Matewan, we have re-enactments of the Matewan Massacre and Hatfield-McCoy feud. The only things we seem to have to celebrate here is a bunch of rednecks with guns shooting each other. Oh well, it keeps Matewan at least barely alive.

Edit: I almost forgot about the crappy, sucky fair they have here in the first week of August. The rides are half-built the night before and the food will give you diarrhea. Actually, one year, one of the rides fell apart with people on it. No one got seriously hurt though.
Last edited by Kutless Rocker at Sep 18, 2010,
Quote by 12345abcd3
I wish streets closed like that here...I want to play street cricket on a main road.

Actually there are no flights in and out of Israel either. It's pretty much dead silent out on the streets.
This is not a pipe
Quote by leg end
We have Guy Fawkes night over here in Engerland. We burn a man

It's not unusual, it's just stupid. Yay, let's dedicate a night to a guy who almost killed the King!

I can't think of any other unusual traditions in England, unless you count gurning contests, cheese rolling and other such national pastimes.
Quote by Don_Humpador
It's not unusual, it's just stupid. Yay, let's dedicate a night to a guy who almost killed the King!

I can't think of any other unusual traditions in England, unless you count gurning contests, cheese rolling and other such national pastimes.

How about: Yay, let's dedicate a night to a guy who died for what he believed in and died while trying to make England a better place?
Lest anyone mistake intentions, this is strictly informational, no political agenda involved.

Many people have seen the most common public tradition of Native Americans, the pow wow. The name itself derives from an Algonquin word referring to a ceremony including a dance, specifically a healing ceremony. However, in its present form the pow wow is barely more than a century old. Between the time of the treaties (mid 1800s) and modern times it was against the law to hold Indian ceremonies, and in many situations even to speak in their native languages. The present day pow wow was put together from some truly traditional elements, plus some things put together as stereotypical examples of what a "real" tradition would look like (some of these taken from Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show), and as things evolved, new ideas (?!) thrown in. The earliest instance we can point to and say that it's the same thing occurred around 1911 among the Pawnee. Even so, anyone who's ever attended one has seen the solemnity with which some things are held. And anyone who's ever helped organize one knows full well how seriously we can take our traditions, especially when someone's ideas of proper tradition differs from someone else's. It doesn't seem to make much sense until you're reminded that the whole idea was put together from what was left after being almost extinct.

I was tasked with putting together some things for the kids' portion of a pow wow. I found one that sounded good, and turned out great, from a story in a tribal newspaper. You have each kid to pick any adult. They then run one time around the dance circle, holding hands and screaming at the top o their lungs, That's it. The kids love it, and although the adults start to act like it hurts or something, by the time they're done they're grinning. Turns out it's a pretty good tradition. So what makes it a tradition? The person that wrote the article got asked the same, and had an answer ready: somebody has done it before, at least twice. Seems like a silly answer, but at least it's an answer. Now, some parts of a pow wow, for instance the drums and singers, really do have a long and complex history, and should be respected. But some parts are a bit more flexible, and from this that a tradition is what you say it is, and it comes from whoever it is that wants it to be one. So go on ahead, get yourself some traditions. And since you're picking them, go ahead and make them fun. Who's going to say you can't? OOPS, there it went. Sorry, too late, it's a tradition now.
Page 1 of 3