Hey there,

Can anyone offer some info about the build quality of 2nd hand super strats, and how they compare to brand new guitars today? I am after another guitar for shredding to either match or outdo (in quality) my 80's Vester electric guitar which I am happy with. My budget is £150-£450ish, which suits my skill level I think (advanced beginner/ low intermediate)? My 80s Vester lis very similar to this...

I am interested first in quality and comfort, but I don't know much about price bands and their relation to that. For example; I quite like the idea of an 80s-early 90s Fender HM like this....

....but I have no idea how one of them relates in quality to say a modern Ibanez RG350M or Jackson shred model, or my vester. I've seen a few of the Fender HMs go online ebay, and most of them are priced between £350-450. Are they worth that much? Is it all in the name?

I've also been looking at cheaper 2nd hand ones like squire stage/show masters, kramer strikers, vintage VJ6, 2nd hand hohners and other vesters from the 80s. But i'm not too sure what is best. All advice welcome thanks.
Honestly, that Vester is a great looking Charvel copy. You should try to find a Charvel Model 2/3 or 4 from the mid to late 80's if thats what you're looking for. I like the feel of worn in my guitars I guess...it gives the guitar a lot of soul and character. I'm holding my Model 2 right now because my Carvin just doesn't play like this thing, even though its an amazing guitar.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Agree with man above. Charvel is the way to go. Model 2 or 3, or the 475 Deluxe. HM Strat is a very fine guitar, ditto BC Rich Gunslinger. Newer stuff can't compete.
Go for a contemporary strat, not HM, in my opinion. Best lineup to come out of Japan. Best super strat I've laid my hands on. Pics below.

Old Charvels, Jacksons, and Kramers are siiick. I've owned a deluxe pacer and boy was it nice.

Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Sep 18, 2010,
Quote by guitar nubsauce
Go for a contemporary strat, not HM, in my opinion. Best lineup to come out of Japan. Best super strat I've laid my hands on. Pics below.

Old Charvels, Jacksons, and Kramers are siiick. I've owned a deluxe pacer and boy was it nice.

Dude hows the neck profile on one of those? Is it the same chunky shape Strats have always had or is it thinner?
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

A bit thinner than my deluxe for sure, but not too thin. I would say feels similar to a Kramer or Charvel.

I got lucky, you will be hard pressed to find another hss with a black neck and headstock

If you look at one of these, look for one with a system 3 tremolo. It's so nice. I have the system I, and while it kicks major ass, the posts are way too high. I may route the body for a OFR.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Sep 18, 2010,
some really lovely Charvels on eBay right now.

also have a look into maybe something like the Ibanez RG550

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
So the consensus seems to be that 80s-early90s shred models are better quality pound for pound? Why is that anyway?
Quote by Jonashred
So the consensus seems to be that 80s-early90s shred models are better quality pound for pound? Why is that anyway?

mass production by cheap workforces in china, korea and indonesia, the japanese models are still outstanding though and in some cases are better than MIA guitars (i`ll never get over the Jackson £3K POS that i bought)
Quote by ibanezgod1973
mass production by cheap workforces in china, korea and indonesia, the japanese models are still outstanding though and in some cases are better than MIA guitars (i`ll never get over the Jackson £3K POS that i bought)

I agree, I played a Custom shop Jackson soloist and it felt like a toy...as much as I love Charvel/Jackson, I wouldn't buy a new one. They were made better back then, better construction methods, back when people actually used to spend some time building these things. Not to mention since they've been played for so long they have a very human quality to them, I hate to sound superstitious, but the whole mojo thing of an older guitar is very real to me.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

I know shred was unpopular in the 90s, that obviously impacted what was being built, but doesn't mass produced by cheap workforces in east equate to less quality rather than more? Don't get that, and what were they doing different... are machines more involved in the assembling or something now?
Last edited by Jonashred at Sep 19, 2010,
Can anyone estimate a price for the vester copy and the fender hm in my first post in £? I'd like to know what they're worth 2nd hand (assume reasonable condition), and also how much they'd be if new today compared to a modern guitar. Thanks
My '89 Charvel Model 3DR is super nice, but my #1 is a '90 Yamaha Pac 921. FWIW, I bought my stepson a Jackson DK2T and it feels cheap compared to either of the above.
look for a Hamer Diablo. the older hamer superstrats can be found for a song. great guitars with all the bells and whistles already built in. the US made ones are top notch quality guitars.
Cant go wrong with 80's Kramers and Charvels....however the Striker you mentioned are pretty crappy. Any American model or the Focus series are great.
Thanks anyone have an idea how much a model like the vester in first pic should go for second hand £?

Quote by webwarmiller
My '89 Charvel Model 3DR is super nice, but my #1 is a '90 Yamaha Pac 921. FWIW, I bought my stepson a Jackson DK2T and it feels cheap compared to either of the above.

was it brand new?