Basically, I have this band together but since we pretty much fired our last bassist we got another one. Only problem, he doesn't own, or has ever played, a bass guitar, or any musical instrument to my knowledge

He's a very good friend of ours and he is defiantly up fro learning, but as much as I try to help him I don't know that much about bass

So anyway, I'm taking him out to get a bass in a few days time, I'm thinking I'm only going to get him to spend about £150 on it maximum I'm afraid and then about the same, if not less on an amp. I'll get a 15% discount luckily, but even so can anyone recommend me some good models/brands to take a look at? Preferably brand just because the selection will probably be quite small.

And finally point 2, Since we are training him up we are departing from our usual material to help him get better, we are looking for a few songs to help him improve. The only songs I got were:

Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood
Muse - Feeling Good
Audioslave - Cochise
AC/DC - Back in Black

Probally learning them in that order as well, just checking these are all easy songs for a person with no previous musical ability Thanks for your time
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Last edited by Skinny91 at Sep 18, 2010,
150 GBP isn't a lot for a decent bass, so your best bet would be to look for something used by Ibanez, Schecter, Squier or MIM Fender. As for amps; used is again the way to go. Look for used Ashdown, Hartke, etc.

Once you have a bass, send your soon-to-be bassist to this site:

http://www.studybass.com/

If he applies himself, he can make significant progress. Good luck to you all.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
150 GBP isn't a lot for a decent bass, so your best bet would be to look for something used by Ibanez, Schecter, Squier or MIM Fender. As for amps; used is again the way to go. Look for used Ashdown, Hartke, etc.

Once you have a bass, send your soon-to-be bassist to this site:

http://www.studybass.com/

If he applies himself, he can make significant progress. Good luck to you all.

You're never going to find a MIM Fender in a respectable condition for £150.

Your best bit is something a used Ibanez GSR200. There's a few about on eBay most of the time, this one looks alright.

As for amps, I'm expecting a barrage of recommendations for Acoustic amps. Unfortunately they're not available in the UK.

If he's new to bass and looking for an amp to compete in a band, I'd always recommend looking for old solid state stuff from the 80s/early 90s. I started out with gear like that; the advantage is that they sound just as good (usually better) as any of these Ashdown combos and stuff, except you'll get a lot more volume out.

For example, I'd highly recommend this head. I still use of these now; I've played probably near enough 100 gigs with it, and it's never given me any trouble. It gets beat about all the time, but it still delivers. It actually sounds better than most of the amps I've used too, up until the £500+ range. Best part is that is was cheap as chips. They usually go for £40ish on eBay.

Same goes for speakers really. If you're wanting something to use in a band situation just look for something old and beat up on eBay; if it's still working after all that beating, you know it's not gonna pack in on you anytime soon. That's the main problem with modern equipment; it's just not that reliable. You can fetch yourself some real bargains if you keep browsing eBay.
Thanks for the responses guys, I'll give him all this information
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp