Hey,

Quick question: I put my Strat in Drop D, which threw the other strings out of tune.

I'm worried about the neck warping or something, could it be a problem?
Shouldn't be, there isn't a whole lot of difference in tension between E standard and Drop D. If you're that worried, check the neck bow, and adjust the truss rod if necessary.

PMEdit: Wow, just reread the post. If the other strings go out of tune that easily, adjust spring tension.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
I don't think so if you're just going down to drop D, but if you go any lower you usually need to put thicker strings on your guitar to make up for the lack of tension, and that is when your neck will start to warp. Thats when you should probably get your guitars truss rod adjusted.
My rig: ESP Eclipse II --> bulk amount of pedals --> Orange Rockerverb 50w
Quote by DeadlySurfer
Hey,

Quick question: I put my Strat in Drop D, which threw the other strings out of tune.

I'm worried about the neck warping or something, could it be a problem?

What bridge does your strat has?
I'm just doing a few songs in Drop D, and I don't plan to go any more.

And the spring tension, less or more? I've got the Classic 50's Strat with FerraGlide Saddles.
Then it's your bridge, whammy holds still based on tension. If you want a guitar that keeps it's tune, it's best to buy without a whammy/floyd rose.
Quote by Zeletros
Then it's your bridge, whammy holds still based on tension. If you want a guitar that keeps it's tune, it's best to buy without a whammy/floyd rose.

So it going out of tune is because the tension isn't there, but it's not going to mean my neck will all of a sudden bend?

I literally just put it in drop D for a couple songs and wondered.
The other strings probably just went out coz the tension from the low E string has dropped off a bit, so the tension on the other 5 strings have to compensate or some crap.

EDIT: Nah, you're not dropping it down too far so the extra tension won't be too bad, its not going to warp your neck. If you were going down to like Drop B though you would def need to adjust it then because its a huge drop
My rig: ESP Eclipse II --> bulk amount of pedals --> Orange Rockerverb 50w
Last edited by theFACEdude at Sep 18, 2010,
IT's not gonna hurt your neck, only your tuning. I'd lock a whammy in still position if you consider changing tunings, I did just to keep it always in tune.