Hey,

So recently I've noiticed I only sometimes have my thumb on the back of the neck, rather to over the top.

Probably because I'm self taught I've got into this habit. I've seen some people say it's ok to do for chords and stuff, but I use it alot really.

The only time I move it to the back is when I need to stretch a lot, but should I be in this position all the time or what? It seems uncomfortable for me to play like that all the time?

Thanks
Your hands must be free, not bound to any specific locations. I put my thumb behind for barre chords, stretches and some special licks.
Both are OK. Naturally you'd want to be able to shift your thumb to the position where it is needed at all times. (which it seems you are doing). As long as you're able to vary your grips and switch between them easily... I'd say you're fine.
Have it behind the neck for pretty much everything. I only have it over the neck for doing bends, vibrato, and some chords where it's needed to play the 6th string.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Have it behind the neck for pretty much everything. I only have it over the neck for doing bends, vibrato, and some chords where it's needed to play the 6th string.

This.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Junior#1

So should I be trying more to place it on the back? I find it easier personally for over the top, but then if my playing will suffer I'll try to change.
Sorry for the double post, but I've been playing and realised it's hard for me to have my thumb on the back of the neck, so should I so what feels best or try to change?
I'd recommend trying to get used to having it in the back, over the top is much more difficult unless you have really long hendrix like fingers. things on the lower strings are hard to fret, on the other hand, you may want to use your thumb to fret something on the sixth string...
Quote by DeadlySurfer
Sorry for the double post, but I've been playing and realised it's hard for me to have my thumb on the back of the neck, so should I so what feels best or try to change?

Placing your thumb over the neck restricts stretch and finger control/independence. You should learn to play with the thumb behind the neck; it'll feel weird at first (I also had to relearn my grip) but after a while, it will really improve your playing.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
It's best to try to get used to having your thumb at the back of the neck. Try lifting the neck up so you don't have to angle your wrist.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.