I'm really not sure if this is the correct place to post this, so apologies if it's in the wrong place.

I'm a complete beginner, and I'm looking for a few song recommendations. Just on eor two songs to help me get a foothold into guitar.

Any recommendations at all are welcome.
Only you can read this....
The usual ones most kids learn are 'Iron Man' and 'Smoke on the Water.'

My best advice is to listen to whatever music you have, find something you like that's easy, then find the tabs for it and go from there.
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Ok, before anyone shouts at you saying that if you are beginner don't play songs practice your technique, i would like to say first that DO NOT play songs! (I hope bold and capital letters are emphasizing ) I really mean it! Practice technique there are really good lessons on UG

Gear
Schecter Jeff Loomis NT (7 string bad-ass)
Esp Ltd Deluxe MH-1000 FR
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363
If you wanna learn how to play something, first you gotta listen it!

Last.fm
Quote by Rangor6363
Ok, before anyone shouts at you saying that if you are beginner don't play songs practice your technique, i would like to say first that DO NOT play songs! (I hope bold and capital letters are emphasizing ) I really mean it! Practice technique there are really good lessons on UG

Who the fack wants to learn techniques instead of songs?

When I began learning, I did not giave sh1t for technique, I didn't even know about them.
Quote by Rangor6363

I think he should learn at least a song or two that he likes so he has something keeping him interested in guitar. Technique is obviously useful but if he doesn't know any songs it'll get boring fast.
Quote by Rangor6363

ignore this ^. You can practice technique after you get more comfortable playing guitar. Songs like Secret Agent Man, Come as you Are, any Beatles song are real easy. But if none of that interests you just look up a tab for a song you like. A lot of Pop and rock songs are very easy if you take your time and practice.

Also of you don't know chords yet take some time just learning some open chords. There are plenty of sources online with diagrams of the most common chords. Most of all just keep playing and have fun with it. Good luck!
I hate my sig
if you can do power chords, a lot of green day songs are fairly easy (i'm not slagging off greenday, i quite like green day, just pointing it out).

smoke on the water (the riff) is fairly easy, yeah. smells like teen spirit... walk this way... stuff like that. it's probably easier to learn easy passages/riffs at the beginner stage than full songs.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks guys.
Err, regarding what I can already do; I can play the opening bit to Weezer's Island in the Sun.

I generally suck at chords though
Quote by lemon_detective
Thanks guys.
Err, regarding what I can already do; I can play the opening bit to Weezer's Island in the Sun.

I generally suck at chords though

Well there's something to start on then

Quote by LoudLove5150
Well there's something to start on then

Ah, I see what you did there. I can do the chords, it's just changing between them is hard.
Quote by lemon_detective
Ah, I see what you did there. I can do the chords, it's just changing between them is hard.

Then work on that. Best thing is to isolate your problem, then work on fixing it.

if i remember correctly how to play that, mr jones by counting crows is fairly similar, might be worth a try too. don't cry by guns n roses, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you don't already know them, learn you chords first. Much more helpful and it's up to you how to play them and what rhythm to do so. It makes ya feel good.

Me, being the Metallica fanboy I was, learned Enter Sandman first IIRC. Just draw influence from your favorite artists and start writing. That's what I did =]
Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Lefty
-Epiphone Les Paul Special II Lefty, name's Sonny =)
-Danelectro CM-1 Metal Pedal
-Danelectro CC-1 Chorus Pedal

I've been playing since Summer '09
Quote by BluSouthPaw
If you don't already know them, learn you chords first. Much more helpful and it's up to you how to play them and what rhythm to do so. It makes ya feel good.

Me, being the Metallica fanboy I was, learned Enter Sandman first IIRC. Just draw influence from your favorite artists and start writing. That's what I did =]

That was the first song I learned as well.

But Fell in Love with a Girl by the White Stripes is super easy. It's the same 4 power chords repeated through the whole song.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
As a novice guitarist, the first song I learned to play all the way through was (Baby I've Got You) On My Mind. Powderfinger. Power chords are your friend.

Also the Grinspoon cover version of Don't Change by INXS is pretty easy as well.

If you want to try some drop tunings, check out An Ode To Death by Birds of Tokyo (Drop D). All the tabs I've seen for the song are a bit not-right but if you play along with the track, you can pick it up really easily.

Also, Head in My Hands by Birds of Tokyo is pretty easy as well.

For open chords, try Zombie by the Cranberries - even the solo is pretty easy.
I believe a poster mentioned Iron Man by Black Sabbath. Its a very easy song to play--all power chords. Anything by Motley Crue is usually pretty easy, stuff like Dr. Feelgood and Shout at the Devil. Also, TNT by ACDC is pretty easy.

Hope that helps.

ron666