Alright, I was just listening to the Toxic Waltz by Exodus, and I was struck by how huge and aggressive the guitar tone sounds on this song.

Does anyone know what guitar was used to record this, and what amp? I'm very interested to know as I think this might be the ultimate metal tone?

This is the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia5SZAKkYyw
I'm not sure, but it most likely has EMG's.

The majority of the thrash bands from the 80's had EMG's or active pickups, which is why their tones usually sounded very similar.
Last edited by TMF128 at Sep 18, 2010,
You sure about that? I'm sure Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax and Exodus used standard non active humbuckers in the 80's, although they may have turned to actives now? I dunno, I just thought of active pickups as a more modern thing?
Quote by kerkhammet
You sure about that? I'm sure Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax and Exodus used standard non active humbuckers in the 80's, although they may have turned to actives now? I dunno, I just thought of active pickups as a more modern thing?

EMGs were designed in the 70s as jazz pickups. People began realizing their potential to boost already overdriven amps to create a nastier sound, so they began marketing them for metal as well. Metallica switched to EMGs right after Ride the Lightning. Dave Mustaine from Megadeth used Seymour duncan JB/Jazz combo until he switched to Dean, and began using Seymour Duncan Livewire actives. Slayer has always used EMGs.
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Last edited by LoudLove5150 at Sep 18, 2010,
Quote by kerkhammet

As far as I know Metallica were among the first to use actives, and they didn't use them until Justice. Kill through Master was all Jackson or Gibson through Marshall or Mesa.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Last edited by Thrasher51 at Sep 18, 2010,
Quote by Thrasher51
As far as I know Metallica were among the first to use actives, and they didn't use them until Justice.

MOP, actually. They began using them right after Ride the Lightning

Also, Glenn Tipton was the first recorded metal guitarist to use them. He had a custom guitar made in 1984 with an EMG 58 and a Kahler trem.
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Rick and Gary from Exodus both used Ibanez & Jackson guitars throughout the 80's. Can't help you with pickup or amps.

I bought this album on vinyl in 1989. Damn I'm old.
My stuff:
Gibson Les Paul Special w/- humbuckers
Gibson Flying V
Ibanez RG550 1992
Epiphone Wildkat
LTD EC50
Marshall AVT150H
Marshall 1960A reissue
Fender Pro185
A wife who thinks I have too much stuff....