Poll: Who do you think is better in the grand scope? (leave a post explaining your choice)
Poll Options
View poll results: Who do you think is better in the grand scope? (leave a post explaining your choice)
Templars
30 41%
Hospitallers
13 18%
CHIVALRY IS DEAD!!!
31 42%
Voters: 74.
Who do you think is cooler? more honorable? better organized? etc?

Knights Templar or Knights Hospitallers?

I finished reading a book on the Crusades last weekend. Thats why I'm asking. I'm not trying to sway people a certain way or anything, I'm just curious as to what the general consensus is.

I'll be adding a poll so if it doesnt show up, just wait a minute or two and it should show up.

What general consensus? You act as if this is some pressing issue. I don't really care. The Hospitaliers got persecuted by the Church and cursed the Pope and the French royalty, so I'll go with them.
Shit,

I kind of wanna reinstall Medieval: Total War now and find out.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
i had a mental block when we dicussed the crusades in class so i'm saying Templars because they have a cooler name
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Historically, the Hospitallers were in league with the Assassins during the Crusades (the Seventh or Eighth I think it was). And towards the end, the Templars and the Hospitallers actually worked together (which is something that goes against each of the Order's idealogies), but eventually fell out at the end of the Eighth Crusade. I think it was the eighth.

I dont remember which crusade was which, I mostly remember details about pillaging villages when supplies grew short, nobility using crusades as justification for the conquest of more land and vassals, the looting of richer towns, power-politics, corruption, etc. the book talked about the historical stuff, but the main theme was the corruption.
The ones who enjoy crammin' ass-ass, namely the Assassins!

What are we talking about?
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by angusfan16
The Assassins.

This.
What are you dense?
Are you retarded or something?
Who the hell do you think I am?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

April 19th, 2011: The Night of the Boob

Assassins, but for the poll I picked Templars.
DO YOU LIEK ME???

cause i dont like you

Quote by Floods_Solo
Lol. If insomniac's were called something less cool like "cock lords" or something I bet there would be significantly less people claiming to be it.
In my opinion, I think more people choose Templars, because they have a higher profile.

You see someone on the street, 'you've heard of the Templars, right?'

guy says, 'oh,yeah. sure.'

"what about the Hospitallers?"

'the who? what-what?'

^
Case in point...
Quote by pag_slash_2

This guy

That actuall looks more renaissance period. Althought the reconquista (crusade to take back Spain from the Moors), didnt succeed until almost the end of the 15th century (around 1495, 1498, somewhere round there). So actually, that is a valid choice.

However as it is not on the poll, your opinion is officially void. <-thus speaketh the TS.
Quote by neptune1988

That actuall looks more renaissance period. Althought the reconquista (crusade to take back Spain from the Moors), didnt succeed until almost the end of the 15th century (around 1495, 1498, somewhere round there). So actually, that is a valid choice.

However as it is not on the poll, your opinion is officially void. <-thus speaketh the TS.

In retort, I say to ye:

'Admire not the pedants and academics, though their minds may be large, their souls are small and brown, like a small rock in a river'
Quote by neptune1988
Historically, the Hospitallers were in league with the Assassins during the Crusades (the Seventh or Eighth I think it was). And towards the end, the Templars and the Hospitallers actually worked together (which is something that goes against each of the Order's idealogies), but eventually fell out at the end of the Eighth Crusade. I think it was the eighth.

I dont remember which crusade was which, I mostly remember details about pillaging villages when supplies grew short, nobility using crusades as justification for the conquest of more land and vassals, the looting of richer towns, power-politics, corruption, etc. the book talked about the historical stuff, but the main theme was the corruption.

The assassins were real?

Also, granada fell in 1492. That why Ferdinand and Isabella had time to do that funding stuff for Christopher Columbus.
The Knights Hospitaller are still around, so I'll take them for their longevity. Plus they had one of the most badass fortresses ever: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krak_des_Chevaliers. That thing was almost impenetrable.

The professor I had for my Crusades class hated talking about the military orders like these. She said they weren't nearly as important as people seem to think they were, and that she's tired of all the press the Templars get.

I'm reading this book right now:

It's obviously not about military orders, but it's pretty interesting.
Quote by bogeaqyt
The assassins were real?

Also, granada fell in 1492. That why Ferdinand and Isabella had time to do that funding stuff for Christopher Columbus.

Of course they were. Where do you think they got the word "assassin" from? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashshashin
Teutonic Knights
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
None. As you may understand, I've kind of got something against the Crusaders.
Quote by jimmyled
None. As you may understand, I've kind of got something against the Crusaders.

Ancient history bro. Build a bridge and get over it.
Quote by daytripper75
Ancient history bro. Build a bridge and get over it.

no, no. He kinda makes a good point. If I had grown up in Israel instead of the USA, I'd be pretty pissed about religion-based politics/wars too.

His country (Jerusalem), had been, and still does, been fighting each other and surrounding countries (i.e. Gaza Strip, Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, etc.).

Those countries have been fighting each other since Biblical times. like Mesopotmian ancient times, Roman ancient times, Trojan War ancient times, like...you get the idea...
Last edited by neptune1988 at Sep 18, 2010,
Quote by daytripper75

I'm reading this book right now:

It's obviously not about military orders, but it's pretty interesting.

This is the one I finished reading...awesome book, even if it does mostly ramble on the corruption of the military orders and nobility trying (and failing EPICALLY) to establish crusader-states. A good book none-the-less.

ninja.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
They're both despicable. What kind of ****ed up question?
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
I have no idea. I never learned anything about the Crusades from any of my history classes so far. All they talked about were sacrifices on pyramids and the Odyssey and stuff.
I'll go with Hospitallers since I've never heard of them.
cat
Hey ****heads!!!!

Teutonic Knights for the win!!!
The Templer and Hospitallers fell apart as the Crusades ended. The Teutonic order just moved to Prussia and began a bloody war against the Lithuanians.
Didn't the Templars set up one of the first banking systems? I think that is pretty badass.
Quote by DeadlyIllness
Hey ****heads!!!!

Teutonic Knights for the win!!!
The Templer and Hospitallers fell apart as the Crusades ended. The Teutonic order just moved to Prussia and began a bloody war against the Lithuanians.

Except the Hospitallers didn't disappear. Ever hear of the Kinghts of Malta? Yeah, that's them.

The Hospitallers are still around today.
Quote by neptune1988
no, no. He kinda makes a good point. If I had grown up in Israel instead of the USA, I'd be pretty pissed about religion-based politics/wars too.

His country (Jerusalem), had been, and still does, been fighting each other and surrounding countries (i.e. Gaza Strip, Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, etc.).

Those countries have been fighting each other since Biblical times. like Mesopotmian ancient times, Roman ancient times, Trojan War ancient times, like...you get the idea...

True, infact, according to Biblical texts, his nation originated with the Hebrews (monotheists) fighting the Canaanites (polytheists).
The Templars were the precursors to the Freemasons, so Hospitallers by default.
this guy all the way

Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!