Page 1 of 2
If you live in the UK, chances are that you've had your first, or even second, week of Uni.

How do you like it?

Personally, I love it.

Go, Pit, go!
I'm about to start my fifth (and final) year. I don't want to leave
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
I start my first year tomorrow. Bricking it.
I know you think that I'm someone you can trust.
But I'm scared i'll get scared and i swear i'll try to nail you back up.

Female SouperHero
Started about 3 weeks ago, it's been fun so far despite being sick the last week. Got my own flat and meeting up with some people next week.

Quote by cofinboy
I start my first year tomorrow. Bricking it.

Sure you'll do fine, cassie.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I still have a week to go. I move next Saturday.

EVERYONE is going before me, feeling left behind

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Quote by Kensai

Sure you'll do fine, cassie.

Thanks Kjell
I know you think that I'm someone you can trust.
But I'm scared i'll get scared and i swear i'll try to nail you back up.

Female SouperHero
It's gonna be be my third week, so far I love it, but damn I'm gonna have to work really really hard in french xD(I have to do well in french since I'm going to be a teacher).

I'm studying to be a music teacher by the way.
I'm leaving tomorrow morning. Really scared but I have a few friends going to the same uni soooo I should be alright ! I just wanna get started with work now though, i've had three months off, now I got a week of freshers stuff. Sure it'll be fun but I don't have the money!
PSN: Noverion
Quote by Random88
I'm about to start my fifth (and final) year. I don't want to leave

This makes me wanna really, REALLY want to enjoy my Uni experience.
Just finished my third week. I'm doing Civil Engineering and I'm not regretting it so far.

I don't have a place to stay there yet, so I spent about 3.5 hours a day travelling, but that'll change soon enough and then I'll be able to enjoy my student life more.

The only thing I don't like is that only 1/6th of my year is female.
I don't leave til next week, and I can't wait. Most of my friends have left today and I miss them already, plus I can't wait to be rid of my family, who drive me round the fucking twist. I'm not too worried about making friends, because everybody's going to be feeling the exact same as me.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Still got another year to go because I took an impromptu gap year after high school
Really looking forward to it, but I have no clue where I want to go
ohai little sig.
just started my 3rd year this week, same boring crap different year
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Last edited by bellamy_morello at Sep 18, 2010,
I'll be happy when everyone stops talking about the goddamn uni all the time. Seriously, I don't care wether you enjoy it or not, I'm way too busy enjoying it myself.

whilst browsing the pit >.>
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Funny thing, my mom actually just started at uni. My family does everything ass-backwards.

edit: Not UK, though. My bads.
I'm in the UK and I don't start for another 2 weeks.
"Loathe metaphors. Pander to undereducated masses. Get doctorate, have a real conversation" Mordin Solus
How do universities in the UK differ from ones in the US?

I'm not at a university, but I started my second semester of community college a few weeks ago. It's alright, I guess. I really wish I could transfer after my second semester, but I think my parents want me to do two years.

I refuse to call a university "uni." I think it's a silly-sounding abbreviation, like "advert." In the US, we just call university "college." I'm not sure why.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Sep 18, 2010,
Quote by CaptainRon
Sure beats the shit out of high school. It's kind of nice being around other smart people for once.

You have no idea...

Uni (or college as we call it in the US) isn't about smart; it's about work. I highly doubt that US colleges and UK Unis are different in this aspect.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
You have no idea...

Uni (or college as we call it in the US) isn't about smart; it's about work. I highly doubt that US colleges and UK Unis are different in this aspect.

Nah, the stupid people don't go in the UK. You're not expected to further your education like you are in the US. That I know.
Quote by Holy Katana
Nah, the stupid people don't go in the UK. You're not expected to further your education like you are in the US. That I know.

'Tis a safe haven for the smarts I hear.. Where students can frolic and talk about Calculus freely without the fear of being beaten up.
Gear:

Ibanez SR700
Ibanez GSR200
Yamaha RGX 121Z

Peavey Tour series 450 Head + Peavey 410 TVX Cab
VOX ADVT15

Line 6: Guitarport
Last edited by Headcrusher! at Sep 18, 2010,
Your first year/year and a half of university is basically still high school with more lax schedules.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Holy Katana
So, wait, what do you mean by "course?"

In the US, we take several courses.
I just meant that teaching doesn't start for me until then

stratkat
Quote by Firenze
Your first year/year and a half of university is basically still high school with more lax schedules.

Yeah, well that's because we don't have anything that's post-high school and pre-university, other than community college. In the UK, you can learn about higher-level stuff in your A-levels, then pick a field and study that. We don't do that in the US. Instead, you pick your major, and you take a few courses related to it in your first two years, but you also have a variety of other courses you have to take from several different subjects.
UEA doesn't even start til the 27th.

I've been in my uni house for 2 weeks, it's awesome now most of us have moved in and everything has been fixed.
Went out last night, tried out the new Vodka Revs bar. It was amazing and I got terribly wasted.

Looking forward to starting 2nd year, it's gonna be lots of hard work though. Kinda nervous about it all. I'm going to be a "Maths buddy" for the freshers too. Should be interesting. I just hope they don't want help with their coursework, I only just scraped into second year
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

After a day and a half of travelling I finally arrived at Nottingham yesterday. Welcome week starts on Monday, loving the campus and everything but right now I'm bored out of my mind, nothing is going on. I did see a fox though, which was slightly entertaining.
Quote by Holy Katana
How do universities in the UK differ from ones in the US?

I'm not at a university, but I started my second semester of community college a few weeks ago. It's alright, I guess. I really wish I could transfer after my second semester, but I think my parents want me to do two years.

I refuse to call a university "uni." I think it's a silly-sounding abbreviation, like "advert." In the US, we just call university "college." I'm not sure why.

College comes from different areas of a University. For example, my University has about six colleges including Darwin and Keynes, all with their own building and accommodation.

If you do a science in the UK, you do just that science with some maths if necessary. If you do an arts course in the UK, like History, you can do just straight History. We don't have any general education requirements. There's more coursework involved as well compared to the US, it seems.
Quote by Holy Katana

No, there's a completely different trend that has emerged over the last decade or so. The UK Government is now cutting student numbers and people are emphasising other forms of education/work/work based education because too many people were getting degrees.

There was another thing. Mind escapes me.

But yeah. I think it's so silly when I hear Americans boast that college is about drinking 'Oh! We're going to get an older friend to buy us alcohol and then we're going to rock out like teenagers in our house, yeah!' Silly billies. It's about bar and pub times.
Quote by Craigo
No, there's a completely different trend that has emerged over the last decade or so. The UK Government is now cutting student numbers and people are emphasising other forms of education/work/work based education because too many people were getting degrees.

There was another thing. Mind escapes me.

But yeah. I think it's so silly when I hear Americans boast that college is about drinking 'Oh! We're going to get an older friend to buy us alcohol and then we're going to rock out like teenagers in our house, yeah!' Silly billies. It's about bar and pub times.

And parties, after all, few pubs are open 24 hours a day, how are you supposed to drink 24 hours a day when the pubs are shut?
Page 1 of 2