Ok, so I`m about to start my first "real" build. Kinda. I have a guy that wants to cut the body on big wood cnc thing. He will cut it, do the routing, and bevel the edges on the machine. As a plus he is giving me most of the wood. I am going to talk to him about making a neck, or making this a neck-thru project, as opposed to the bolt-on neck it currently is slated to be.

As it stands, the specs are similar to(probably not exact) as follows:

Solid Purpleheart body
4 String
Existing maple bolt on neck(with a few mods)
-New headstock, modified BC Rich widow shape
-Ebony or exotic fingerboard

Single Humbucker in the bridge position
Black Hardware
String through
Ebony Iron Cross inlay in body
Passive controls
-Volume, Tone

Things I am not sure about(input appreciated):
Fretless or Fretted?
Do some things with switches(like my P-bass)?
What to use as a fretboard(I would like a bit of contrast(not purpleheart))?

I have nothing to physically show so far.....but here is picture of what my inspiration was:

Mine however will be symmetrical(perfectly so, cnc and all ) Also, I am basing it off the splittail, because I think epiphones version is disproportionate.

Thanks in advance,
Jake
Luna Phoenix, Kustom II bass amp, generic 15" PA speaker
"Magic Man", unknown old bass, mid 70`s Jap import

It`s my guitar, and if you don`t like it, well I don`t care if you like it now do I?
I mean this with every bit of love and respect possible. But that thing is uglier than the hairy version of the wangcaster.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
I mean this with every bit of love and respect possible. But that thing is uglier than the hairy version of the wangcaster.

Each to his own, right?

Quote by Gyoung1991
Curious to see how it turns out

You might be waiting awhile, as we are almost done. With the planning stage that is

It`s my guitar, and if you don`t like it, well I don`t care if you like it now do I?
Last edited by Valkyrie_Design at Sep 18, 2010,
Ebony, zebrawood or flame maple fretboard would look pretty cool.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Solid purpleheart? How's the price on that?

For fretboard, wither Wenge or flamed Maple.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
Solid purpleheart? How's the price on that?

For fretboard, wither Wenge or flamed Maple.

I think weight would be a bigger issue than the cost. Purpleheart is DAMN heavy. Are you doing any weight relieving TS? You'll end up with a spine like a question mark
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
The guy has the purpleheart LAYING AROUND. (Not trying to be a dick, just how awesome is that)

I was actually leaning towards zebrawood, or maybe satine(bloodwood).

As for weight, I am going pretty thin on the body. If that isn`t enough, the I guess I`ll make the first ever semi-hollow purpleheart flying SG bass . Just kidding, but I will figure something out.... Also, the body won`t be much bigger than the guitar version. It still won`t be small, but whatever.

Any opinions fretted vs fretless? I known its personal opinion, but this will be a classic rock/metal bass. I guess I could always build it fretless, then put frets on later if I don`t like it. Or, if I don`t like it I can sell it and build one that won`t destroy my spine

Keep the ideas coming.

Jake

EDIT: By the way, do you guys think that Lt.DanHasLegs response is worth sig-ing? Just curious(new to forums).

Last edited by Valkyrie_Design at Sep 18, 2010,
If it's really heavy just make it a full-size bass body with chambering and top it with more purpleheart. Like, take the blank, cut a 1/2" top off it, chamber away, and glue the top back on, something like that.
My Tele Project!

Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Like I said, we`ve got awhile to figure that out. Anyway, here is a crappy photohack direct from MS Paint:

That is if could do what I want. Purpleheart sides on a bloodwood neck through, with an ebony fingerboard. The rest of it was put on so it looked like I did work

Hopefully I can start this project soon.

Jake

What kind of scale are we talking here? 34" and it will look unbalanced and ungainly, not to mention it will neck dive imo. The standard SG is 30.5" and looks unsteady. And if you're thinking of keeping the body guitar SG size...it may look like a lollipop on a stick.

What switches are on your P bass? a parallel/series? Any reasons for the single 'bucker at he bridge? I'm not saying stick with the past or anything like that, but the SG (and most Gibson basses) are known for their low-end grunt, and that's usually obtained at the neck pup. and of course, gives you some diversity to your tone.

EDit : Forget the pup question, i'm guessing it's more of a MM Stingray position? And another edit : If you're putting those large, standard Jazz/P machine heads on, you're putting a lot of weight into that already unbalanced area.
Last edited by Micehorns at Sep 19, 2010,
Quote by Micehorns
What kind of scale are we talking here? 34" and it will look unbalanced and ungainly, not to mention it will neck dive imo. The standard SG is 30.5" and looks unsteady.
I was actually thinking about a Ric scale length(33.25"), with the neck set down into the body more. Neckdive is pretty well negated by the V lower bout(in theory).

And if you're thinking of keeping the body guitar SG size...it may look like a lollipop on a stick.
The splittail body is larger than a standard SG, and mine will be a little bigger than that. I`ll make sure it`s enough to not look disproportionate.

What switches are on your P bass? a parallel/series? Any reasons for the single 'bucker at he bridge? I'm not saying stick with the past or anything like that, but the SG (and most Gibson basses) are known for their low-end grunt, and that's usually obtained at the neck pup. and of course, gives you some diversity to your tone.
The switches are just random tonal effects(should have mentioned that), but on this bass they would be more useful(coil tap, out of phase, series/parallel).

EDit : Forget the pup question, i'm guessing it's more of a MM Stingray position? And another edit : If you're putting those large, standard Jazz/P machine heads on, you're putting a lot of weight into that already unbalanced area.
Yah, its where the humbucker on my primary bass is, I like the tone, especially with some assorted switching thingamajigs. I plan on using Gotoh style tuners(I already had a chopped Fender tuner pic saved to my computer).

Responses in red. Good discussion, keep it coming

EDIT: If you notice, I was also too preoccupied by the pretty colors to put my widow headstock on it, or put the iron cross inlay on the body. Also, can anyone think of any good names for this thing, I`m open to suggestions.

Last edited by Valkyrie_Design at Sep 19, 2010,
Quote by Mike-T93
If it's really heavy just make it a full-size bass body with chambering and top it with more purpleheart. Like, take the blank, cut a 1/2" top off it, chamber away, and glue the top back on, something like that.

This would solve the weight issue very gracefully. Do this

Quote by the_perdestrian

For the love of God no.
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I would like to leave it solid, but if the weight is too much, then I will probably chamber it. I still have to discuss it with the guy who is helping me. However, I do not know how big a "full-size" bass body would be. As far as I know, there has never been a bass flying SG. The closest thing I can think of is a dean ML bass.

And I`ll pass on the hole-y V.(note I do not spell it in the church sense)

Jake

Last edited by Valkyrie_Design at Sep 19, 2010,
A full-size bass body would be proportional to the neck with respect to the guitar version, as opposed to slapping a bass neck on a guitar body.
My Tele Project!

Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
I hadn`t quite realized what you had meant there. I have a sort of template thing(full size) of the size I want, and it looks pretty good with a bass neck. The body is bigger than any bass I currently own.