I was thinking about getting the Peavey Valveking 112 it sounds really great but I want to hear people who own it feel about it.I heard the speakers arn't that good but i can change those out. If I can't get that I think i'll get the vypyr series or the tube vypyr
Donnell McKnignt
Quote by DonnellMcKnight
I was thinking about getting the Peavey Valveking 112 it sounds really great but I want to hear people who own it feel about it.I heard the speakers arn't that good but i can change those out. If I can't get that I think i'll get the vypyr series or the tube vypyr

Depends on what you play, and how much you want to mod it.

It's nice if you put an EQ in front of it, and no gain boost. (for lighter metal, thrash etc.)

Generally, Peavey speakers aren't good. So you'll have the same problem on the Vypyr. Replace the stock valves first, then the speaker. Gen an EQpedal and/or an overdrive to tighten up the sound, and push it into harder overdrive.
If you're still not satisfied, either sell it, or look at some of the mods in the Valveking thread.

I'd take a modded VK over a Vypyr.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
it's a good amp for what it does. there's an entire thread dedicated to the vk somewhere around here.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Sep 18, 2010,
^ +1

it`s a good amp that is very easy to mod, but you can take your time over modding it, the speakers aren1t that bad once you break them in, but the stock tubes are horrible.
I have been a HUGE peavey endorser my entire career (currently use the Ultra 112 and 212) and I will agree with the speaker inadequacy. That is my biggest beef. They are stellar company though, and very versatile units.

I've not played either of the ones you're looking into, but I got my 112 for 300 and it still serves me on stage til this day (giggity). Check it out!
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Thanks guys it is pretty sweet and maybe some time down the road i'll mod it either way it's way! better than my Marshall MG
Donnell McKnignt
Quote by Levi79
Valvekings are great amps. But not for metal. Don't make the mistake of "oh, tube amp = br00talz" Like I did. It is not a high gain amp, therefore can't do metal, but it is great for everything else basically.

It can't do your typical preamp gain modern metal, but it sure as hell can do metal, I assure you that, just takes hot pickups, lots of tweaking of the texture control, and a boost pedal.

Mostly stock VK with a WGS V-30 speaker using Barenuckle Painkiller: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8920099/Random%20180bpm%20fast%20riffing2.mp3
Quote by Levi79
Valvekings are great amps. But not for metal. Don't make the mistake of "oh, tube amp = br00talz" Like I did. It is not a high gain amp, therefore can't do metal, but it is great for everything else basically.

Not true. With replaced tubes and the lead boost on, it's very capable of metal. It doesn't sound very good for death metal, and it lacks a lot of that important "oompf", but it does metalcore well enough.

I basically did the same thing as him though. If you're playing primarily heavier metal, skip over the VK. It can do metal, but it wasn't meant to do metal. It's strongest point is it's cleans. I will never get rid of this amp, for the sole fact that it's cleans are so lush that they give me a heartache.

The Vypyr is a completely different beast. You can't really even compare them, because they're just too different. The VK is a classic/hard rock amp, while the Vypyr is a modeling amp capable of doing almost everything pretty well.

It's really important that you tell us exactly what you're trying to play.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ethan_hanus
It can't do your typical preamp gain modern metal, but it sure as hell can do metal, I assure you that, just takes hot pickups, lots of tweaking of the texture control, and a boost pedal.

Mostly stock VK with a WGS V-30 speaker using Barenuckle Painkiller: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8920099/Random%20180bpm%20fast%20riffing2.mp3

Is that you playing?
Last edited by patriotplayer90 at Sep 19, 2010,
Quote by DonnellMcKnight

I'd only recommend a VK if you can get one used for around $250 or so.

Otherwise I'd go for the Vypyr Tube, it'll sound alot better than the VK without mods.

That said, the VK can do metal, as ethan_hanus has said. As you can hear, it sounds surprisingly raw, whereas last year my biggest problem was that the distortion was far too 'tame' sounding. Check my profile clips, I'm playing some Killswitch stuff in the 'Heavy Tone Test' clip.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Sep 19, 2010,
Quote by Raijouta
I'd only recommend a VK if you can get one used for around $250 or so.

Otherwise I'd go for the Vypyr Tube, it'll sound alot better than the VK without mods.

That said, the VK can do metal, as ethan_hanus has said. As you can hear, it sounds surprisingly raw, whereas last year my biggest problem was that the distortion was far too 'tame' sounding. Check my profile clips, I'm playing some Killswitch stuff in the 'Heavy Tone Test' clip.

Stealing MatrixClaws riff huh?

That actually sounds good, I was surprised. Obviously more for Metallica type metal, but for that i think it definitely sounds better than a Vypyr
I've allways thought tubes sound better. And i'm not much a fan of the vypyrs red/green led layout but it's better than any of those line 6s out there.
Donnell McKnignt
Quote by patriotplayer90

Is that you playing?

Yes, yes it is, I was surprised I was able to double track that at 180 bpm so tightly.

But yeah, the VK can do metal, just not the typical metal we think of, more of a middy bite type metal. If I would of drop tuned to drop C or even Drop B it would of been more heavy. That's one thing that's cool about the VK, the lower you drop your tunings, the heavier it gets. I was in drop D when I did that clip.

So for $400 it's a pretty good deal. Great amp to learn how to mod and EQ and tweak on.
people exagerate the vk not being good for high gain. my friend has the valveking head, and with EMG's, you dont even need an OD pedal, it gets good metal distortion
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yes, yes it is, I was surprised I was able to double track that at 180 bpm so tightly.

But yeah, the VK can do metal, just not the typical metal we think of, more of a middy bite type metal. If I would of drop tuned to drop C or even Drop B it would of been more heavy. That's one thing that's cool about the VK, the lower you drop your tunings, the heavier it gets. I was in drop D when I did that clip.

So for $400 it's a pretty good deal. Great amp to learn how to mod and EQ and tweak on.

That's a dynamic amp for you. Great playing and I'm really digging that tone. Sounds much better to me than those fuzzy boomy high gain tones you normally hear.
I don't care if they are "tube amps" I think Valve Kings sound like ass in stock form and they're just okay modded. Try out a XXX. I like them more than 5150s.
I'm new to ultimate guitar and wanna see if anyone can help me with getting a good metal setting for the peavey valveking. I really like bands that have a hardcore metal sound like sepultura, machine head or biohazard.
Quote by Elitoxicdawn
I'm new to ultimate guitar and wanna see if anyone can help me with getting a good metal setting for the peavey valveking. I really like bands that have a hardcore metal sound like sepultura, machine head or biohazard.

this is an ancient thread start a new one. for the record tha VK really isn't the first choice for those bands. again start a new thread and I'm sure you can get some help (I use a VK112 myself)
Besides a couple Randalls, all I've ever owned were Peavey amps and speakers. I honestly don't care for the new made in China stuff, it's better than Line6 though. I think Peavey made great speakers up until the Blue Marvel, which isn't made by them. The Black Widow, Scorpion, Sheffield 1230, Sheffield XXX, all great speakers. Luckily there are still plenty of used old USA stuff all over the place at great prices to score whenever needed.

I even think the new stuff feels cheap, not just sounds it. You could do worse, but for the money, I suggest buying something else like .... idk ... I only ever play old Peavey and Randall stuff so I honestly can't say what other brands price ranges are. I know they're more than Peavey though. That's why I always go used. You just have to know what you're looking for.