Hello there.

I understand something with led zeppelin in the title is probably damn annoying because its just people trying to emulate the tone with bad equipment, but i need a hand here.

Im trying to get a studio style (ish) reverb for zeppelin style riffing/recording etc, but im not sure what to get.

I know jimmy probably used a reverb chamber or his echoplex unit most likely, which is a tasty piece of kit but oh so expensive. That combined with his micing effects.

The closest ive heard for getting the kind of distant echo he got on stuff such as the psychedelic bit on how many more times was the malekko spring chicken, which of course was a limited ed, there is also the spring chicklet but its not quite the same, and its a horrendous amount of a money for a pink pedal thats tiny.

Any ideas? im looking for something thats able to create distant sounding reverb mainly, rather than just something that makes you sound like your playing in your bathroom.

Oh, and heres the song i refer to just to give you an idea of what i mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RBxfSHw6KQ

Psychedelic bit is at 3:54 onward as far as the reverb sound i want is concerned.

Last edited by Down&Out at Sep 18, 2010,
I would venture to say the sound youre looking for isn't from a reverb. Maybe the horse hair bow he used? Reverb is just the amount of sound coming back, and what he's doing is beyond reverb.

Could also be a leslie or a tremolo effect.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Yeah, the reverb there isn't anything crazy, it's that he's playing with a bow. Any decent room or plate reverb emulator will get you the reverb portion of that tone but that's not the important part of the equation.
He is playing with a bow, but you can tell theres some distance in there, like when he pulls the bow off theres some very distant echo that doesnt seem that availible with most reverbs
tube tape echo + plexi + bow= thread
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
The whole reason i asked is because i cant afford about £850 of plexi and £400 of tape echo...
Quote by Funk Monk

dude, you're just a wealth of useless advice lately

that pedal will get the TS nowhere close tot he sound he's trying to acheive. thew sound is a bow with some reverb/delay. Unless there are some secret hax that make the LF7 a Bow in a box.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
OK, listening to that it's a pretty basic reverb. The problem unfortunately is that there aren't a lot of great reverbs out there, and the ones that are great are expensive. Personally, I would look really hard at the WET Reverb. I bought one, put it in my rig, and haven't turned it off since. But it is expensive.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by stykerwolf
He used a Gizmotron, i don't know about the track but i'm going for the "he recorded in a room suited for reverb" thing.

Any good reverb pedal should get you that, check out the Earthquaker Ghost Echo if you found the Chicklet boring

He cant have used a gizmotron on that track because its a 1968 track and the gizmotron was invented in 1973. I'll check out the ghost echo.

Quote by Even Bigger D
OK, listening to that it's a pretty basic reverb. The problem unfortunately is that there aren't a lot of great reverbs out there, and the ones that are great are expensive. Personally, I would look really hard at the WET Reverb. I bought one, put it in my rig, and haven't turned it off since. But it is expensive.

I'll also have a look that, cheers for the heads up.
The recording and production on the first (and all of their) albums was amazing. Jimmy knew what sound he wanted, and nailed it. I'm still amazed at how great that first album sounds. Decades later.
Speaking of "decades later"...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!