hellooooo!

ill cut to the chase, im looking to buy an EQ for my amp, im nearly set on the mxr 108 but im wondering about rack mounts? like this one http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/77418
call me noob but can i simply plug this into my amps effects loop? or is it more complicated then that?
Yep, you can plug that directly into the amp effects loop. That's how I run my eq and I love it that way. Sure, it's harder to work with than a 10-band and you might get more frustrated, but if you set it, then you're good, and it doesn't take up space on your pedalboard.

That, and you've got very fine control if you need to tame a frequency or two (I did).
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
To be honest, I think going for a 31 band will just mean you're endlessly playing with the EQ and never actually playing the guitar. I'd try and find a used MXR 10-band - generally runs around £80 and is a little more user friendly. Of course, if you're willing to spend the sheer time needed on 31 bands then go for it, but for me it would be overkill.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
what range is the eq linked? it just says 20-20khz?

also wintersteel i to have an rg50tc, does the eq, either the mxr or 31 band really help tone shape it?
Last edited by razorback91 at Sep 18, 2010,
Yeah, an EQ really opens up the amp. Trust me, you'll try to go back and think that there was a blanket on your amp.

The 10-band is easier to work with and takes only a minute to get a decent tone. The 31-band takes a LOT longer, but you've got very fine control over the bands if you want it. I found the stock controls on the RG50TC had very little control, so I got an external EQ (MXR 10-band) and it opened it up a LOT. Then I upgraded to a 31-band and haven't looked back.

The range is pretty much from 20hz-20khz, but there's 31 bands within that, so there's a number of frequencies covered. There's a lot in the midrange, a fair bit in the treble and a large amount in the bassier frequencies (you can probably leave those at neutral, but it's up to you).
Amps

Guitar

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
thanks for the reply! i've got £280 in the bank, £100 of that is going to my parents but i've got another £50 coming soon so i'll have £230 to spend this month.

Im thinking either an eq (mxr £99 or that ART £126) a new bridge pickup (£70-80) or simply waiting a few months until i have enough for a 6505+ 112 for £450

im torn i dont know what to do, any advice
Well, do you like the tone of your RG50TC? Have you tried out a 6505+ 112?

Either way, regardless of the amp, an EQ would help out a fair bit. I wouldn't do a pickup swap unless you really think it's the pickup that needs changing. I did it, and though there's a difference, I think a more readily-heard difference comes from a good EQ.
Amps

Guitar

Effects and Etc.
im going to try out the 6505 when i get the chance and will definitely get an eq if i dontlike the 6505 or after it if i do , so i'll be leaving the pickups 'till im rich :p
Good call. I think that the 6505+ will open up more with an external EQ, but that's the case for most amps. The combos will tend to be looser sounding, as the cabs are usually open-backed, or at least semi-open, considering they've gotta hold the head in there too (proper ventilation and whatnot).

If you're looking for a cheap EQ to hold you over until you get the 6505+, get the Danelectro Fish n Chips. It's a cheap pedal, but it really works very well! Over here in Canada, it costs about $45, while the MXR 10-band is at least $100. Better than the Boss EQ, from what I've seen.
Amps

Guitar

Effects and Etc.