I am a guitarist, and Im getting into bass to play with some friends. How big of an amp will I need to play with a small band? Music is chill, john mayor type stuff.
I am looking at a 100w one of Craigslist for 150$. Will this be loud enough?
impossible to tell without any more information.

even then it's hard to judge.

x

EDIT: I'm going to say no though, MOAR WATTS!
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Generally I would say to try for around 200 watts, with 100 watts you might have to mic up your amp or run into the house for more volume support in larger venues. But if your just jamming around 100 watts should be fine most likely.
Any less than 500 and I start getting annoyed
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
200 is generally what you need for gigging depending on the brand/speaker arrangement a 100 watt will do you.

if you have no plans on gigging ever and you're just gonna be playing chill stuff lke john mayer a 100 will do ya.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Small venue and nice clean sound for guitars etc. and 100 watts will get you by. It's good to get a bit more like 200-300 for medium venues and any bigger you're going to want to run into the PA.

Metal band that cranks it and such, would mean more wattage of course. it's all up to how loud your band is.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
How many watts depends upon what the rest of the band are up to, how efficient your speakers are and the tonal balance of your 'sound' and whether or not you go through the PA as well.

I've written an article on this. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/making_it_loud.html

Generally 200W through a decent speaker will cover most situations but you would be better off reading the article and making your own mind up