Page 1 of 3
Hello UG Forums,

I'm looking for a new amp to suit my needs.
My Sound: Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Audioslave, Rage, Smashing Pumpkins, Creed, Alter Bridge, Filter, etc...

My Needs: Looking for my amp to produce that classic 90's alternative rich thounderous distortion.

Use: I play with a drummer, needs to be gig ready, useable at home.

Amps I've Owned In order: Peavey Transfex 208s, Line6 FlextoneII and III, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, Fender CyberTwin 212, Vox Valvetronix30, Fender G-Dec 30, Peavey JSX 212, Jet City JCA20H.

None of these amps have really ever produced the sound i'm looking for. The more research I do, I think the Mesa Boogie Rectifier line is the only solution. Although I don't want to lug around a $2000 head and $1000 412 cab, and the JSX combo was nearly 100lbs and a pain to carry.

I love the Rectifier sound, especially the Roadster ($2000) I think would be the perfect amp for me. I just can't justfiy that kind of money, and possibly to much power for basement use.

What do you all think?
The rectifiers would suck for pearl jam and many bands on your list.if you like the sound that's fine but I believe you would be sacrificing tone for alot of gain that you don't need. Try looking into splawn
I say, buy it. I doubt you will regret it. Plus who says you will be playing in a basement the rest of your life. Its tough in the city but the right neighbor hood you can jam pretty loud. And mesa is more about tone, you can buy a Line 6 half stact for cheap that will be too loud as well but the tone will suck.
Quote by britishsligean
have a look at blackstars ht range or series one range they're very versatile amps

I agree. I play the same stuff (FILTER FTW) and I'm looking at getting a Blackstar. The 90's sound is a little bit more organic and mid-rangy than the one a Rectifier is generally associated with.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
im pretty sure pearl jam uses plexi's and tweeds. maybe a few reverb amps form the 60's as well. so maybe look at a bassman or something. or a used splawn of sorts
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
wont get you the clean side of things you want
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

Quote by wick001
What do you guys think of the Peavey 6505+ 112 combo?

that's basically good for high gain only.
I just checked out the Blackstar's on youtube, don't really like the sound. Not really a fan of Marshalls either...

I really think that Mesa is only way to go for me, they just have a certain sound that i love, that rich deep distortion...

Now which one. Recto-verb?
Quote by wick001
I just checked out the Blackstar's on youtube, don't really like the sound. Not really a fan of Marshalls either...

I really think that Mesa is only way to go for me, they just have a certsound that i love, that rich deep distortion...

Now which one. Recto-verb?

Those are highly regarded. But tbh it won't be a great differentiation from the jsx. That is just a variation of the xxx which is quite like a recto(i played them side by side)
Last edited by patriotplayer90 at Sep 18, 2010,
try a mesa boogie maverick, they get great cleans(arguably the best oo any mesa) and with a boost/pedal it could get you some decent distortion, although it is only really meant for blues/hard rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ_PugXlEHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mln2QomXbIM&feature=related
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Last edited by megano28 at Sep 18, 2010,
I was not a fan of the JSX distortion at all, it was to fizzy and unusable for my taste.

I'm loving the sound of the Mesa 5:50 and Recto-verb... possibly the Rectifier 50 solo head? But for portability, i'm highly considering another combo...
Quote by megano28
try a mesa boogie maverick, they get great cleans(arguably the best oo any mesa) and with a boost/pedal it could get you some decent distortion, although it is only really meant for blues/hard rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ_PugXlEHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mln2QomXbIM&feature=related

also these amps go for about 800 bucks on eBay so it is in your budget range and the 2x12 combos weight like 80lbs so it won't be too excessive for you.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
I have it down to the Express 5:50 212 / Recto-Verb 112 / Roadster 212 / Roadster Head.
I will withhold my hatred for mesa and suggest one of the last three. You should be able to find awesome prices on the rectoverb
Last edited by patriotplayer90 at Sep 18, 2010,
I also suggest a Marshall, a JCM2000 would be my first suggestion, JCM800 may work better or worse - I haven't had as much time with one. When I think of Mesa, 90's alternative doesn't even come to my head.

At the very least, try some Marshalls out, as I'm not the only one who thinks that they're what you're looking for.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
why are you looking at crazy high gain mesa's im pretty sure the bands your looking at use power tube distortion over preamp tube distortion. you need the good ole crank them and play them amps. look at a used orange or50. all the bands you listed except or creed and filter(im not sure about them) use british tube amps that they crank up.
roland AC90

Firstly, I'm a huge fan of 90's alt rock/hard rock.

A lot of those guys were using Marshall amps with fuzz pedals in front. The Big Muff was very popular.

Not sure a Dual Rec is going to nail that tone to be honest. Perhaps reading up on the rigs used by some of the folks you'd like to sound close to would help you go in the right direction.
why would you say your looking for bands that have low to mid gain sounds than give a video of pretty high gain stuff.....what is it that you want
roland AC90

I'm looking for an amp that can do the sound in the video I posted... Staind is another bands sound I like, listen to FADE by staind (I know they use marshalls), Creed/Alter bridge is another one.

I want that thick, meaty, distortion!
It seems to me that all those other amps, the peavey's, blackstar, orange, soldano, etc... all have more of a tinny sounding distortion you know?
Quote by wick001
Check out this video, go to 3:30... this is almost the exact sound i'm looking for....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZc1NKjCXig

If that's what your going for then you want a recto.but that is the last thingi would want my or any one elses tone to sound like. But if you want that ultra generic fizzy lifeless tone then get the mesa
Quote by britishsligean
have a look at blackstars ht range or series one range they're very versatile amps

The HT series are vintage-voiced mid-gain amps. They’re not even close to what he needs.

Anyway, if what you need is a rectifier tone at a lower price Bugera makes a knockoff for under $900. But if you really want over-the-top fizzy gain without breaking the bank try out the Digitech TL-2 distortion pedal. It’s not a versatile pedal, but it really nails crazy-fizzy gain.
Quote by wick001
What do you guys think of the Peavey 6505+ 112 combo?

Love it. Have it. I use my Ibanez w/EMGs for metal on the lead channel and a stock strat thru the clean/crunch channel for cleans/blues. It works fine for both. Not sure why folks say it can't do cleans. You can of course roll back the vol knob to soften it up and use the mid/neck PUPs to smooth it out even more. Hell, even on the lead ch I can clean up the EMGs just by rolling back the vol knob. I think it's a lost art for many of today's players.
Quote by wick001

I'm loving the sound of the Mesa 5:50 and Recto-verb... possibly the Rectifier 50 solo head? But for portability, i'm highly considering another combo...

Those both sound like good options. Play a Splawn Nitro someday if you can too.
Quote by patriotplayer90
If that's what your going for then you want a recto.but that is the last thingi would want my or any one elses tone to sound like. But if you want that ultra generic fizzy lifeless tone then get the mesa

Someone doesn't know how to EQ a Mesa, lol. Anyway it's all opinions man, you really have to try certain amps to appreciate them, and by try, I mean have some decent knowledge on how to tweak it. Mesa's take much more time to tweak properly than say, a marshall. Whatever you get you will probably want a Big Muff though, since thats what you seem to like.

See if you can try some various Marshalls, Mesa's, Oranges, whatever, with a Big Muff.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
I didn't read all the posts. But if you're cool with used, definitely pick up a 2000 DSL, or if you can find them as often as me, pick up a Mesa F-100 combo. That amp is killer.
Quote by jpnyc
The HT series are vintage-voiced mid-gain amps. They’re not even close to what he needs.

Anyway, if what you need is a rectifier tone at a lower price Bugera makes a knockoff for under $900. But if you really want over-the-top fizzy gain without breaking the bank try out the Digitech TL-2 distortion pedal. It’s not a versatile pedal, but it really nails crazy-fizzy gain.

Wow... TriRec for under $800??? this has me thinking now... to bad they don't come out until next month!
Page 1 of 3