Poll: Which one?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one?
Dimarzio FRED
6 67%
Seymour Duncan JB
3 33%
Voters: 9.
Ok so I wanna know about how the JB compares to the dimarzio FRED. I love the fred from what I heard, It nails classic rock tone and shred tone. I love mids wich the FRED has and I looked at the tone chart thing for the JB and it has an up slope from the bass to the treble. I really like treble too hahaha. Anyways, which is crisper sounding and has better clarity? and which has better harmonics? Thanks in advance!

Oh and I play classic rock, shred, classic metal, and Jazz/fusion

I've never tried the JB but I have tried the FRED

I like not spiked mids (which is why I love the fred)

If you vote please post a reason why you picked the pickup you voted for!
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Last edited by evhbrianmay at Sep 19, 2010,
So can anyone voice their opinion other than voting?
(PM Me.)
i konw nothing about seymour duncans but the dimarzio fred is very capable of what your after, you`ve only got to listen to Satch using on flying in a blue dream to hear what t`s all about.

plus there`s sound clips on the dimarzio site

it largely depends on what guitar you are going to put it into though

http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickups/
http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickuppicker/

it`s a shame Mr Flibble has left UG he was the pickup guru
i think the jb is probably a fair bit hotter. it doesn't really have that vocal mid thing that the fred has either, though it has a pretty big mid spike. EDIT: yeah, don't go by the poll, you have no way of knowing what their voting criteria is. At least if you post you have to post a reason (or if you don't you look like an idiot)...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Two things need answering really - what's your amp and what guitar is it going in? It'd also help to know what kind of sound you're aiming for, and in particular how you want it to differ from what you're currently getting.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'm going through a vox vt50. I'm looking for future reference as I may get an Ibanez S420 which I've played and the pickups are definitely not the best, but I still have time to look/play guitars before I get my next one.

Oh! and Dave, I thought the JB had an upslope tonewise because on SD's website it says bass:5 mid:6 treble:8.

Also I like a rather sharp attack (think Trans-siberian orchestra if you listen to them) that can warm up a little by moving the tone knob a little or lust rolling the treble off a little
(PM Me.)
FWIW, I can't stand the JB. It's very icepicky bright and has this weird upper mid spike.

The Fred? I haven't tried it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I would actually look into the Dimarzio Norton. It is very versatile and sounds great. It has a lot of the qualities of the Fred but with some hotter output qualities added into it
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by oneblackened
FWIW, I can't stand the JB. It's very icepicky bright and has this weird upper mid spike.

The Fred? I haven't tried it.

I kinda like Icepicky sounding pickups....

And do not! DO NOT!!!! reccomend me the EVO or EVO2. I tried 2 guitars one with an evo and one with an evo 2 and I didn't like the tone AT ALL!!!!! But I did like the tone going thru a carvin Legacy!
How are the JB's harmonics?

Does it pick up harmonics well?
(PM Me.)
Any aftermarket pickup is "good at harmonics", provided the player is good at them, however this discussion is moot as there's no point worrying about any of this until it actually applies to your situation ie when you actually possess the guitar you're thinking about fitting the pickups to.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
yeah the harmonics are pretty good on the jb. but as mark says, they're pretty good on most decent-or-better aftermarket pickups.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?