Page 1 of 2
I don't usually make threads in the pit but this REALLY ****ed me off big time. I guess this is geared towards the guys from Northern Ireland. Here's the story...

My friends brother liftted home 2 woman whilst we were in the car. They were the most the most bigoted basterds that I have ever encountered in my life. I got hurled abuse such as "you hun bastard, my family will shoot all your loved ones, I hope you all die of a painful death".

At this day and age I would of thought people would of grown up from this childish digusting behaviour. It really has disturbed me on so many levels. If this is to continue in the future then god help our community, we are doomed.

Have any of you guys encountered this kind of behaviour in your community?
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal

What?
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
It's still a big thing in Scotland. It sucks ass. Just let people get on with their lives. Just because you believe in different things doesn't (necessarily) mean you can't get along.

And the violence that comes with it... Violence is the ugliest thing in the world. Hands down.
Yes, I also believe all women should be secretaries.
Guitar - The true Religion
Well I can undertand why you Americans haven't a clue what I am talking about about. The main problem in Ireland is between Protestants and Catholics. Always has been as long as I can remember. These range from attacks to familys involving petrol bombs (especially in my area) but more frequently to verbal threats to one another.

[EDIT]

and to add, I spat in her face for being a biggot ****.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Last edited by Adam124 at Sep 18, 2010,
I can't imagine secretary work being too hard.

Quote by captaincrunk
A bastard is just a child without a father, I thought.

Close. A child born out of wedlock.

I am a bastard.
Damn secretaries....taking calls and such.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by blackflag49
Joe Biden's wife is a total cougar.

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!

XBL Gamer Tag:

Arch Enemy65
Hun = protestant

Catholic = fenian or taig

Sorry I didn't classify this before.

It's a very ****ed up society I live in.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
A Hun is a bigoted term for a Protestant.

EDIT : Jesus, I was slow.

There are still areas in the West of Scotland that are seen as Protestant and Catholic areas. Obviously never as bad as NI. My grandfather remembers a building company that had a sign "No blacks or fenians" outside. That wasn't some distant past either.
Last edited by Micehorns at Sep 18, 2010,
Quote by Micehorns
A Hun is a bigoted term for a Protestant.

Thank you. I'd feel the same way way if someone called a Catholic a taig. Is sectarianism a big problem in Scotland?
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Adam124
Thank you. I'd feel the same way way if someone called a Catholic a taig. Is sectarianism a big problem in Scotland?

There are many different areas that you just wouldn't show your religion (ie - wear a Celtic or Rangers top). There are certain areas that have had a strong Irish immigrant background, places like the Garngad for example.

Then we have our July celebrations, where Orange dressed gentlemen like to make a lot of noise and generally like to provoke people by marching through obviously risky areas. And we also have Irish marches.

It's a sad and primitive thing that I really wish would end, but it's so ingrained in Irish, N. Irish and West of Scottish life that it will take generations to leave.
Welcome to mankind TS.

People hate those who are different. It is human nature. Us vs. Them thinking.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Protestants and Catholics aren't even that fucking different. It's the same damn religion. That's actually an issue in Ireland?

Fucking religion. You both have the same imaginary friend, just because one of you believes he likes to play catch more than he likes to play hide and seek doesn't mean you have to beat each other up to see who's right.

Fuckin' A.
Quote by Adam124

i can't blame you, i remember the part in the bible where jesus did that to judas.
Quote by Adam124
I don't usually make threads in the pit but this REALLY ****ed me off big time. I guess this is geared towards the guys from Northern Ireland. Here's the story...

My friends brother liftted home 2 woman whilst we were in the car. They were the most the most bigoted basterds that I have ever encountered in my life. I got hurled abuse such as "you hun bastard, my family will shoot all your loved ones, I hope you all die of a painful death".

At this day and age I would of thought people would of grown up from this childish digusting behaviour. It really has disturbed me on so many levels. If this is to continue in the future then god help our community, we are doomed.

Have any of you guys encountered this kind of behaviour in your community?

I feel for you.

It really is ridiculous when you consider that the cause for this is religious differences within Christianity, and people are murdering each other over it, which according to Christianity in general (believed by both sides) is a major sin that results in an eternity in Hell.
Either they are really, really stupid, (which is looking the likeliest) or they aren't particularly religious, which, if it's the case, makes you wonder what they actualy have against each other.
its more historical than religious,its just that religion was a difference between most republicans and unionists so that became something that they used as a badge. wolfe tone was a protestant and he was a major figure in the early independence movement

EDIT: charles stuart parnell was from a protestant background as well and he was one of the most important republican politicians ever
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Last edited by Eggmond at Sep 19, 2010,
nowadays yes it is just petty tribalism but in the past there was valid reasons for dissent and rebellion
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

it's just ****ing idiocy and nothing more. I've never met any catholic or protestant 'sectarian' who actively practices the religion...
Quote by Eggmond
nowadays yes it is just petty tribalism but in the past there was valid reasons for dissent and rebellion

Agreed, but like you said, it's 'history'. If everyone fought because of it we'd still be fighting the Germans and the French and the Spanish, ect, ect.
thats my point.religion isnt the root of the problem.its just an identifier each side associates with
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Quote by Eggmond
thats my point.religion isnt the root of the problem.its just an identifier each side associates with

Yeah, they may as well be fighting over which end of a boiled egg they open.
Bloody hell, I thought sectarianism was left behind in the 1970's, I didn't realise that this shit still went on.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by crazy8rgood
Protestants and Catholics aren't even that fucking different. It's the same damn religion. That's actually an issue in Ireland?

Fucking religion. You both have the same imaginary friend, just because one of you believes he likes to play catch more than he likes to play hide and seek doesn't mean you have to beat each other up to see who's right.

Fuckin' A.

religion itself isn't the cause, simply that catholics are generally republican and protestants are generally unionist.

albeit certain religious nuts, Paisley, are intent on stirring up trouble
Yeah, I hate it here in Scotland.

You can't talk about Scottish football without feeling self-conscious about your religion or their religion, ffs. Seriously, who the shit?!

That's why I DON'T talk about the SPL (which sucks, anyway!).
Quote by garfgarfgarf
It's not so much about religion but down to Unionists (mainly Protestants) and Republicans (mainly Catholics). Republicans want to be part of a Republic with the whole of Ireland and Unionists want to stay with the UK.

Surely though that correlation points to religion influencing a person's decision to be either a unionist or a republican?
no not at all.thats all down do history and ancestry.religion plays no part in it
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Quote by Adam124

Ah, so you're a **** as well. Awesome.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Your country instills religious rifts in the younger community in this day and age? Cool place.
Quote by Eggmond
no not at all.thats all down do history and ancestry.religion plays no part in it

So why do Unionists correlate so well with Protestants and why do Republicans correlate so well with Catholics?

I'm not suggesting that they are actualy fighting over actual religion itself, I agree that they are fighting over chiefly political differences, but I think it's obvious from the correlation that a person's religion (or rather the traditional religion of their family) has a hell of a lot to do with which political side they traditionaly take.

I'm reminded of something a friend of mine from Belfast once told me. He said that in Belfast, if someone asked what religion you were and you answered 'atheist' they would probably ask 'Are you a Catholic atheist or a Protestant atheist?'
generally republicans from the south would be catholic and unionists would be protestants and thats where the trend started.nowadays its all to do with how your brought up.people dont make a conscious decision to become unionist or republican like they would to be liberal or conservative.its all about tradition and whether your family 'had their land stolen from them'
or 'this land has been in my family for hundreds of years.we conquered you so give up'.its all to do with the prevailing mentality of your social group when your are growing up

edit: and yes that joke has some truth in it.its all about your tribe, not your religious beliefs
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Last edited by Eggmond at Sep 19, 2010,
You said women so im assuming they were a little bit older? It tends to be a problem for the last generation because they grew up thinking "Im a Catholic, Protestants are bastards" or "Im a Protestant, i ****ing hate Catholics". Its all slowly going away. Any kids who are still doing it are just doing it because their parents do it.
DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING
and
CAREFUL NOW

No man needs a holiday more than the man who has just had one.
So your friends lifted up 2 women and called you a bastard and threatened to kill you.

This is confusing.
Quote by Zolom
You said women so im assuming they were a little bit older? It tends to be a problem for the last generation because they grew up thinking "Im a Catholic, Protestants are bastards" or "Im a Protestant, i ****ing hate Catholics". Its all slowly going away. Any kids who are still doing it are just doing it because their parents do it.

This reminds me of a conversation I had a 7 year old kid, the son of a friend of mine.

He said "Are you a Rangers fan? Or a Celtic fan? I HATE Celtic..." D:<

Now, this kid was 7 years old, for god's sake, and he argued about Celtic as if they had killed his family or something XD

No wonder everyone is so messed up with these issues if they are brought up to "HATE" a team/religion, especially at such a young age.

It may be slowly going away, but boy, is it ever slow.
Quote by Eggmond
generally republicans from the south would be catholic and unionists would be protestants and thats where the trend started.nowadays its all to do with how your brought up.people dont make a conscious decision to become unionist or republican like they would to be liberal or conservative.its all about tradition and whether your family 'had their land stolen from them'
or 'this land has been in my family for hundreds of years.we conquered you so give up'.its all to do with the prevailing mentality of your social group when your are growing up

I see, so it's more of a case that historicaly, with the English invaders being mainly Protestant, and the native Irish being mainly Catholic, that's where it stems from.
The association of the English with Protestantism actualy originates with the separating of the Church of England from Rome in 1534 during the reign of King Henry VIII, which causes many people to assume that the Church of England is Protestant, but it actualy isn't. The Church of England regards itself as both Catholic and Reformed at the same time. Kinda Catholic but with Protestant influences.
Quote by Eggmond

edit: and yes that joke has some truth in it.its all about your tribe, not your religious beliefs

Well yeah, that was kinda my point. My friend says that regardless of your own origins, you may be someone from a completely different country altogether that hasn't a clue about the 'troubles' in Ireland, you will still be defined as either a republican or a unionist depending upon your family's traditional religion, even if you really have no political viewpoint on the matter whatsoever.

Like you say, it's 'tribal', a 'for us or against us' kinda thing.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 19, 2010,
Page 1 of 2