My ex wants to put her healthy dog to sleep due to separation from another dog

Poll: Should the other dog be put to sleep?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should the other dog be put to sleep?
Yes
8 2%
No
396 98%
Voters: 404.
Page 1 of 4
UPDATE: I told her that my friend works in a shelter and I told him about this thread and that he threatened to call SPCA. She went for it and broke down saying that she loves her dogs too much to do that to them.

So my ex-girlfriend has two dogs. One is older and has a bunch of tumors and will be put to sleep soon, and the other is middle aged, and still healthy. She explained to me how close the two dogs are and claims that they cannot be apart for more than five minutes. Obviously that's BS because I've seen them apart for hours.

Anyway, she said "It's gonna suck when the sick one dies, because then we'll have to put the other one to sleep too because they can't be apart from each other".

Now this is what's going through my mind.
" ?????"

Like really, I am 100% against euthanasia unless in extreme circumstances where the animal is in actual physical pain. It's no different from murder and it's her own dog she's talking about.

Fact is, dogs can feel pain. But like humans, time heals all wounds. I know some of you have lost a pet, or even family members and friends. It was bad at the time but you didn't have your friend kill you, right?

So forget about morals here because that varies from person to person, think about common sense. Should she put her other dog to sleep just because it's in emotional pain from the other dog being put to sleep?
Last edited by Twist of fate at Sep 19, 2010,
No, that is ****ing ridiculous. No reputable veterinarian will do it, anyways.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Fist pump her face, bro.
Tonight I kill your fucking face.
I killed your face.

HG FC: 4211 7971 0287
Plt FC: 3052 1000 9033
My dog was super depressed for a while after we had to put the other one down, but she got over it after a while. I wouldn't put both dogs down, that shit's ridiculous.
Obviously not. That's the stupidest shit I've ever heard.

I see why you broke up with her.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by captaincrunk
Why didn't you smack the bitch?

It's amazing how often problems can thusly be solved
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
Quote by dudetheman
Obviously not. That's the stupidest shit I've ever heard.

I see why you broke up with her.

Thank you for realizing that this thread is posted 90% because I don't like her, in fact I'm gonna show her this thread.
I accidently voted yes... I'm an idiot. @_______@

Such an obvious answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Absolutely NOT. Like you said, putting down an animal should not be done unless it is in physical pain at all times.
My friend had the same situation with her two dogs. The younger one was quite sad after the older one was put down, but they got another puppy, and the younger one is as happy as ever now.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
I highly doubt that her other dog will feel the same kind of sadness a human will. Dogs are NOT humans. They don't feel like humans. That's what makes us human; we think and feel. Dogs aren't the same.

And I doubt that any reputable vet will put an animal down for "emotional distress". Btw, our family has put down 2 dogs. The first was about 14 years old. We'd moved it twice. Since it had severe artharitis, we put it down. The second got bladder cancer, and we put her down after she was pissing blood. But we had them both for awhile. We didn't kill the second when we put down the first. That'd been stupid.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 18, 2010,
I had the same thing happen. My younger dog did get a bit depressed but I just try my best to give her more attention now and she seems much, much better. They're just like people and take a while to get over it. My older dog, Fred, was the leader so she had to learn how to do more for herself but once she did, she was a wonderfully happy again. I think it took around a few months.

No on putting the other doggy down
Last edited by BananaMartyr at Sep 18, 2010,
As Popo would say, "Well look at that a woman that doesn't know any better."
Oh well ignorance is bliss after all.
The first thing the vet will ask is if the dogs really old or really sick. That is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard though.
She can't be thinking clearly. I hope she doesn't go through with that.

edit: Maybe at least give it some time before you decide to put it down? This is something that you might really regret in the future.

editedit: I hate to break it to you guys, but (depending on the state) *most* animal shelters will have it done for free.
Last edited by -[NiL]- at Sep 18, 2010,
Dude,
all i can say is she sounds like a ****ing psychotic moron.
im just glad to hear shes your ex.
Microsoft Works...there's and oxymoron for you.
just tell the bitch that if she goes through with it, she'll have to commit suicide if you ever happen to die.

A good smack will work just as good
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
i dont even like dogs, at all.
but id never randomly kill one for stupid shit like that.
good god, i never knew anyone though like that, outside of serial killers and shit.
that thinking is so ****ed up it bothers me.
Microsoft Works...there's and oxymoron for you.
one of mine dogs got run over back in mexico the other one refuse to eat and died shortly after
im thinking its cause one was male and the other female and they had a thing going on but still sad
dont do it unless the other dog is actually dying
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I highly doubt that her other dog will feel the same kind of sadness a human will. Dogs are NOT humans. They don't feel like humans. That's what makes us human; we think and feel. Dogs aren't the same.

And I doubt that any reputable vet will put an animal down for "emotional distress".

Dogs definitely do think and feel. It's incredibly arrogant and narrow-minded not to perceive this.
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
Quote by derpdragon
As Popo would say, "Well look at that a woman that doesn't know any better."
Oh well ignorance is bliss after all.

Oh so funny you said that. She called her brothers ignorant the other day. I've discovered a cycle of ignorance where ignorant people call other people ignorant because they are ignorant.

Anyways, I edited the title and the post in an effort to show my ex this thread which will hopefully change her mind. Honestly it reminds me of the girl throwing puppies in a river.
Quote by captaincrunk
But their weaker memory would allow them to rebound faster.

This I do not deny.
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
Just feel lucky that YOU'RE not a dog, too. She may've opted to put you down, after the split.

All kidding aside... That's a dumb idea. There's no reason to put down the healthy dog. That's just idiotic.
Hope she has fun being married. Anyone she marries is gonna have to worry shes gonna put him down if someone close to him dies.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Every single thread you come in to you manage to argue with someone.

Anyways I had two cats that were litter mates, aka twin brothers, and one of them died accidentally at the vet and the other moped for about a month and then just got over it and actually became more friendly and personable as if he was "stepping his game up".
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by captaincrunk
But their weaker memory would allow them to rebound faster.

My dog took quite a while and she's still a little bit different after it. She learned to play with the cats more and ask for more attention from my family. It does take more work to keep them happy once they lose their friend but hopefully you love them enough to try to do that ^.^
Since this psychopath is apparently going to read this:

What the **** is wrong with you? Sadness is part of life. Do you honestly think that your healthy dog will want to die because they are sad? What makes you think you even have the right to make that kind of decision? A dog is not a toy. They are living, feeling creatures -- somewhat like you are supposed to be. The fact that you would even consider doing something so incomprehensibly callous demonstrates that you should never even have adopted dogs to begin with. I imagine you will be sad about putting the other dog down as well -- ought you to kill yourself? Did you put even a moment of thought into your decision to murder this creature that trusts and depends upon you? Disgusting.

A dog I grew up with recently died. He is survived by his sister and friend of 13 years. She is sad. She is getting over it. She still enjoys life, she still runs around, she still wags her tail. Life goes on. What you're contemplating doing is unabashed murder.
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
Last edited by Vornik at Sep 18, 2010,

On another note. Are You Dead Yet by Children of Bodom happened to be playing when i read this
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. I accidentally voted yes lol.

I am 100% against her stupid ass logic. That would be murder. If anything, you should put her to sleep for being a dumb b1tch.
ya no vet will agree to that lol, take the dog, oh...and ya might want to secretly kidnap the other dog, for all you know she is gonna load its food with sleeping pills...

@#$% whats gonna happen if she ever has kids!

your ex could be one of those psycho women you see on dateline NBC!
As it's been said before, the solution is to get another puppy. Dogs are social creatures - I have four - and the dog is going to be really sad. It will miss the other dog for a really long time. But having another puppy will give the dog someone to care for and spend time with.

Also, giving the dog lots of love is key. But putting it down? That's unbelievably stupid.
How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!The world forgetting, by the world forgot...
Page 1 of 4