I've noticed when some people sweep pick they just rake their pick down and just let their fingers like hammer on the strings without the help of the pick when they come up
Is this the correct way to sweep pick or does it even matter?
If you pick the other notes, I believe it's called economy picking.
If a pizza has a radius of "Z" and a height of "A" it has a volume of pi(z)(z)(a)
i've never noticed that - who have you been watching?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Tim.Paragon
I've noticed when some people sweep pick they just rake their pick down and just let their fingers like hammer on the strings without the help of the pick when they come up

no man, thats not correct.

if that creates a dynamic effect you like, then you can utilize it, but you should be raking down, maybe some alt picking on the highest string, and even like, starting on an upstroke so you can use 2 notes on the first string, and raking up..

but yea, you want a steady attack.
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly
I think that if you can alternate pick it, it sounds better, but slows you down albeit only a little, i'm talking when you get really, really good. If you legato pick, it's faster but it takes a long time to make the hammer-ons and pull-offs sound exactly like the note is being picked, not fingered. (which I believe is the reason some people have reason to bash legato and is generally considered to be the downfall of it.)

I don't think either way is wrong but once you get legato correct, and as the above post states to incorporate alternate picking in there, as well, it's faster. If speed is the ultimate goal. But that is just me and what i'm used to.

Try practicing a scale at the top string, picking the first note and hammering the second. Then move your pick down to the next string and pick the first note, hammering the second, and so on. Then ascend picking the pinky or ring finger and hammer with the pointy finger going up. Eventually hammer AND pull off with the non-plucked note. Practice getting your mind to feel comfortable with just one pluck and a pull off on each string so it is memorized, slowly at first and without mistakes, and feel the speed of it. Then you be the judge.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Well, it's not sweep picking if they're not picking, but it achieves pretty much the same sound. Requires a fair bit of finger strength though.
Quote by Freepower
Well, it's not sweep picking if they're not picking, but it achieves pretty much the same sound. Requires a fair bit of finger strength though.

True.

Sweeping is actually in my opinion really hard to integrate into a solo well.

I do that thing you're talking about a lot when I'm sweep-tapping. It's hard to get the pick back down in time for me.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Sep 19, 2010,