fradd
392 IQ
I'm trying not to make this a rant or whatever you forum people call it, but why does everyone think Hendrix is soo good?

His guitar playing is all randomish, and stuff. Sure, he makes...interseting....noises with it, but I don't think that makes him good.

Isn't melody and rythym important too?

It's like he just keep tapping the different frets for 5 mins and said to himself, "Now, there's a solo I like! I can't actually think about what would really sound good, so I'll use this." Seriously, there's a lot better solos than his by many artists.

So do you agree with me, or think I'm crazy? And I don't care if you tell me I'm a dumb***, go ahead.
Originally Posted by Cheeselord
Sanitarium iz by SLAYER DUMBASS!!!!!

SLAYER FAN4LIFE!
EvoLancer211
EvoLancer211
46 IQ
You're crazy...no just kidding. I understand what you're aiming for and I agree with you in some aspects, but he was innovative and different for his time that's why he was so good and what not.
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
sammo_boi
1,230 IQ
I certainly agree with you. His songs aren't very catchy, sure there are a few memorable riffs and all, but they are damn boring. He can't sing at all, and his solos are mediocre IMO. He isn't the best technical player, and when he plays live his solos sound disgusting.

Care to enlighten us anyone?
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
kurtebirdi
731 IQ
Most of his fame is attributed to how he presented himself on stage, pre-jimi most music was usually vocal-centric or heavily focusing on a piano, organ, horn, sax, wtfevar. He was one of the first big acts to put a guitar up front and feature it (as far as rock goes). Also, he was like the founding father of epic guitar solos and effect whoring.
supersac
Tab Contributor
630 IQ
cause he looked cool and inspired many others to play guitar besides the innovative stuff
Aturaya
Melodic Death Metal.
965 IQ
He was one of the first people to go crazy on a guitar, with things like wah, the trem, unorthodox playing, etc.
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy
5,267 IQ
Quote by sammo_boi
I certainly agree with you. His songs aren't very catchy, sure there are a few memorable riffs and all, but they are damn boring. He can't sing at all, and his solos are mediocre IMO. He isn't the best technical player, and when he plays live his solos sound disgusting.

Care to enlighten us anyone?

It was the 70's dude, live recording equipment consisted of a tape recorder with a mic that's equivalent to a rock band mic.

No, he wasn't that technical player, but it's the way he played, how he played, and what he played. By today's standards its not technical, but in the 70's it was extremely technical. He pretty much revolutionized music as we knew it.

I bet if he were alive today, he would still be impressing the hell out of us.
Solarstar101
Diabolus Guitarist
249 IQ
Quote by turncoat60%
Random notes? Ignorance may be the main reason you think he is mediocre.

this

to each his own opinion

but making a thread on the day of his death saying why people think hes good
your trolling or you dont understand music well enough

(i noticed how its only metallica fans who seem to say jimmy sucks)
Music is not the Olympics. It's not a sport; it's a form of expression. There is no such thing as bad music. There may be music that you personally don't like, but if you don't like it, don't listen to it.." Eddie Van Halen
Last edited by Solarstar101 at Sep 18, 2010,
offthewall91
UG's Batgirl
213 IQ
Quote by turncoat60%
Random notes? Ignorance may be the main reason you think he is mediocre.

Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!

72' Fender Telecaster Deluxe
Jet City JCA2112rc
slash4114
Doesn't really like Slash
676 IQ
Quote by fradd

Hendrix was an unbelievably talented and innovative rhythm player. Listen to Little Wing and The Wind Cries Mary.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Nirvana_RATM2
UG Addict
1,647 IQ
I pose you this question. How old are you? You really have to understand what was going PRE-Jimi to grasp why POST-Jimi was so important.
ginger5138
Has no soul...
177 IQ
The only reason he is good is because he was doing things no one else was doing. He had the best stage presence, and influenced tons of people. He isn't good. He was innovative, and influential. Nothing more.
Jyrgen
Used Register
2,053 IQ
In all honesty, I never liked his tone. He could be the most influential/known electric guitar player ever, but that doesn't make him good to me. He did write some great songs but I don't really like him as a guitarist.
youeyehat
Comfortable Liar
21 IQ
I've never been a huge fan of Hendrix, but I still understand why he's mostly considered as the greatest ever. It's (as with many artists) a perfect storm... combined with his playing, your have the era he made music, the innovations, and the fact that he died at an early age. I personally have a handful of guitarists I'd probably put ahead of him, but that boils down to my tastes.
Call me old fashioned but I prefer 'rock music' that has electric guitars.
MortifiedLizard
The Angered Reptilian
582 IQ
Quote by fradd
I'm trying not to make this a rant or whatever you forum people call it, but why does everyone think Hendrix is soo good?

His guitar playing is all randomish, and stuff. Sure, he makes...interseting....noises with it, but I don't think that makes him good.

It's like he just keep tapping the different frets for 5 mins and said to himself, "Now, there's a solo I like! I can't actually think about what would really sound good, so I'll use this." Seriously, there's a lot better solos than his by many artists.

So do you agree with me, or think I'm crazy? And I don't care if you tell me I'm a dumb***, go ahead.

The way you described his playing might work for a few of his songs but you need to actually listen to his music dude. He did a lot of RnB stuff that had plenty of melody and rhythm, very concise and standard, etc. His heavier songs were the foundation of rock music as we know it.

What you're saying really only works if all you've listened to is Star Spangled Banner and Wild Thing....
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
LutRes
Sick Sick Sick
524 IQ
You might not like his songs but Hendrix changed rock music at the time and pioneered many popular techniques. That's why he is considered the greatest.
Zoot Allures
UG's Contrarian
2,962 IQ
Quote by ethan_hanus
It was the 70's dude, live recording equipment consisted of a tape recorder with a mic that's equivalent to a rock band mic.

No, he wasn't that technical player, but it's the way he played, how he played, and what he played. By today's standards its not technical, but in the 70's it was extremely technical. He pretty much revolutionized music as we knew it.

I bet if he were alive today, he would still be impressing the hell out of us.

This is so so so not true. Lots of mics from the 70s and even from the 50s are sought after by studios today. Most modern mics are actually based off older designs.

A lot of old recordings in the 70s sound amazing. Far better than a lot of todays overcompressed over processed stuff

Also, the live vids that sound bad are probably sounding bad because you're hearing them on youtube which is low quality anyway and they've come from a decaying VHS.
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy
5,267 IQ
Quote by Zoot Allures
This is so so so not true. Lots of mics from the 70s and even from the 50s are sought after by studios today. Most modern mics are actually based off older designs.

A lot of old recordings in the 70s sound amazing. Far better than a lot of todays overcompressed over processed stuff

Also, the live vids that sound bad are probably sounding bad because you're hearing them on youtube which is low quality anyway and they've come from a decaying VHS.

No, I actually have alot of rare live tracks of some of Jimi Hendrix's concerts, my Uncle is a producer of commercials so he has alot of this kind of stuff.

I couldn't tell you what the exact concerts are, cause he burned the CD's for me.

The quality is not all that great, and even though what you say is prolly true, a lot of the modern equipment that is replicated from the old stuff is built with better materials and with better technology.

I do agree that some of the stuff out of the 70's sounded awesome, but Jimi's recordings weren't really up to par. I know he tracked every song over 150 times to get it to sound perfect, since a lot of his playing is improv, but I don't think they made use of double tracking since I don't think they knew about it back then.
MortifiedLizard
The Angered Reptilian
582 IQ
Quote by ethan_hanus
No, I actually have alot of rare live tracks of some of Jimi Hendrix's concerts, my Uncle is a producer of commercials so he has alot of this kind of stuff.

I couldn't tell you what the exact concerts are, cause he burned the CD's for me.

The quality is not all that great, and even though what you say is prolly true, a lot of the modern equipment that is replicated from the old stuff is built with better materials and with better technology.

I do agree that some of the stuff out of the 70's sounded awesome, but Jimi's recordings weren't really up to par. I know he tracked every song over 150 times to get it to sound perfect, since a lot of his playing is improv, but I don't think they made use of double tracking since I don't think they knew about it back then.

I'm pretty sure The Beatles employed the technique quite a bit actually.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Zoot Allures
UG's Contrarian
2,962 IQ
Quote by ethan_hanus

Well tracks that have just been taken from the concert won't be that great because i'm guessing they havn't ever seen a studio.

Hendrix's CD releases didn't sound that great but i put that down to him being too high to know what he was doing at the desk :p
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture
4,254 IQ
Wow, tough crowd.

The only thing I have to say about this is the following (which I have to credit to the friend of a friend of the user boldaslove1977 on TheGearPage):

"Before Hendrix, the guitar was like black and white TV. After Hendrix...suddenly we had color."

***CLOSED***

How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.