Page 1 of 2
Where do you stand in your room when you are playing guitar? How far away do you stand from your amp. I recently noticed that I stand rather far away from my amp when I record or pratice, and it got me wondering, is it normal for someone to stand farther away from their amp when they play, or am I just weird?
On My Feet.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I stand wherever I feel like standing at the time.

My room is rather small.
TS is asking where do you stand not how you stand.
im usually right in front of my amp. like 1 feet away
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
I don't stand.

I sit. Amp next to me. Angled up on a table.

Supposed to practice like 4 hours a day. I won't even stand for 4 minutes.
Im not allowed to play guitar unless nobody is home.

Typically at the computer or while im gone.
Well if you have a gig-worthy amp, most players are gonna be about 12ft away on stage, and thus the audience will be farther away than that. So I'm thinking the farther back from the amp you are (in your house) the more desirable the sound. I have a 2x12 and I try to stand as far back as possible because the treble and clarity increase as more reaches your ear. If you're used to sanding right next to your amp you may not realize how much treble you have in until you stand back a bit. Also, I find a carpeted room has many negative effects on sound.
I usually sit

And I usually play through small speakers connected to my RP250, or through an amp sim program.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Always sitting. My amp is right next to my computer desk and my guitar is within arms reach. I don't even have to get up to play lol.
Quote by FrenchBread
Well if you have a gig-worthy amp, most players are gonna be about 12ft away on stage, and thus the audience will be farther away than that. So I'm thinking the farther back from the amp you are (in your house) the more desirable the sound. I have a 2x12 and I try to stand as far back as possible because the treble and clarity increase as more reaches your ear. If you're used to sanding right next to your amp you may not realize how much treble you have in until you stand back a bit. Also, I find a carpeted room has many negative effects on sound.

I agree, this is what I figure the main reason why I stand so far away. I know I realized one day at band practice that I sounded really dull in the mix, and the soundtech told me to stand out in the middle of the room, so I did(18 foot cables FTW), and I was surprised at how well I was cutting through the mix. On stage I can hardly hear myself, but out father I was clearly heard.

Apparently the farther you stand from the amp the clear and more precise tone your gona hear.
I usually sit a few feet away from my amp.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Phew, I thought this was going to be another political thread.

Anyway, I sit on the edge of my bed about 7 feet away, or about 3 feet standing up, reading from stuff tacked on my wall (I love cheap drywall).
I play while bowing down to my government communist overlord.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
I'll stand about 5 feet away for the first five or ten minutes I practice but then I sit down on the couch. (my amps conveniently located in my living room)
I don't always post in the threads but when I do its random and pointless because I'm ignorant enough to think you care.
Well when i do stand in normally 3 meters from my amp, whilst wearing ear plugs.

But when learning a song i sit down on my stool.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
I usually play sitting on my bed. My room's pretty small so there's nowhere I can stand comfortably without hitting my guitar on something. Unless I stand right in the middle of my room, but that makes me feel ackward.
cat
Quote by dann_blood
I play while bowing down to my government communist overlord.

Are you referring to Obama or one his "czars"?

Or do you bow to the East (China) and Moa?
the sound sounds better farther away becasue when you stand too close all the sound is hitting you in the knees and not your head.

i stand 3 to 5 feet away from my amp that is sitting on my bass's 4x10 cab. my room is stupidly small though.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Are you referring to Obama or one his "czars"?

Or do you bow to the East (China) and Moa?

Actually, Nixon and Reagan had czars too.

Not that I'm defending Obama or anything.

I think he's referring to Carmel.
Quote by Will Swanson
TS, why do you want to know this?

I just want to know for one, I don't think anybody has ever asked, two, I don't think very many people realize where they stand when they play, and three if it actually does impact the tone your hearing or how you play.

I don't even think about it most of the time, I just naturally stand 8 feet away off to the side of my amp.
Usually sitting on the sofa bed, right next to my amp.
That said, I just tried standing about 10 feet away (a little less than) and the sound difference was unbelievable.
I stand in front of my mic.

even when it's not on.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Page 1 of 2