What does UG think of the FR Jackson uses on their mid-range guitars like this one? Is it remotely similar to the OFR? Will it stay in tune if properly set up? Is it made of trash metals?

And one more thing, if I was to remove the Jackson FR and try to put in an OFR, would it fit properly? Would it be worth it at all?
I've heard they're fairly good, and an LFR should acommodate an OFR with no problems.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Really, there is a lot of overhype about the poor quality of trems. I've yet to encounter a trem that has any problems when set up right. And I own an Ibanez with a Lo TRS-II. I really wouldn't worry about it. Just set it up right, take care of it, and you'll have no problems.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
they're not the absolute worst, but they're not great either. any i've tried have been really unresponsive (which i hate).

^ yeah all the people who've had trems just die on them are imagining it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm just saying. I have a guitar that is 7 years old, with a Lo-TRS II, one of the trems supposedly worse than the Edge III, and yet it still holds tuning perfectly, and always returns to pitch, even after being abused. (And with the shape that I bought in in used, I know for a fact it was abused before me.)

It just doesn't make sense. My main guitar has an FR Special, had it about a year, same deal. Still holds tuning, still returns to pitch, even after abuse.

If 2 supposedly subpar trems can do that, then I don't see all the fuss over non OFR trems. What else does a trem need to do besides that?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i dunno. I have a lo-trs and it went to crap after about 6 months. I mean the softer metal of the knife edges might as well have been papier mache.

And returning to pitch isn't the only thing, though granted it's important. Sustain (i.e. a decent sustain block of solid brass or steel), responsiveness, flutter, etc. etc. etc. are also very important.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok. The sustain is really subpar on my trems. But they are all very responsive (The FR Special moreso) and flutter well (the LoTRS much moreso - that thing flutters like a beast. It's ridiculous how sensitive it is. I love it.)

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
the Jackson bridges are pretty good.
they're not as good as Gotoh floyds or original floyds, but you wouldn't need to replace it unless you somehow manage to break it.
Quote by Offworld92
Ok. The sustain is really subpar on my trems. But they are all very responsive (The FR Special moreso) and flutter well (the LoTRS much moreso - that thing flutters like a beast. It's ridiculous how sensitive it is. I love it.)

yeah the sustain often suffers on the cheaper trems. I never got much flutter out of my lo-trs either... (mine's the I, though) EDIT: what i would say, though, is that until it broke, the lo-trs was actually really nice, pretty responsive etc. Problem is it only lasted like that for like 6 months.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 19, 2010,
Quote by darkwolf291
In general, the Jackson Licensed Floyds are better than most.
At least I think so

+1. I have no problem with my Jackson LFR, keeps tune and plays great. My sustain didn't used to be very good, but replacing the trem block helped a lot. Also, I can't flutter with it, but I never do so thats not a problem.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
People always tell me that I got "a good one". I wouldn't know, because I haven't played any other Lo-TRS II's. But the way people make them sound, there's no conceivable way mine could have lasted 7 years. I don't know. Maybe they're confusing the I with the II. I don't know how they differ.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i was under the impression the 1 was better than the 2 EDIT: I'm always very wary of the "you can get a good one if you get lucky" argument too. The cheaper trems are rubbish not because they can't make them any better, but because they're designed to be sub-par, presumably. I mean, it's no accident that an OFR or a gotoh has hardened steel knife edges and a steel or brass sustain block, and it's no accident that the cheaper ones have papier mache knife edges and a crappy alloy/pot metal/whatever small sustain block.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 19, 2010,