I'm currently working on a project for my digital illustration class and I need to find some examples of modern-day advertising for young adults (people in their 20's, late teens). However, I'm not really sure what current advertising is like these days. I tend to ignore commercials and any other advertising that I could care less about. I've been sitting here trying to find/think of any current styles for advertising but all I seem to be doing is blankly looking at my screen. So Pit, I ask of you to please post any commercials, ads, or explanations that you feel represent the current style of advertising. Any help is appreciated.
I am twelve and Что это?

Quote by Dopey_Trout
I think the problem you're having is you're trying to apply logic to Christianity, a religion based on a cosmic zombie
How about those stupid pop out adds that i get everywhere i go on UG.

edit: Old Spice/Axe
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Sep 19, 2010,
anything made by Apple.
ANYTHING
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by xMetalGodx
I'm currently working on a project for my digital illustration class and I need to find some examples of modern-day advertising for young adults (people in their 20's, late teens). However, I'm not really sure what current advertising is like these days. I tend to ignore commercials and any other advertising that I could care less about. I've been sitting here trying to find/think of any current styles for advertising but all I seem to be doing is blankly looking at my screen. So Pit, I ask of you to please post any commercials, ads, or explanations that you feel represent the current style of advertising. Any help is appreciated.

Axe. Beer.

The trend right now is to focus on having fun and seduction.

/Marketing/Public Relations Masters.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by 20cdndollars
Old Spice Guy. Seriously, best commercials ever.

This. So many commercials have followed suit and attempted to use "random humor". Most have failed in comparison though.
Balls.
Modern advertising no longer sells products based on their usefulness, and tends to try and imply that buying a product is buying into a certain lifestyle, or using psychology to appeal what people want subconsciously. That's a thing, and I know it with my brain because I saw it on a documentary.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Trucks. Cause they have that deep american heartland trustworthy voice, you know?
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
I'm really digging these ackwardly awesome guys that are used as icons for a brand i.e. Old Spice, Dos Equis, Rolling Rock, Miller Lite (the guy who played apollo creed i believe)...i just really enjoy those commercials man
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by BrokenDstring
I'm really digging these ackwardly awesome guys that are used as icons for a brand i.e. Old Spice, Dos Equis, Rolling Rock, Miller Lite (the guy who played apollo creed i believe)...i just really enjoy those commercials man

Stay thirsty my friends!
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Those Orbit gum commercials were cool....

"What the French toast?"
"Who're you calling cutie queen, you lint licker!"
Has anybody seen the new Burger King breakfast commercials? The one with the complete song and all.
free credit report commercials
Quote by SOADrox429
Dude... I want to date a drum major. I bet they could fuck in time to Tool.
Quote by angusfan16
How about those stupid pop out adds that i get everywhere i go on UG.

edit: Old Spice/Axe

I don't see any ads on any websites.

Adblock Plus ftw.

Edit:
Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep them coming.
I am twelve and Что это?

Quote by Dopey_Trout
I think the problem you're having is you're trying to apply logic to Christianity, a religion based on a cosmic zombie
Last edited by xMetalGodx at Sep 19, 2010,
Yep, branding is a big one. People will buy anything with an apple logo on it. >_>

One thing I've always thought was really kind of clever is ads at the football (this is Aussie rules footy mind, I don't know if this applies to other sports as well). At the start of the centre bounce the TV always shows this one shot that's kind of angled roughly 45 degrees looking down towards the ground with all the players standing around, and they have ads printed on the grass, but they're printed on a weird angle (at least I think they are) so that from that 45 degree angle of the camera they look like they're facing the TV screen dead on. Or something to that effect. XD

EDIT: Oh, also having little ads on smart phones and stuff now, so you can download a free app or game or whatever, but they have ads, and then you have to pay for the app to get rid of them.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
I would mention in movie/in game advertisements. like in the road, the father and son find a coke machine and there is this heartwarming scene where this 12 yearold gets his first soda, and it really brings home the fact that this is a completely different world than the one you grew up in, and it makes you understand that this boy has no childhood, and most importantly it makes you want a Coke.

BAD.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Can Geico really save you 15% or more on car insurance?
*insert figure of speech played out literally*
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I'd say that modern-day advertising is more and more moving away from the old mediums (tv, newspapers) and is trying to invent new ways of reaching the audience. Internet is super duper important.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
All the really weird candy commercials that have come out in the last few years (Skittles and Starburst specifically).
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
All the really weird candy commercials that have come out in the last few years (Skittles and Starburst specifically).

There is a whole series of videos based on Skittles character Tubesock on their facebook page. "Hit me again Tubesock! KICK MY ASS!"
Quote by Rookie One
makes jizz shoot out of your don johnson
Quote by xMetalGodx
I don't see any ads on any websites.

Adblock Plus ftw.

Edit:
Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep them coming.

Eh, i'd have adblock plus but my laptop has fucked itself and wont install anything.

Also: Snuggies.
Sail upon the open skies
Red Bull has always been a good example of branding. They never really did commercials until those cartoons.
I'd probably go for something that advertises some kind of product that's supposed to improve your appearance.

"Before I used it life sucked. Now it's awesome."
Quote by guitarist41
I'd probably go for something that advertises some kind of product that's supposed to improve your appearance.

"Before I used it life sucked. Now it's awesome."

Proactiv Acne Solution. They always have celebrities advertising that shit.
Sail upon the open skies
AND YOU'LL THANK YOUR STARS THAT YOU WENT TO GO COMPAAAAAAARE
EDIT:fix'd

Last edited by Gerard_xD at Sep 19, 2010,
Quote by xMetalGodx

My suggestion is that you stop ignoring commercials. Turn on the TV, watch an ad-break between programs aimed at young adults.
What's the point in doing a project, if you're not actively researching material for it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsU9tz3d3OY
Parody, not seen often. But frequently reposted. This one isn't really aimed at young adults however, I'm sure you can find a better example.

Look at viral marketing campaigns too.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

My work study is with the Marketing department of my engineering school, and while not my major, I've picked up on some stuff about advertising, especially education.

When you're targeting would-be students (AKA young people) you want things to appear fun and fresh, regardless of whether it actually is or not. Someone mentioned "selling a lifestyle" and that's pretty much hitting the nail on the head. We try to come off as the "cool" engineering school (I know, an oxymoron...), selling a lifestyle and curriculum of fun and interesting classes that will guarantee your wealth, and fun, in the future.

I'd say that viral marketing is huge now. Whether it is funny youtube videos or facebook pages or anything, you want to make advertisements that will be passed on to friends. Another thing is not to make it look like you are trying to sell the product, just make a funny video or something that happens to use the product. People will buy it anyway just because they saw it in the video.

Old-school ideas like talking about things like reliability or usefulness are totally out, unless you are talking about cars or products for old people.
Current Gear:
PRS CE24 Maple Top
PRS SE Corvette
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Hardwire SC-2 Distortion
Quote by OddOneOut

What's the point in doing a project, if you're not actively researching material for it?

Well the thing is, I'd rather not fail my class. It's not like I had a choice in the matter. Not that I'm not interested at all in it, I just have become accustom to blocking out any sort of advertising because the majority of the time it makes me want to thrust my head through my TV/laptop screen.
I am twelve and Что это?

Quote by Dopey_Trout
People identifying themself as their product. "I'm a Mac" "I'm a PC" there are a couple more like that too.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.