Hi all, i'm pretty new to the forums (first post, woo), and I had a few questions a little volume box called "The Suck Knob" for my Peavey Classic 30 Tube Combo amp that hopefully some people here may help me with.

I recently came across it on Ebay after i'd just upgraded to this combo amp, and I wanted to know if it would work if I just plugged it into the effects loop of my amp since it doesn't have a true master volume. I want that true tube overdrive and fuzz you get from cranking the power tubes up really hot, without blowing the roof off of my house, lol.

Here's a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/SUCK-KNOB-VOLUME-CONTROL-PEAVEY-CLASSIC-30-50-/150486982812?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2309b9209c

For $17 it seems decently reasonable, and yes I know that this is NOT an attenuator, but moreso a volume pot in a casing.

Thoughts/opinions on this? Does it seem reliable? Will it cause damage to the amp due to an impedence problem? (I wouldn't think so since mine is a combo). If anyone here has used one, does it cause any noticeable change in tone, or is it soley a true master volume that's transparent for the most part tone-wise?

I really appreciate any help that I recieve from you guys and hopefully it will help influence my descision on purchasing one of these.

Thanks!
we don't typically post eBay links in here like that

these things have been around forever and have nothing to do with your Classic 30.

it is just a volume taper potentiometer in a box. I own one. it won't hurt anything except maybe some tone. Tone is in your head though so I don't know.

k koo tnxbai
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 19, 2010,
It's not going to allow you to get your C30's power tubes cooking. That's what the volume knob on your distortion channel is for.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Thanks alot, I pretty much figured that's what it was, lol. I have a feeling i'll probably build one on my own (oh boy, $5 at radioshack and a soldering iron goes a long way XD) and save some cash now that i've confirmed this. I really appreciate the help :P

And sorry about the link, I didn't mean for it to be misconstrewn as spam/anything dicey. >_>
Quote by Raijouta
It's not going to allow you to get your C30's power tubes cooking. That's what the volume knob on your distortion channel is for.

Yeah I had considered getting something like a THD hotplate and wiring it into the speaker for the actual purpose of doing that, but alas, i'm a poor starving musician and I need a cheap temp fix for bedroom blasting while I work on getting one of those, lol.
Quote by Kuromeshi
Yeah I had considered getting something like a THD hotplate and wiring it into the speaker for the actual purpose of doing that, but alas, i'm a poor starving musician and I need a cheap temp fix for bedroom blasting while I work on getting one of those, lol.

There's a reason why, though.

Running it into the effects loop will just put it after your preamp but before your power amp so ultimately you don't even affect the power amp itself, just the pre.

If you really want to cook your power tubes with the least amount of volume while retaining optimal tone, you're going to have to get a reamp rig of some sort, which would involve a Weber attenuator and a separate power amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Yeah, I really dig my C30. It came upgraded with JJ tubes and the guard and it just blew me away when I heard how much gain was on tap, even at lower volume levels. As far as playing out and with a drummer, it's not very often I get to since the two main ones that I knew moved away in the last year and it's VERY hard to find people to do prog rock/metal when I live in a town pretty much inhabited soley by folk music. I did get a chance though to rock out with my Peavey with a drummer at a little open mic night downtown from where I live. Needless to say, the fact that my amp could easily drown out the drummer at about oh.. maybe 6 makes me a very VERY giddy guitarist
first, ebay links are typically fine, as long as its not something you are selling or the like. when asking about something on ebay, thats a legit use.

second, the classic 30 does have a master volume knob on the gain channel. thats what the post gain knob is. a master volume knob does not go after the power amp tubes. the effects loop in the classic 30 is between the pre and power amps, so using that thing isnt going to help get your power tubes running hot.

the only thing that box is good for is being able to crank up the clean channel to get the preamp tubes working, and then turned down before the power amp to lower the volume. but you can do that anyway with the second channel.

in other words, i personally consider it a waste of money and wouldnt recomend bothering with it.
Quote by jof1029
the only thing that box is good for is being able to crank up the clean channel to get the preamp tubes working, and then turned down before the power amp to lower the volume. but you can do that anyway with the second channel

Well see, that's what I want to do. I really like the overdrive you can get on the clean channel with the volume on the clean channel driven high. And yeah, I figured it was probably a really over-inflated volume box, which is why i've decided to build a cheap one as previously mentioned. :P
Quote by Kuromeshi
Well see, that's what I want to do. I really like the overdrive you can get on the clean channel with the volume on the clean channel driven high. And yeah, I figured it was probably a really over-inflated volume box, which is why i've decided to build a cheap one as previously mentioned. :P

Which is more a result of power tube distortion than the half of V1 being overworked.. Which you cant get at low volumes.