Hello Pit, I am trying to figure out a good term project for my high school physics class. I would prefer to do something with sound but just need advice on what I should do. Any suggestions as to what I could do for a project?
What are some of the requirements/guidelines? I would suggest a spud gun/backyard cannon, if that's allowed.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Make a black hole.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
invent a machine which works via perpetual motion. Or build a catapult or some shit, i dunno.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
sound cancellation.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by Mathrez
A catapult actually sounds like a good idea.

i like being useful
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
Catapults are for history class.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
build a nuclear bomb using a rubber band, a can of coke, and an apple
i like broccoli and long drives at the beach on my segway
dude build a rubens tube
"I can see that we speak the wrong notes."

Warlock NJ Deluxe (haters gonna hate)
Crate EL-10G
Quote by Momentosis
Catapults are for history class.

True, but there's a hell of a lot of physics involved, particularly when you look into all the different designs of catapult and trebuchet that use different methods of propelling projectiles such as 'torsion' and 'counterweight' methods.
For sound, you can go on about resonance and how it works (think of opera singers breaking glasses) you can do that with a PC and some speakers, and talk about fundamental frequencies of certain glasses (real glass, cheap glass, crystal) and then shatter them using the tone from the PC. It's what I would do if it had to be sound, I did a report on the life cycle of stars.
try using sound to induce a change in viscosity in a non-newtonian fluid ( use sound,not the kinetic force of the speaker a la the big bang theory)
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
You do projects in your high school physics class? I feel bad for you.

Do you have to be able to explain your project using concepts and/or math? If so, there's no way in hell you're going to be able to pull off anything related to sound at a high school level. Maybe something involving the Doppler effect or wave superposition if you're lucky
I would do non-Newtonian fluids but that has been taken by another group. We don't need to use a math equation to explain completely how it works. We are expected to be able to do a full lab report and essay and a presentation if we are doing an actual project if we decide to not do a huge essay on our topic.
Build an apple and drop it on the teachers head. The proceed to claim to have discovered gravity.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
Build an apple and drop it on the teachers head. The proceed to claim to have discovered gravity.

doesnt have to hit him on the head.all newton said about was that he was occasioned by the fall of an apple.never said anything about it hitting him
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Eggmond
doesnt have to hit him on the head.all newton said about was that he was occasioned by the fall of an apple.never said anything about it hitting him

I love you.
Quote by Eggmond

I was aware, I just think it'd be more fun if you dropped it on the teachers head. I guess if you want to be lazy then fine.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Does this website explain sound cancellation fairly well?
http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/noise_cancellation.htm

If not could someone get me a link to a good site explaining it and is there a way i could use an audio program to do sound cancellation?

Oh, and my mom suggested me "Absorption of Radiant Energy by Different Colors"
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/Phys_p073.shtml?fave=no&isb=cmlkOjcyMTM2Mjksc2lkOjAscDo1LGlhOlBoeXM&from=TSW

I am not sure if there would be enough stuff to do for my project with that though because this project is what i need to do to get my credit for this class.
Last edited by Mathrez at Sep 20, 2010,