hey guys recently i've been playing and doing a little recording here and there. and i realised that my tone suck. when i say suck, it means that it sounded ''skinny'' like it's been overdosed with treble. i'm using a blackstar ht-5 and a LP epiphone with emgs 81/85. i'm looking for sort of a tone with more ''body'' if you know what i mean,a thicker in pitch.. so anyone has some suggestions on what i should do? if you guys wanna know, my dream tone would a cross between gary moore(the solos he did in live in dublin) and zakk wylde.
Steve Vai rocks. His pinky is almost of the same length of an average 16 year old's middle finger.

I love Schecter
Do you use any pedals? I get a sweet tone from my HT-5 with my bad monkey giving it a clean boost. And an EQ really helps.
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
Quote by ChokingOnBile
First of all i suppose the HT-5 is a 5 watt tube amp right?

Yeah, some SS parts in it though I believe, but it does have a tube in both the preamp and power amp sections.
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
Ok so as sad as this may sound to you, you won't get much body from a 5watt amp. So it's the amp at first. Secondly learn to get the body, there are some main things you need to know. First mids are you're best friend for ever, BUT if you add more mids, add more gain too, because mids cut off some of the gain. Secondly volume, more volume, more power. Also a room, warm sounding room better sounding guitar at high volumes. And another thing which involves recording. If you want a really crushing guitar tone, record 4 guitar tracks. Record two (on both sides, like you would normally do) and then two more (play the same as you did earlier) but with different tone. For e.g. : if you want a more mid-scooped guitar tone, the first pair of tracks can be more scooped, but the second pair has to be full of mids and vica versa.
@Chokingonbile: oh cool thanks man and uhm what does ''scooped'' means? i've heard it probably a million times but i don't really understand. and what do you mean by recording 2 tracks on both sides?
Steve Vai rocks. His pinky is almost of the same length of an average 16 year old's middle finger.

I love Schecter
Quote by richyt93
Do you use any pedals? I get a sweet tone from my HT-5 with my bad monkey giving it a clean boost. And an EQ really helps.

oh pedals? i've got a zakk wylde wah only man and those blackstar pedals,are they worth it? doesn't mean i use a blackstar amp means i gotta get their pedals yeah? cos i haven't seen anyone using a marshall with blackstar pedals. i can get like mxr pedals instead right?

I love Schecter
How loud are you running your amp?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
compression, and if when recording you copy the original guitar track then add compression to the 2nd guitar track it will fatten up you tone loads.
There are many things you can do to your guitar to improve tone drastically. First, lower your pickups. You can start with like 3 mm or so between the top of the pickup and the bottom of the string when your string is being depressed at the last (highest) fret.

Secondly, you can raise your string height. You will be amazed at the difference in tone this can make. So many people seem to think that strings laying on the frets and as low as they can go is the best option, and it may be for some people who need it for their style of music, but raising your action can improve your tone greatly. My guitars at a little under 6/64" at the 12th fret on low E and around 4/64" 12th fret high e.

You can also try turning your tone knob on your guitar down. This will also make a big difference.

Another important aspect of tone is the string gauge. I went up to 11's and really like the tone with this gauge. It's much fuller sounding. What thickness of pick do you use? A pick can make a pretty big difference in tone as well. It's kind of like, the thicker the pick, the less trebly your sound will be. So if you are using a really thin pick, try going up.

Give these things a try and I think you'll be surprised at what you find. Good luck man!
Godin Summit CT - Natural
Vox VT 50 amplifier
Vox V847 Wah pedal
Scooped mids means turning the mid frequencies way down.
You know what panning means? So you record one guitar track, then record a second guitar track (play the same with adding some harmonies or different rythm ideas) then you pan one track to one side, and the other to other side.
You can use whatever pedal you want in the world. But i suggest you buying a better amp and boosting it with an overdrive pedal.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Do you mean your live tone sucks?(Which it shouldn't, that's a simi decent set up) or do you mean your recording tone sucks?

If you want some good recording advice I would ask around in the RR form.

it's my recording tone. i'm really a noob at recording man. haha

I love Schecter
Quote by ChokingOnBile
Scooped mids means turning the mid frequencies way down.
You know what panning means? So you record one guitar track, then record a second guitar track (play the same with adding some harmonies or different rythm ideas) then you pan one track to one side, and the other to other side.
You can use whatever pedal you want in the world. But i suggest you buying a better amp and boosting it with an overdrive pedal.

hmm i can't really go for other amps cos this blackstar i have is 5 watts and i'm using it in my room. i was kinda thinking of getting a marshall jdm head and maybe one cabinet but i don't really have the space in my room to fit that in. hey sorry man but what's panning? there's a program i gotta use for making the tracks on both side right? sort of a program to merge the two tracks together yeah?

I love Schecter
Quote by TheWaydown
There are many things you can do to your guitar to improve tone drastically. First, lower your pickups. You can start with like 3 mm or so between the top of the pickup and the bottom of the string when your string is being depressed at the last (highest) fret.

Secondly, you can raise your string height. You will be amazed at the difference in tone this can make. So many people seem to think that strings laying on the frets and as low as they can go is the best option, and it may be for some people who need it for their style of music, but raising your action can improve your tone greatly. My guitars at a little under 6/64" at the 12th fret on low E and around 4/64" 12th fret high e.

You can also try turning your tone knob on your guitar down. This will also make a big difference.

Another important aspect of tone is the string gauge. I went up to 11's and really like the tone with this gauge. It's much fuller sounding. What thickness of pick do you use? A pick can make a pretty big difference in tone as well. It's kind of like, the thicker the pick, the less trebly your sound will be. So if you are using a really thin pick, try going up.

Give these things a try and I think you'll be surprised at what you find. Good luck man!

haha thanks alot man. i've switched my string gauge to 10-60s. and thickness of the pick,i've got a 1.00 mm pick. the stuff above sounds like something i should try but heheh i don't really wanna customise my guitar. haha i've swapped for emgs and changed the string gauge.i can't really afford to try them now. i'll definitely give them a go when i've got the time and cash. hahaha thanks anyway dude

I love Schecter
oh and one more thing i forgot to add. is it just me or am i hearing more crackling in my amp when i turn my wah pedal on? when my wah pedal was off, i swear there was not a sound or crackling from my amp. but when i turn the pedal on, the tone becomes sharper like the pedal overdosed the amp on treble and there's a lot of crackling. it's not really feedback i was hearing cos i had my strings muted but the minute i let go off my guitar.there was feedback. maybe it's time for a noise gate?

I love Schecter
Last edited by gisobon at Sep 20, 2010,
Most Wah pedals give off a static-like sound because of the little amp circuit in them. Quite normal.
Lets look at your recording setup. EMG's are pretty thin sounding when not blasted. You might get some Zakk sounds but not a hope of anything resembling Gary Moore.
You didn't mention your recording signal path. If you are taking a DI out of your amp, you are losing the dynamics of the speaker. Record via a mic placed between the speaker's centre and edge to get the fullest sound.
The advice on pickup-string gap is usually good but actives need less gap than passives 'cos their magnets are weak and don't pull the strings out of tune so much.
Last but not least is what you are using to record your tracks. Even something as basic as Audacity can let you add some subtle effects and get a fatter EQ if you look into it fully. These are added after the recording and can be taken off again if you don't like the result.
And don't forget what you are listening to the result with. Cheap 'phones or little PC speakers will certainly shade the outcome, so allow for that as well.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by gisobon
haha thanks alot man. i've switched my string gauge to 10-60s. and thickness of the pick,i've got a 1.00 mm pick. the stuff above sounds like something i should try but heheh i don't really wanna customise my guitar. haha i've swapped for emgs and changed the string gauge.i can't really afford to try them now. i'll definitely give them a go when i've got the time and cash. hahaha thanks anyway dude

lol no problem, but none of the stuff I listed are things you need to customize or spend money on, aside from strings, though your .010's are probably fine. Changing the height of your pickups, or adjusting the tone/volume knob on your guitar, or raising the string height are all things you can do with a screwdriver or your bare hands lol. I wasn't suggesting you buy anything. I think you can get the tone you want by adjusting a few things yourself.
Godin Summit CT - Natural
Vox VT 50 amplifier
Vox V847 Wah pedal
Quote by TheWaydown
lol no problem, but none of the stuff I listed are things you need to customize or spend money on, aside from strings, though your .010's are probably fine. Changing the height of your pickups, or adjusting the tone/volume knob on your guitar, or raising the string height are all things you can do with a screwdriver or your bare hands lol. I wasn't suggesting you buy anything. I think you can get the tone you want by adjusting a few things yourself.

haha yeah. i'll probably need to get a technician cos i don't really have the time to do it aaand i won't probably know how to do it anyway

I love Schecter
and guys let's say,let's just say if i'm going for zakk wylde overdrive, does it mean that i can crank up the distortion on both the amp and the pedal and crank up my mids? cos right now, my gain is on max and my mids are at 12. do i push my mids any further without the pedal? or do i get a pedal and crank up the mids?

I love Schecter
The most important thing you need to be cranking is the volume if you want to get a tube amp sounding it's best.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i see. so hey is there anything i can do about the static coming our from the wah pedal? it's gonna get really noisy if i get a distortion pedal. am i supposed to get a noise gate or something like that?

I love Schecter