hey people. i have reached a philosophical impasse so i'm turning to all of you.
i am stuck between two guitars, a fender standard telecaster and a epihpone 1960 les paul tribute with the thin neck. if anyone has an opinion on these guitars or would like to offer an alternative than could you please help me out?
Well the best answer I can give is to try both of them (through a good amp) and pick the one you prefer. Don't think about image or shit like that. Just pick the one that feels and sounds better to you
they're incredibly different guitars. But both the gibson/epiphone family and fender guitars have deteriorated in quality over the years so really i'd advise getting something older and used if you're intent on those makes.
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Quote by Jyrgen
Well the best answer I can give is to try both of them (through a good amp) and pick the one you prefer. Don't think about image or shit like that. Just pick the one that feels and sounds better to you

This, but try them through the Amp you own if possible or one you plan on getting.
I have a '96 Standard Tele and it's great, it's really versatile and well built (In my opinion) and I love the neck on it. But I guess that's were preference comes in, haven't played the Epi.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Like jeowy said, they are both very different beasts. You can only know which you prefer by trying both. Also, the best thing you can do when you want a new guitar is to go to every shop around you and try every guitar that catches your eye. When you're going to make a serious investment, don't buy online, because chances are you won't get something you really love. That can only be achieved by actually playing it beforehand.

I wouldn't worry about years and how old guitars and stuff are. Sure there are statistics and some years are better than others for certain brands, but really, you should be looking for the guitar that feels the best to you, and not what is "supposedly" the best. Only you can know.

I also wouldn't be too worried about the sound of the guitar. Your amp makes your sound, not your guitar. And guitars can be altered in a thousand different ways. Sound should be at the bottom of your priority list - feel at the top.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by obeythepenguin

Wrong. Many factors affect sound. If you're picky about getting a certain tone, the first thing you should always consider is the wood -- not because it's the most important, but because it's the one thing you can't change later. That's why a Tele won't sound like an LP won't sound like a hollowbody, even with identical strings, pickup configuration, etc.

I disagree. I wouldn't even bother looking at what kind of wood it has - each guitar needs to be played individually. I've found that even identical models sound different. No 2 pieces of wood truly sound the same, and at worst they can sound vastly different. I've had a few Agathis guitars for instance, and none of them sounded anything like each other. By expecting wood to sound the same, or even actually be what the company says it is is too much setting yourself up to fail.

Also, a way I like to put it is that different guitars won't really give you different tones - different guitars give you different takes on the same tone. Regardless of whether you run a hollow body, a tele or a superstrat through a Rectifier - they're all going to sound heavy as shit. But they'll have different characteristics of heavy. If you run the same guitars through a Fender Deluxe, they're all going to sound sparkly and clean, but again they'll all have different characteristics. No one guitar can alter your tone. Different guitars just represent your tone differently.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Amp? Current guitar? Why you want a new one? Budget? Locale? Specific artists you like the sound of?

The Tele's going to be the better-built of the two and the better value, as well as holding resale value better, but until we know more we can't do a whole lot. We all have opinions, but they're pretty useless when we're just throwing them out there.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by obeythepenguin
My point exactly. You say the wood isn't important, but then explain exactly why it is.

I never said anything about expecting two guitars with the same woods to sound the same.

The "different characteristics" are called the guitar's tone. "[H]eavy as shit" and "sparkly and clean" are the amp's tone. What you call "your tone" is made up of both.

I can run my Strat through my old Crate, and it sounds clear and very thin. Then I run my Gretsch through -- same EQ, same riff, same attack -- and it sounds fat as hell, frequencies flying everywhere. If I don't EQ it right it starts to block out my bass.

It's a dramatic difference, especially when you're playing with another musician. There's songs I literally can't play on my Gretsch, because it doesn't cut through cleanly under my brother's guitar. Likewise, I don't play the Strat much when it's just me by myself, because it doesn't sound "big" enough to get the tone I want.

Put more concisely, if the guitar itself didn't matter, why do you suppose experienced players often own many different models, with often drastically different playability?

Perhaps you're right. I'm just saying what I've gathered from my few years of playing. I'll have to play with a lot more gear than I have thus far, then reevaluate my views and see if they're still the same. As of now I still stand by what I said, because that's what I've observed. Though perhaps I worded it badly. I don't know.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

I also wouldn't be too worried about the sound of the guitar. Your amp makes your sound, not your guitar.

Saying the guitar doesn't affect the tone is bullcrap. It has a huge effect, even changing the strings will change the tone. I can run my custom Suhr through cheap amps and still get a very good tone because of the guitar.
hey people
thanx for all the advice.
i listen to like jeff beck, eric clapton, roy buchanan, buddy guy. lot's of blues blues rock. but i also like some metallica n i have performed on my acoustic guitar or my mandolin both folk classics and lady gaga.

but today i decided on the les paul. the coil tap ability to change the sounds of the humbuckers and just the greater fullness of sound won out over the telecaster.

if anyone has ny questions about it or if they just want to continue this thread then just keep posting.
thanks again.