Hello,

I had a question; Is it possible to instal a floyd tremolo bridge on my ibanez(GRG170DX)? And if it is possilbe i understand that my body has to be eddited. but what if i only want to do like diveboms with it so the tone won't go up. then it is not nessecairy right?

Or can i just get some saddles for my bridge now that lock the strings so they don't have to slide over the sadles(because that is what makes it out of tune at my guitar)
i have the same gutiar, and tbh yes its possible, technically anythings possible. but you're gonna need to re-route the bridge to accom a FR/edge trem also a locking nut is probably needed. and possibly changes to the truss rod but don't quote me on that. it'll probably be too much hassle and if it goes wrong it goes wrong in a major way. i'd just save up and get an RG350DX or something similar.

EDIT: if you only want to do divebombs, keep the standard trem. it works... i mean if your guitar drops out of tune massively change strings, i use super slinkys and when i ''divebomb'' it doesn't go out of tune for me... maybe if you get a locking nut and use that with the standard bridge then it won't de-tune as much...
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Last edited by Dempsey68 at Sep 19, 2010,
If you're having tuning stability issues, solve them in this order.

1. String your guitar correctly. This usually solves all issues in itself. There is a guide on how to do it in one of the sticky threads.
2. Get a new nut. If stringing isn't enough, this very well should be. Take your guitar to a tech/luthier and have them cut a nut to meet your needs with the size strings you want to use.
3. The very last resort, the one people think they need and almost always don't need, is the installation of locking tuners. These can get kind of costly compared to the first 2. A set of locking tuners could easily run you over $50, which is another reason why it should be a last resort.

If none of those work, then either you're doing something wrong, or you should use your guitar for firewood.

Also, just to touch on the FR isssue. As a rule of thumb, you should never install a trem on a guitar that wasn't routed for it. I can guarantee you that it will end up costing more than the guitar itself brand new. You are much better off buying another guitar that has a trem on it already.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Oke thanks allot guys!,

But I don't really understand how it is the nut. For example I can tune the guitar so that it wil stay in tune when I use the tremolo(even diveboms). But when I then use a bend so the tention gets higher on a string it ofcourse gets out of tune. So if it is the nut, Pressing on the strings behind the nut will get it back in to tune right? But it won't! Only if I make another divebom it goes back in tune. Or is this exactly the fault of the nut?

And what is so different about Slinkys? and i once asked a guitar shop what is would coust to make me a good nut, they said like 50 -80 euro, is this right? and what about those sprays you can put on the nut for no friction? Will this work? Also the saddle's got screw in the back of them, will they do any different when changing?

Please give me as much advice and tips as you can because I LOVE the tremolo function

PS: if you advice things for me to buy please insert a link because half of the time i can't find it... xD

EDIT:
what is that thing on my guitar behind the bridge, normaly there's a hole there that goes trough the neck but i've got some kinda plastic cover that i can turn down so the hole is visible? does this have a purpose :P?
Last edited by farayman3 at Sep 19, 2010,
How about i install a fender roller nut? that will help alot right? i probably can do it myself and if i ship it from the USA it is about 20 euro

Any experience with this guys?
Just get a regular nut. Graphtech is really good.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Doesn't the G designate it as a Gio, one of their low-line guitars? I wouldn't drop hardware in there that costs as much as the guitar did.

If it's a non-locking trem, get a nice nut, maybe a roller, and locking tuners. If you're feeling fancy get a Tremsetter.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Dude, that's like a $250 guitar. And a roller nut isn't going to drop right in even if it is the right width for the neck.

Before you buy anything rub a pencil in the nut slots. It will help with tuning stability. Lots.

I already did(that pencil trick but i think the strings are just too thick), i'm buying super slinkys today and see how that works out. if it still gets stuk at that nut i really thing i'm installing a roller nut :P they are just awsome. and btw it may be one of theire low line guitar's but it sounds GREAT! and also the fretboard feels very good to me so i won't mind installing a 40 euro nut on it if it makes the tremolo system good too!
I've put the Super Slinkys(ernie Ball) on the guitar and the height e and B don't detune AT ALL but the E, A, D and G string still detune massively.. I've put a lot of graphite on it and even widened the nut slots a little but with no effect. So I'm going to conceder a Roller nut..
Make sure the strings fit in the roller nut slots before you install it bro..
Yea i will, i will take a lot of time to install it so no hasty things. measuring everything every time, this way there can't go that much wrong right:P?
Dammit! i just found out that the fender rollernut advicec 9-10" neck but my ibanez got 15.75".... this won't work at all then right?

If i just buy a good whamybar graphite nut, do i always have to make them myself or are there standards i can buy?
DAMM! I've installed the roller nut and quite beautyfull if i say so myself but it is not working at all! it detunes just as much what am i doing wrong, i've put the strings on right, now got a rollernut wtf...
I told you, just get a regular GraphTech nut, and string your guitar correctly according to the Setup Guide sticky.

What exactly are you doing with your tremolo? It might be better for you to just get a Floyd Rose guitar.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
no dammit i'm not buying a new guitar i've got this guitar 1 week now and i really like it!(also i'm 18 and haven't got a big bag of gold) the only thing that sucks is that it detunes from the tremolo.

I just want it not to detune as much as it does now, if i tune the e string and make a divebomb it is between the e and f so that sounds horrible..

I'm just going to try to return that damm thing and indeed try to get a good graphtech nut. are they already made for strings or do i have to make them myself?
Last edited by farayman3 at Sep 24, 2010,
Quote by farayman3
no dammit i'm not buying a new guitar i've got this guitar 1 week now and i really like it!(also i'm 18 and haven't got a big bag of gold) the only thing that sucks is that it detunes from the tremolo.

I just want it not to detune as much as it does now, if i tune the e string and make a divebomb it is between the e and f so that sounds horrible..

I'm just going to try to return that damm thing and indeed try to get a good graphtech nut. are they already made for strings or do i have to make them myself?

Either way. You can buy blanks or preslotted. If you get blanks, you should have a tech/luthier cut them for what ever string size you want to use.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Either way. You can buy blanks or preslotted. If you get blanks, you should have a tech/luthier cut them for what ever string size you want to use.

I'd go the latter route. Perfectly fitting > general.

Just make sure you know which gauge you'll want to stick with.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?