Sup fellas (and female fellas). Long time no post. My last post was last may, before that, god knows!

So I'm making a JEM! I'm rubbish at lead playing but sometimes you just have to really indulge your fantasies (legal, guitar related ones at least ). This thing along with my bands DIY release is gonna suck my dry financially but...this shit is so much fun! I haven't 'built' a guitar for about 5 years when I built an RG (cut the body) which met an ill fate with a cement floor. Lets hope this baby turns out a little cleaner and lives a little longer.

* 2 Piece alder/curly maple/purple heart. (took the risk and bought through legacy/deep6 on ebay, pray it's hassle free.
*Schaller floyd
*Dimarzios, maybe a Tone Zone in the bridge, probably a no-namer in the neck due to budget constraints
*Wizard II neck off an 01 RG, custom decal on headstock when I figure it out.

I thought about staining the wood but I'm just gonna clear coat it I reckon, I'm thinking some rosewood pickup covers+rings too. Might look a little trippy on a JEM body but I'm gonna try it, it ties in with the 'wood' theme. Wood/black hardware, I think it'll be the sex!

I'm buying a schaller floyd through evilbay, not sure what nut type I should be going for (R1 or R2 were my choices, not sure what's best for Wizard II...any suggestions?)

Below is a pick of the body hotlinked from the sellers page. I will do proper pics and progress pics etc once I've got it (provided once again, transaction/delivery is hassle free).

I've read very mixed reviews on legacy/deep 6 but, this body was too pretty for me to not buy, haha. Lets hope its all sweet!
I cross my fingers for you. That looks ace.

Unrelated to your build probably, but I like the philips head screw inlays. I'm gonna do that some time.
If you like them too then you could just drill out the existing dots (if that's indeed what it has) from your neck, cut the heads off some screws and drop them in there instead with a little globule of clearcoat to make them flush with the fretboard.

I'm giving myself ideas now.
Yeah, I don't think screw inlays are sleek or rustic... Rather crude and industrial, I'd say... I'll definitely be wanting to design the rest of my idea around an industrial aesthetic.
The phillips head screw inlays is pretty cool. I didn't notice it a first. Never seen that before.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
awesome. there are tons of good "Ebay jems" out there. makes me want to make one. only reason why i probably wont is i don't want to pay top dollar for a good ibanez neck.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Some good news is the tracking number says the body has been posted and has left the US. Hope shes in good nick when it arrives.

Haven't really posted anything since I'm waiting on all the parts still. Once the body is here I'll sand it out a bit more then lose sleep deciding what to do with it...oil? seal? some kind of translucent lacquer? who knows.
a little tip: if the body has any small dents or anything, heat up a soldering iron (my 40 watt setting does well for me) and take a wet paper towel, fold it over on itself and place it over the dent. then stick the tip of the soldering iron on top of where the dent is.

the steam will pop it up just like magic! it's pretty crazy the first time you see a nasty dent get pulled up like that.

it wont work if there is a finish on it though.

best of luck!
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
conor: or you can use a normal clothes iron

also, screw inlays are cool. that wood looks lovely too if its anything like that
Got my legacy body yesterday and apart from the neck pocket being a few mm too narrow, it looks ok. needs finish sanding (as described in the listing).

Had to sand out the neck pocket a few mm each side to fit in the neck, and dowel up the holes in my neck for repositioning as the holes aint perfect, but nothing too crazy.

First coat of tung oil...

Last edited by neocon58 at Oct 5, 2010,
Damn, that's looking pretty good!

I think it's going to look pretty stunning once it's all done up. Can't wait!
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
thanks dudes. the trem post holes are about 1mm too big in diamater for my trem posts, eff!

anybody got any tips? im thinking of just using mad epoxy or super glue to hold them in
Glue dowels into the slots, sand flat, redrill the post holes?
Amps

Guitar

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
that is damn sexy

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
thanks man!

after 3 absolute latherings of tung, 4th or so with steel wool...

really digging the rich amber, its exactly what I wanted.

already gave it another slather after this, i reckon i'll leave it overnight (started yesterday arvo) and look at it tomorrow, probably just wipe it really good and let it dry and see what i think after its had some good time to really dry out.

got pretty much everything now so just gotta assemble as much as i can then get a tech to wire and set up (absolutely CBF researching wiring etc)...but i'll install the rest
Tuners/locking nut in, trem studs are in but waiting for the glue to cure/praying it works for a few days before I attempt to install the floyd.

Last edited by neocon58 at Oct 8, 2010,
Lookin' sweet!

Somehow I feel my skills increase just by looking at the guitar.

...then I go to play and find I haven't. Must be those "racing stripes".
Amps

Guitar

Effects and Etc.
Quote by james4
looks pretty nice
but as an active member of GB&C, Ive gotta say "boooooo" for taking it to a tech

can't wait to see it together, anyway

haha yeah i know, i kept screwing things up as i was installing so decided for the sake of me having a playable guitar i would stop at finishing the body and putting the neck on haha
That purpleheart is going to turn brown over time. Just sayin.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by salsawords
That purpleheart is going to turn brown over time. Just sayin.

not really fussed if it does man. itd probably suit the rosewood pickup rings better
Quote by salgala2000
Omfg I Came!

I read the exclamation point as a lowercase "L" and was like

But this guitar looks great, it came out really nice.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
oh my god...

its wonderful

great job. not to ask a personal question, but how much do you think you paid? just wondering
I love those rosewood pickup rings! The guitar is gorgeous, and I bet it sounds as good as it looks!
Quote by griffRG7321
Listen to this guy ^

Quote by Mad Marius
Nu-metal:

- tumble dryer
- cat
- pitch shifter
Quote by AJSaw
oh my god...

its wonderful

great job. not to ask a personal question, but how much do you think you paid? just wondering

sounds rad dudes! the string radius isn't perfect but hes going to suss it out next time free of charge, but other than that im loving it.

well from ebay parts to finished guitar, probably about 900. absolute guestimation though. couldn't really say for sure. less than a grand im certain
Quote by salgala2000
I typed it in all caps but UG changed it for me?!

Posts in all-caps are automatically wordfiltered.

On topic, awesome guitar! Looks great
That........Is..........Freaking..........Awesome.

I so want one. Great work by the way turned out well.