well i am not going to be touring world wide but i just wanted to ask a question. when musicians tour around the world or just to different countries with different electricity voltages how do they run their gear i mean buying a transformer for everything cant be to viable. does their gear have the ability to switch voltages like a switch or knob behind the amp or mixers and such.

thanks in advance
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
You can get universal power boards, that are essentially an 8 or so way adapter that has a few switchable transformers built into the circuit. They're fkin expensive though, and you cant run amps and mics/mixers from the same board.
Quote by Dan_5893
You can get universal power boards, that are essentially an 8 or so way adapter that has a few switchable transformers built into the circuit. They're fkin expensive though, and you cant run amps and mics/mixers from the same board.

hmm nice well you pay to play i guess
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Furman used to make a 2 rack unit that took anything from about 90-140 or 200-260 in and spit out 120. It came with a set of adapter cables that would cover pretty much anywhere. It wasn't enough to run big PAs, but for a guitar rig it was perfect. I don't think they make it any more.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Last edited by Even Bigger D at Sep 19, 2010,

there are basicly 2 main voltgate/frequency combinations you need and you can play most of europe and the US/Canada. which means all you need is a single unit as a voltage/frequency converter, and then some adapter plugs to fit the right wall socket. if you were going somewhere else you would have to be prepared and buy the right converter.
alternatively just bring mcgyver with you. give him a matchstick, a half-chewed piece of chewing gum and a piece of string, i'm sure he could whip something up for you.

seriously, though, probably +1 on what jof or evenbiggerd are saying.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Do venues that handle international acts not actually have this stuff on hand?
Quote by jpnyc
Do venues that handle international acts not actually have this stuff on hand?

At the high end, yes, they do. If U2 or someone is coming to town, they'll have a contract with the venue that clearly specifies what is required in terms of power. But there are lots of smaller international acts that play smaller venues - a couple thousand seats or whatever. Those gigs are usually booked and promoted by locals, and it may never cross their mind that a band from Europe has amps wired for 240. So it's best to be prepared.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
I've heard that a lot of the time, bands rent amps overseas.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.