Hi, i've been using cubase 5 for a while and it covers all my needs in terms of tracking and editing guitar bass drums and vocals. Yet when it comes to getting the final mix it seems to be pretty poor since the channel mixer goes up in odd intervals so things are never exactly the right volume i want.
Now i was wondering if there was specific software that would be massively better for mixing. I understand logic pro or pro tools would be better but i don't think i have the money to afford the upgrade. I could possibly afford Cakewalks Sonar if it's massively better but would prefer some seperate software if possible

I have a Dell precision m65 laptop with a 2.16 ghz intel centrino duo processor and 4GB of RAM if thats any help
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Marshall JCM 800 1960 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

www.myspace.com/oceansatealaska
It's been a while since I spent any serious time in Cubase but I've never felt that it is any worse for mixing than other software (and I've heard outstanding mixes made with Cubase). Not quite sure what you mean when you say that "the channel mixer goes up in odd intervals"...?
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
there's not one that would be massively better. i personally prefer ProTools, but that's just because that's what i'm used to and i'm faster at it. as far as mixing goes, Cubase can probably do everything PT can. it really comes down to the skill of the person... just keep practicing with that and you'll get it. no point wasting money.

i'd take PT over Logic too, but that's just personal preference.

and i'm also not sure what you mean by the channel mixer intervals thing. perhaps you just have an odd preference selected...
You could try Reaper if you're not too happy with Cubase anymore, although I think most DAW's are fairly interchangeable these days really, but I'd strongly advise you to avoid Pro Tools until/unless you have the money to get a full HD system. Pro Tools LE (the version anyone without a few thousand £'s can get) is a seriously flawed piece of software compared to all the other DAW's out there. No plug-in latency compensation and highly limited track count suck, not to mention the need for an Avid-authorised interface which is highly overpriced for its featureset, are all good reasons to stick with what you have.

Also, I use Logic myself, but unless you already have a relatively new Mac/Macbook (which cost quite a lot, thanks to Mr. Jobs evil exploits against the world) it's not worth the investment before trying out all the cheaper software available that can still produce pro-quality mixes.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
thanks for the advice, it's kind of what i expected
but yerh cubase's individual channel level goes from like 0.076dB to 1.19 but their all irregular think i'll just get some better monitors and spend some more time practicing
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Marshall JCM 800 1960 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

www.myspace.com/oceansatealaska
if you hold shift down whilst moving the fader it goes in smaller and slower increments and holding control and clickong on the fader resets it to unity, all DAW's are basically the same you just need to find the one for yo and since you're used to cubase i'd personally stick to it and maybe read the manual and learn the shortcuts
Yeah, there is NO way that your problem is Cubase. NO way.

Especially when you've spent the better part of a grand on C5. (no good cracks for that one yet, AFAIK)

I've been using Cubase for over ten years now and have never been able to blame a poor recording or a poor mix on my software. Never.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I've been using Cubase 4 for the better part of 2 years, and have had to learn Pro-Tools, Logic and Ableton at uni the last year. They all have similarities and all have flaws. Find what you like and have a good workflow with.

I personally do not enjoy using Pro-Tools, I like Logics automation ease, I love Abletons midi functions and I like recording/programming and editing in Cubase...

You do know you can type any value into your faders? So I don't get your "odd interval" thing.
Faders on a mixing desk are logarhythmic, not linear. I think that is what you are referring to by 'odd intervals'. The cubase mixing window emulates a real desk, so obviously it uses the logarhythmic scale, i doubt you'll able to find a piece of software with linear faders.

End of the line is... get used to it.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
^ Just so you know, it's spelled 'logarithm', nothing to do with rhythm
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.