For enrichment at my school (it's basically a period which lasts all Wednesday afternoon which you can do extra curricular stuff in) I've decided to do an EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) which is where you can do a project about anything, have an end result with a report to accompany it and you get an AS level out of it. For mine, I've decided to make an iPhone app, as I've had a fair amount of programming experience and I've never really put it to use by doing something actually worthwhile.

One of my ideas it to make an app for musicians, not specifically guitarists but something which handles the music theory side more than the actual guitar side. I've had some ideas, I was thinking maybe having scales and modes, with intervals etc. Also, having chords, showing the diatonic chords in a key, chord construction from specific scales. I was also thinking about an interval trainer, but I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas they would like in the app? One of the points of my EPQ is I need to do research, and I thought a great place to research ideas for an app for musicians is to ask musicians themselves. Keep in mind, if I decide to get an Apple Developer account for £60, I will put the end result on the app store for free, as long as Apple approve it (so you might actually be able to use some of the ideas you suggest).

Thanks for your help.

Also, I thought this would be an appropriate place to post this as I wanted to ask musicians. If it needs to be moved, sorry and feel free to move it to the correct section
Since you're discussing chords and how they apply to a certain key, maybe have a circle of 5th/4ths? How big is this app supposed to be? It sounds like there is going to be a lot of information on it. How are you going to organize the different sections?
Having something that shows what notes make up that make up a chord would be great.

Major 1 3 5
Minor 1 b3 5
Dominant Seventh 1 3 5 b7
etc...
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Hyjek
Since you're discussing chords and how they apply to a certain key, maybe have a circle of 5th/4ths? How big is this app supposed to be? It sounds like there is going to be a lot of information on it. How are you going to organize the different sections?

I was actually thinking of sticking in a circle of fifths. In terms of naviagation, im thinking of using a tab bar (like on the clock app) and then tables if you need to get to more detailed content. I've got a few ideas, just need to find a way to show them.

Quote by rockingamer2
Having something that shows what notes make up that make up a chord would be great.

Major 1 3 5
Minor 1 b3 5
Dominant Seventh 1 3 5 b7
etc...

This would definitely something I'll stick in, oddly I'm not sure if there is actually an app for this on the store
how about something like maybe a midi of how things sound, such as a scale or chord sound. Such as arpeggiating a 1 b3 5 b7, then playing the actual full chord when they select the Minor7 chord. Something VERY useful in my opinion could be a 'concert pitch' finder. Say someone has a Bb Trumpet and wants to know what scale to play in concert pitch, theyd select the key their music is in, the key of the instrument, and it'll produce the scale/notes they'll need to play? i can't tell you how many people would come up to me in band when they didn't have a C instrument asking what scale they should play if they wanted to play a concert Eb major xD
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by Zinnie
how about something like maybe a midi of how things sound, such as a scale or chord sound. Such as arpeggiating a 1 b3 5 b7, then playing the actual full chord when they select the Minor7 chord. Something VERY useful in my opinion could be a 'concert pitch' finder. Say someone has a Bb Trumpet and wants to know what scale to play in concert pitch, theyd select the key their music is in, the key of the instrument, and it'll produce the scale/notes they'll need to play? i can't tell you how many people would come up to me in band when they didn't have a C instrument asking what scale they should play if they wanted to play a concert Eb major xD

Hmm, interesting idea. I'll have to get some of you theory guys to help me out with some stuff, but I'm thinking this might actually have potential

I've been thinking about something, do you think it would be easier to have the user select the key in a tab and then the rest of the app reflects that? For instance, if you selected A# major in the key part of the app, if you go to the chords section it shows you all the diatonic chords in A# major, go to the scales section and it shows you the scale, along with all the intervals from A# major etc? Or should I think about doing it a different way?
Quote by Zinnie
how about something like maybe a midi of how things sound, such as a scale or chord sound. Such as arpeggiating a 1 b3 5 b7, then playing the actual full chord when they select the Minor7 chord.

Planet Waves has a couple of Apps called Chordmaster and Scale Wizard that does this.

http://www.planetwaves.com/PWiphoneapps.Page

You may not want to make an App that will compete too much with an existing App, be best to find something unique and make that the strength of your App in my opinion.