I just started saving up for a les paul junior, and thought about what to choose between the regular one and the billie joe signature one
(the billie joe sig isn't that much more expensive so I guess I'd go with whatever is better)

I know that P90s (which are in normal les paul juniors) are essentially single coil and are not hum-free. I always thought the pickup in billie joe model was humbucking (because that's what the man himself stated in the official video), but some people said that it is not...

I'd go to a store and check em out myself, but I won't be able to do that for a while due to some unfortunate circumstances...

so is the billie joe model humbucking or not??
Guitars:
* Custom "does-it-all" Strat
*'12 James Tyler Studio Elite HD Burning Water (HSH)
* EVH Wolfgang Special Stealth HT
From the official Gibson video, he says that the original is hum-free but not the Signature model.

I would buy this instead : http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Junior-Electric-Guitar?sku=580091

If you really want Les Paul Junior.
Fender American Standard Stratocaster/Seymour Duncan Hot Rails
Seagull Rustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
MXR GT-OD
MXR Distortion III
MJM London Fuzz
EHX Big Muff
Last edited by LittleRoom at Sep 19, 2010,
The signature is a stacked-coil humbucking pickup. No hum but you probably won't get the same "beefy" sound as a standard humbucker.

Personally I would just go with the standard, with signature models you are usually paying more just for royalties to the artist.
Quote by LittleRoom
From the official Gibson video, he says that the original is hum-free but not the Signature model.

I would buy this instead : http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Junior-Electric-Guitar?sku=580091

If you really want Les Paul Junior.

waaaaat? now i'm even more confused... so he's saying that his original vintage les paul junior is hum-free, but the signature model is not??

because i just checked the billie joe signature model on gibson website, and they say this:

"Gibson’s H-90 stacked double coil pickup is the result of a close collaboration with Billie Joe Armstrong. It offers the snarl and punch of a classic, vintage P-90, but with none of the 60-cycle hum that usually plagues traditional singlecoil pickups."

AND musicians friend description of billie joe model says:

"Double-coil humbucking H-90 bridge pickup"

so who's telling the truth? billie joe? gibson & musicians friend??

(btw, I'm not really even familiar with greenday... i just want a les paul junior with no hum if possible)

*EDIT: nvm... after I wrote this reply I read the other answer that it is hum-free.

*and the other guy who recommended me eclipse models, thanks for the recommendation, but I'm well aware of those models... PERSONALLY not really a fan of esp, eclipse, and active pickups I'm just looking for that les paul junior look and that mid-rangey classic sound
Guitars:
* Custom "does-it-all" Strat
*'12 James Tyler Studio Elite HD Burning Water (HSH)
* EVH Wolfgang Special Stealth HT
Last edited by thelax at Sep 19, 2010,
Look, I'm a pretty big Green Day fan and I wouldn't even buy the signature guitar. If you're REALLY having a noticeable problem with hum, buy a noise gate. You should have a power conditioner in the studio, and no one should notice it live.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?