Page 4 of 11
Quote by WizMystery
No because they're completely different.

So you don't like the sound, rather than the actual frequency of them being used.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by dead-fish
So you don't like the sound, rather than the actual frequency of them being used.

Half and half. If it's used once in a while it'll sound pleasant but if it's pounded into my head it sort of gets redundant. You know how when you say a word a couple of times and it loses its meaning? Sort of like that.
Wait, this has turned into an argument about powerchords?!? Whaat?....powerchords are the epitome of metal and harder edged rock. From Sabbath to Slayer metal just wouldn't be the same if bands boycotted the trusty powerchord. especially Darkthrone!
Quote by WizMystery
Half and half. If it's used once in a while it'll sound pleasant but if it's pounded into my head it sort of gets redundant. You know how when you say a word a couple of times and it loses its meaning? Sort of like that.

So if a band uses only 11th chords, much the same way some bands only use powerchords, they would become redundant as well.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
Quote by dead-fish
So if a band uses only 11th chords, much the same way some bands only use powerchords, they would become redundant as well.

No.

Let's say you used all major and minor chords. That's pretty much what music of the past consisted of in the west. That would not sound redundant to me.

The same thing goes with 9th, 11th, 13th... some words don't lose their meaning no matter how many times you say them.

The plain use of P4, P5, and a P8 (all perfect mind you, that may be the reason) just doesn't sound lively enough for me.
In this case, would you apply the same approach to single notes?
Quote by dead-fish
In this case, would you apply the same approach to single notes?

Sure, why not? Single notes could never sound redundant as the redundancy is caused by harmony to my ears.
Power chords are pretty much just extensions of single notes the way they are usually used in metal, aren't they?
Quote by WizMystery
Sure, why not? Single notes could never sound redundant as the redundancy is caused by harmony to my ears.

You're saying that because single notes are not immediately harmonious with any other notes, they can never be redundant?
Quote by dead-fish
You're saying that because single notes are not immediately harmonious with any other notes, they can never be redundant?

Yes.

Quote by NitsCo
Power chords are pretty much just extensions of single notes the way they are usually used in metal, aren't they?

Pretty much.
I love almost all types of metal and I like punk too.

Metal is more fun to play on guitar, but sometimes I'm in a mood to listen to nothing but punk.
cat
nah punk is more fun to play on guitar

especially crust
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
So a single note is never redundant, but if you add that note's perfect interval to it, it becomes redundant?
Quote by dead-fish
So a single note is never redundant, but if you add that note's perfect interval to it, it becomes redundant?

Yes. I actually like octaves as a substitute for power chords because they sound just as powerful and more pleasing.

WB ProgBass.

I'm sick and have nothing better to do today, enjoy.
not relevent to the current show of ignorance, but the metal forum here, in general, are a nice collection of lads. We have no problems enlightening others who seek metal in any of its forms. We are diverse enough to cater to any interest.

Except Deadfish. He is like the scheming Jew in town that plots everyone's death. And he does rather well, being a super villian and all.

that being said, I urge you to check out At the Gate's "Red in the Sky is Ours", which can be considered the most compositionally aware death metal record to date in terms of complexity of melody, songwriting, and harmony. It also showcases some punk influences, being an early death metal record an all.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by WizMystery
Yes. I actually like octaves as a substitute for power chords because they sound just as powerful and more pleasing.

Would you go as far as to say that substituting every powerchord for in a given musical with an octaved note would make that piece sound better?
Quote by progbass
not relevent to the current show of ignorance, but the metal forum here, in general, are a nice collection of lads. We have no problems enlightening others who seek metal in any of its forms. We are diverse enough to cater to any interest.

Except Deadfish. He is like the scheming Jew in town that plots everyone's death. And he does rather well, being a super villian and all.

that being said, I urge you to check out At the Gate's "Red in the Sky is Ours", which can be considered the most compositionally aware death metal record to date in terms of complexity of melody, songwriting, and harmony. It also showcases some punk influences, being an early death metal record an all.

Deadfish hasn't done anything to me yet other than play 20 Questions to figure out whether I'm consistant or not.

Some friend told me about At the Gates before, it wasn't really my thing at the time but I'm getting there (I'm strategically buying albums in a certain order of genre). I've barely touched swedish metal, I'm still buying Meshuggah's albums.

@Deadfish:

Yup.
Last edited by WizMystery at Sep 20, 2010,
Wiz, you strike me as someone who's real good at digging.
UG FORUM
Your 21st Century Ant Farm
Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003
Quote by Sewe Dae
Wiz, you strike me as someone who's real good at digging.

It has to be a thing.
Quote by WizMystery

@Deadfish:

Yup.

Even if it's what you would normally call a bad punk song?
Quote by dead-fish
Even if it's what you would normally call a bad punk song?

If you changed up the vocals a bit yeah. It wouldn't really improve the song to the point of perfection but it would do something for me.
So you don't actually give a shit about the feel of the song, or it's vibe or energy or any of that metaphyiscal hububb some folks attribute to music?
Quote by dead-fish
So you don't actually give a shit about the feel of the song, or it's vibe or energy or any of that metaphyiscal hububb some folks attribute to music?

I don't know where you got that from. Aesthetic is the actual feel of the song/part of the song. I thought this whole conversation* we're having right now was about that?
Last edited by WizMystery at Sep 20, 2010,
Quote by WizMystery
Some friend told me about At the Gates before, it wasn't really my thing at the time but I'm getting there (I'm strategically buying albums in a certain order of genre). I've barely touched swedish metal, I'm still buying Meshuggah's albums.

Its more based on the fact that the album is composed of D beats, power chords, and single note melodies, but remains a monolithic cornerstone in the world of Death Metal.

sure Meshuggah is alright, but its just rythymn, there is no story told through the riffs, its just "Hey we are in 11/8 now, then we'll play in 17/16, then have a 3 bar special of 27/32! LOOK HOW TALENTED WE ARE"

Unfortunatly, the music ends up devolving into sonic wallpaper. Not to say I don't enjoy the 'shug, but I recognize the music for what it is.
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by progbass
Its more based on the fact that the album is composed of D beats, power chords, and single note melodies, but remains a monolithic cornerstone in the world of Death Metal.

sure Meshuggah is alright, but its just rythymn, there is no story told through the riffs, its just "Hey we are in 11/8 now, then we'll play in 17/16, then have a 3 bar special of 27/32! LOOK HOW TALENTED WE ARE"

Unfortunatly, the music ends up devolving into sonic wallpaper. Not to say I don't enjoy the 'shug, but I recognize the music for what it is.

You have passed the test.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by progbass

Yeah I'm getting the "everything sounds the same" vibe off of them. It sort of worked with me for Catch 33 because I thought it was part of the concept but then I realized they carried it over into obZen. They're more than rhythm though, I particularly like their neo-jazz chromatics because it's something I've never really heard before.
Quote by WizMystery
I don't know where you got that from. Aesthetic is the actual feel of the song/part of the song. I thought this whole conversation* we're having right now was about that?

And the entire aesthetic is changed just by turning powerchords into octaved notes?
Quote by progbass
sure Meshuggah is alright, but its just rythymn, there is no story told through the riffs
Oh please, not you, too.
Quote by dead-fish
And the entire aesthetic is changed just by turning powerchords into octaved notes?

Quote by WizMystery
If you changed up the vocals a bit yeah. It wouldn't really improve the song to the point of perfection but it would do something for me.

Hmm?

Powerchords play a large part in me disliking a "bad punk song," but it isn't the only thing. The general aesthetic plays a part too, I'm just saying that the powerchords are part of the reason.
But you did say it would do something for you.
I'm not puzzled by the concept as much as I am puzzled by you singling out powerchords. The tonal difference between octaves and powerchords is minimal, yet you insist on its importance.
Inverted 4ths bro

@ Wbat - I still love you

@the young lad - I should of been more specific. Destroy Erase Improve and Nothing is what I drew my conclusions and theories and opinons from
HESSIAN HAREM