Hey everybody..
first off i searchbarred it but all i came up with was just random how to earn money stuff... what im gonna ask here is different..

so i am working online and locally in the music industry. private orders.. no employer..
so far i do stuff like instrument repair, setup, cleaning, lessons, consulting and everything.. not that much to keep a life going but i live with ma parents (that's pretty common for my country) and i was gonna ask what other ways would you guys suggest?? like services... i also do scalloping and moding.. ear transcriptions and whatnot and i need such ideas not just "go to this site and pass tests earn money"
just fair work which depends from you and your skills

thanx in advance... im trying to get more famous here in armenia... as a guitar tech and guitarist... i'd appreciate help
Obtain a banjo and threaten to play it unless people give you money. Actually, an accordion would work better.....
^^ lol i was expecting a more mature answer

yeah Dio i actually thought about those but the music industry these days here is not that good .. hmm may be online stuff i could advertise in my site or something?

oh my god i talking to Dio :highfive:

something that could be done in distance and wouldnt need physical presence
learn to customize pedals? setup a site where people will ship their pedal to your for you to mod it or customize it.

Get a shop and start making guitars

Learn to mix and master, have people send you their songs and you finish them up.

save up enough money to move out of the country (no offense intended at all of your country!)
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
^^ yup.. tah's what im trying to do.. im not good at moddign pedals yet but i make guitars and mod em and repair.. paint em or repaint and whatnot

i also offer the online mastering thing haha

tho for going abroad... i am working on that one but that's a bit an ass to do.. so im just waiting for some stuff to be approved and im out.. i dont like it here either
Quote by Vendetta V
thanx in advance... im trying to get more famous here in armenia... as a guitar tech and guitarist... i'd appreciate help

Well they're two different things. Guitar techs work on guitars, guitarists play them.

You'll have to be more specific about your goals, and identify what you need to achieve them. So you've set up some shop working on guitars, you could make this bigger? I'm not sure how that would help you as a "known" guitarist though.

How about an education relevant to your desired career? Yes, you may claim to know everything, but networking with other people in the fields is required if you want to expand outside your mother's house.

I have never been to Armenia. I have no idea what it is like there. But you may be able to see what services are needed in your country and have some ideas as to how to fill the niche.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
You'll have to be more specific about your goals, and identify what you need to achieve them. So you've set up some shop working on guitars, you could make this bigger? I'm not sure how that would help you as a "known" guitarist though.

well i have this small shop like thing.. its more like an internet based place... ok now the idea is that i want to earn money (enough to buy some pedals gear and whatnot) and i want to offer every service possible

i offer loads of different stuff such as guitar setup maintenance and stuff and not for guitar only... i can make custom guitars or fix guitar and whatnot but the thing is that in here you get one customer per quarter or something. really it'st that bad... so im doing stuff over internet as well... which is better as i work with ppl from abroad ... i offer them the low price which is pretty fine for me but is pretty low considering the prices on market

now i am looking for ideas, new services for internet work.. like many sites offer consulting of your music where you pay money and they listen to your stuff and whatnot then tell you the thing then listen to you after a month or something to see if you have gone up or something

i need such ideas

How about an education relevant to your desired career? Yes, you may claim to know everything, but networking with other people in the fields is required if you want to expand outside your mother's house.
yeah ive thought about it... and i am planning to study in states when i move there (hopefully) but not in here.. expensive and useless. iwas invited to conservatory (the only music uni here) and i said no. it';s rubbish.. ppl there dont even know that there are only CDEFGAB. they think there might be some HIJK also ... so yeah armenia is not the best place to study..
and yeah i am wanting to go to study in states for the connections you can make out there.. no need to go to studios or something everyday (when you dont work there actually) and look for connections... you go study there and get into the whole music industry (partial but well im saying what you are saying )

I have never been to Armenia. I have no idea what it is like there. But you may be able to see what services are needed in your country and have some ideas as to how to fill the niche.
believe me you dont want to be here... everything is so bad here...
specially now the political stuff and... well whatever
Quote by Vendetta V
iwas invited to conservatory (the only music uni here) and i said no. it';s rubbish.. ppl there dont even know that there are only CDEFGAB. they think there might be some HIJK also ... so yeah armenia is not the best place to study..

believe me you dont want to be here... everything is so bad here...
specially now the political stuff and... well whatever

Well I don't really understand the reasons for not going to the conservatory, but English probably isn't your first language and it's phrased wrong.

As for your country, if you hate it that much, there's an extensive road, train and air network linking you to the rest of the world.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Well I don't really understand the reasons for not going to the conservatory, but English probably isn't your first language and it's phrased wrong.

As for your country, if you hate it that much, there's an extensive road, train and air network linking you to the rest of the world.

^Immigration doesn't really happen just by virtue of the fact you can physically get to the place.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by nightwind
^Immigration doesn't really happen just by virtue of the fact you can physically get to the place.

$$$$$$ + Initiative = Immigration
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
Quote by Tominator_1991
$$$$$$ + Initiative = Immigration

And judging by the thread title id say he doesn't have the first.

the couple of people I know who pay their rent with music are more or less classically trained musicians or on the way to becoming one and they do everything. One teaches multiple instruments (clarinet, flute, saks, etc.... and guitar, double bass, mandolin, etc...) and gigs with a billion different little groups...he gave a number that he does about 20 gigs per month on average (its either that are get one really good paying gig but those are usually taken). Another gives classical guitar lessons at 20€/hour which is damn fine pay in this country.

I know a couple of people here in relatively successful cover bands (i.e. they are booked out flat for all the weekends for the entire summer), but they ones that aren't living at home still have a regular jobs.

The people I know in metal bands and such are happy to just get free beer after a show and sell CDs
Quote by seljer
the couple of people I know who pay their rent with music are more or less classically trained musicians or on the way to becoming one and they do everything. One teaches multiple instruments (clarinet, flute, saks, etc.... and guitar, double bass, mandolin, etc...) and gigs with a billion different little groups...he gave a number that he does about 20 gigs per month on average (its either that are get one really good paying gig but those are usually taken). Another gives classical guitar lessons at 20€/hour which is damn fine pay in this country.

I know a couple of people here in relatively successful cover bands (i.e. they are booked out flat for all the weekends for the entire summer), but they ones that aren't living at home still have a regular jobs.

The people I know in metal bands and such are happy to just get free beer after a show and sell CDs

Throwin in on this. I'm one of those classically trained guys but I can play jazz charts do solo guitar jazz gigs, just finish recording rock guitar solos for a studio and I teach and just ***** myself out aurally anyway I can.

There's a saying - Either be able to do classical , jazz, and commercial music and you can make it, or be 3 times as good at one of those as anyone else is.

hmm well earning money from the gigs is not real in here..
so that's a different kettle of fish..

i do give lessons ut tis like 5.5 bux an hour which is fine for this country.. not great but still i's money.. however i dont have many students...
that's the thing.. the ones who care to mod their guitars or take lessons or whatever are just.. they jsut cant afford it.. the ones who dont care have got bunch of money.. but well they dont care
Make your cheers, dances, and stunts worth money! Show off your squad's stuff at a Saturday cheer expo and invite everyone to attend! Charge a small admission fee and sell donated goodies to the crowd.
Quote by nightwind

True. No chance. Give up.
Soundcloud
My impression is that you probably should focus on one or two, or a couple at most of those activites. You seem to undertake a hell of a lot within the music sphere.

I don't mean this as a criticism of you, but I think it's inevitable that if you spread yourself so thin you're making it hard to become known as an expert at any one thing. For instance, you say 'repair, setup, cleaning, lessons, consulting, scalloping, modding and transcribing'. That sounds like an awful lot to me.

Here's an example of what I mean. In my city, if you want your guitar repaired, you take it to a guitar shop. Several shops offer the service, and one shop is renowned as 'the' place to get your guitar repaired and modded. People aren't going to be convinced that you'll do an expert job with a guitar repair, if you're basically telling them that guitar repair is just one of loads of things you do. Think like a customer - if you needed a guitar repaired, would you go to a guy who only did guitar repairs, or would you go to the guy who claims to do repairs in addition to loads of other unrelated services? - It's all summed up in the expression 'jack of all trades, master of none'.

Do you see my point, Vendetta? Happy to talk further if you want to PM, or right here on the forum is cool too.
Hey CB mm nice reply actually.. i guess we can talk it here so if anybody else might be having similar issues he can find it here may be?

so yeah true.. that's an awful lot but hmm i actually advertise myself as being a V's Music Store. which is like a store (but non official) which has got a workhouse and a small crew
so basically i dont claim that i do all the stuff alone.. but rather im a crew that does different jobs

its jstu that there's little to no offers here so you cant realyl narrow it up...
also there's noone that repairs guitars and whatnot here.. one dude makes guitars (he's like late 50s i guess) and he sells those for aroudn 4k-5k and he aint gonan be bothered with your minor repair stuff...
so actually ad most of teh stuff i can do cz i really can and i have sm guys who may back me up if its a huge order or something..

so if i narrow it up i'll be having one order per 2 or three years

anyways let continue our conversation im sure we'll get to some really good ideas and whatnot
nope as i said im too poor to afford a site.. but ihave a facebook page

which is not much organized but i want to do teh PDF and upload it somewhere so i can link ppl to the catalog where they can see the prices and terms and whatnot

add me i nfacebook i'll suggest the page then
www.facebook.com/vshred
Sorry man, I don't have facebook. Must be the only person in the world who doesn't, but I can't stand the damn thing.

I think your first step should be to get a website. In a business sense, a facebook page which doubles as your personal page isn't going to cut it. You could operate a facebook page specifically for your business as an ancillary to a website, but it won't do on its own.

I did a quick domain search, www.v-music-store.com is available. Getting a website up and running isn't as hard as you might think. There are lots of great providers out there. One that I know of is moonfruit.com - check it out and see what you think of their pricing and features. I'm reluctant to go into detail about this company on the forum, because people here are really quick to report so-called advertising. Let me just say that you can get a website up and running with e-commerce features for around 50 pounds sterling.
yeah well anyways i think you can view my Music store page
at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vs-music-store/118448361533417?ref=sgm

i was thinking of creating a website... i even registered a free domain: www.vshred.co.cc
vshred is the leywoard i use everywhere. my email, my links... so it was gonna be more like an ultimate place where you have lesson info, services, my music, recording info and whatnot...
its jsut the thing is that i dont have time to write down teh whole site thing. i know html and some advanced stuff too but.. i hardly keep up with my time schedule... eh anyways wmaking a PDF would be easier as you work wtih graphics only.. working with a website might take a long while.... and not so many ppl pay attention to the internet here
local music stores have no websites.... i dont know why... but still
Okay. If you don't want a website, you need to do some old-school marketing. The pdf is a good idea. Get it burned onto CD and distribute it everywhere you can - guitar shops, colleges, universities, at gigs etc. Even better, make a video as well as/instead of the pdf.

Blanket your local area in leaflets. Partner with guitar shops that don't do already do repair services. Get some youtube videos with walkthroughs of simple repairs to demonstrate your credentials - I really liked the 5 photos of the guitar restoration on your facebook, you need to get that out there. You could video that process and put it on youtube.

-- Just read back over our conversation.

You said no one does guitar repairs. You also said there are guitar stores in your area. Therefore, why not arrange with each guitar store that in exchange for them promoting you in-store, you will give them a commission on each repair you do for customers they send you. Say you charge £100 for a repair, give the store who sent you the customer £20. They benefit, you benefit.
Last edited by CBannerman at Sep 23, 2010,
yup i was thinking about it.. the stores are pretty far from so.. im gonna say that to the one that is in center once i get there...
cooperating with stores could be pretty good... im gonna do it pretty soon

yes im soon uploading sm new photos which are pretty good i guess. one is just a jack soldering but with loads of pics so it shows im organized and the second one is an old guitar repair..., stripping, painting, cleaning so...
might let you know when i upload

yeah guess i need visit cards and cds... at least visit cards. which is gonna look serious. you know

oh btw im uploading the pics so that'll take about 10 mins
No. That would take YEARS to build to a profitable level. He already said he can't afford a website, how the hell could he afford that? (videographers, microphones, recording software, high-end computers, graphic designers..... be serious - there's far too much involved in that.

So what do you think V? Have you decided what to do?
well im now thinking of doing the catalog and as soon as i come out and have free time go and talk with the music stores...

hmm im thinking of may be printing visit cards as well and giving them away but that doesnt seem much promising. like talking to random ppl during concerts like "hey, Im a guitar tech and i offer this and that" ... that aint gonna work out..
still trying to spread my services i tell every dude i think might be involved in music or know anybody who is...

EDIT: true the website would need a lot of money and time to set up. all the lesson ideas, cameras, lights, video editors.... then advertising
Last edited by Vendetta V at Sep 24, 2010,
You need to try some things V. Most of the suggestions.... you're shooting them down without trying them and it's starting to grate.

R.e. handing out things at gigs, I did not mean talk to 'random people' - clearly that's pointless. Say there are four bands playing at a local gig (not an uncommon situation) - that's probably at least 4 guitarists and 4 bassists present that night. So that's 8 prospective leads you can hand out your brochures/vouchers to. If there were 3 gigs a week you could go to, that's 24 new leads per week. Way more than you're generating at the moment I bet. What's the problem?

You have a better chance of making money if you at least try some things, than if you say 'no that won't work' right from the start.
Quote by CBannerman
You need to try some things V. Most of the suggestions.... you're shooting them down without trying them and it's starting to grate.

R.e. handing out things at gigs, I did not mean talk to 'random people' - clearly that's pointless. Say there are four bands playing at a local gig (not an uncommon situation) - that's probably at least 4 guitarists and 4 bassists present that night. So that's 8 prospective leads you can hand out your brochures/vouchers to. If there were 3 gigs a week you could go to, that's 24 new leads per week. Way more than you're generating at the moment I bet. What's the problem?

You have a better chance of making money if you at least try some things, than if you say 'no that won't work' right from the start.

I'm starting to think he just wants us to give him money or something.

Quote by nightwind
I'm starting to think he just wants us to give him money or something.

- Quite. Or come in and run the entire business.

V, I think my advice has been pretty good, particularly my suggestion about partnering with music stores - that could be the entire business model right there. I've made loads of other solid suggestions besides that. You've received a significant amount of quality input for free - what else do you expect? I'm not going to sit here giving you free business advice while you disregard everything I say. It falls to you to action these ideas.

You don't sound like you're prepared to invest any time, real effort or money into anything other than what you already do, which, as you've admitted yourself, has yielded very limited results. You've raised a problem with just about every suggestion:

I suggested you build a website. I even gave you the name of a provider, AND checked out a URL for you...what did you say?

'i was thinking of creating a website...i dont have time to write down the whole site....working with a website might take a long while'

Okay. So then I suggested you distribute your brochure and leaflets at relevant locations and events. Your responses?

'that doesnt seem much promising'

'talking to random ppl during concerts...that aint gonna work'

I came back and suggested partnering with guitar stores, getting them to do the bulk of your promotion and making use of their existing client base. Isn't that pretty easy to do and potentially very profitable? Yet you still have somthing negative to say:

'the stores are pretty far'

Until you can take on board peoples' advice and meet them halfway, this is completely one-sided and pointless.

Over and out
Hey CBannerman... yeah it's been a long while but oh well i agree with you...

however ive been a good boy recently i talked to three of 5 music stores in my city (and country actually)

the first one had this dude who was doing the soldering and whatnot and he's a mate of mine. he said he'll forward anybody who needs more advanced stuff to me... the other two were better as they had no techs and took my name and number and said they'll forward anybody and that hey dont need any salary but they were kinda interested... the guys i talked to said the most needed repair was the fret buzz, trussrod and whatnot.. so that's good im waiting for some orders

i now dont have money left but im soon to start some lessons again and taht way i have constant income (tho it's actually too little compared to US prices for instance) but still i'll be able to print some full colored posters to ask and post in the music stores.. and may be visit cards (that's gonna cost a bit more i guess but hopefully i'll get it down in time)... also planning to copy some CDs with my music on it and a PDF catalog of the services i offer. the catalog is on its way... hmm giving the CDs to guitarists and whatnot could give them a good idea of the quality i can record with and master, the way i play... and its more attractive since its a computer virtual format i guess... giving them to mates is also gonna work if i ask them to give to other friends and something huh?
Quote by Steel8909
boy band

first off, he would have to find exactly four members, because he just could never make money with only a four member boy band.... then he risks getting really rich and really famous only to have it ripped away from him... and of course his school family and girlfriend that he left to go start the band would only laugh at him, and never accept him as a normal part of their lives.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Cruise lines are often looking for musicians. If you want to travel and maybe gain a rep with other musicians it's worth a shot. I know a few guys who've done it and they're quite happy they did.
Cruise??? you mean.. errm tell me more

first off, he would have to find exactly four members, because he just could never make money with only a four member boy band.... then he risks getting really rich and really famous only to have it ripped away from him... and of course his school family and girlfriend that he left to go start the band would only laugh at him, and never accept him as a normal part of their lives.

haaha.. well i aint got a GF and i aint got friends and whatnot so the part of the job is done already
on the other hand i am going to play alone like Buckethead or something but i doubt that i'll get any money out of it you know. in this country it's either free (which is hard to come by) either "pay to play"
Well, ya know cruise ships...boats and shit. lol. You get to play just about every night and you get comped for living expenses, meals, etc. Only thing, is you've got to be able to read pretty well and be cool with just playing what's in front of you. Not a ton of room for individuality.