Page 1 of 2
Hey guys I just wanna know if any of you use thin picks. Lately i've been noticing that I buzz alot when i start playing heavy and for some reason I randomly picked up a think pick and instead of using the tip im playing the rounded side aka the tip is facing toward my palm. I've discovered thatI actually don't lose any of the heavyness in the music at all. I'm wondering if anyone else uses thin picks in styles you wouldnt normally use them for.
I use really thin picks all the time. I find it easier to play fast and I find it helps play sweeps.
nah, I like tortex's, the heavy ones
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
I always use thin picks! My personal favourite are the big ol' Gibson triangular jobbies.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Doesn't George Lynch do something similar? I could be very wrong but I seem to recall reading about something he did that's close to what you describe.
Nah man i love my clayton 1mm and 1.52mm
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
'yeah I use jazz 3's alot or used to. But i slapped some heavier guage strings on my guitar. and I think thats one reason why it was buzzing but I agree its helping me play faster too. its really weird. And idk if lynch did something similar i should look it up.
I used to use thin but I have a problem with them cause you get loud clicking when you record. I pick very light though. Plus like every one says thicker picks give better tone
i dont think it's the actual pick that gives better tone, i think it's how well you can use that pick, and if you use something you're comfortable with and you practice enough, your playing will sound great. i think thats the misconception. thicer picks are to make sure you have something to grip and practice on, but as you thin down, you need to have more control and better technique and maybe not even play as hard.

technically, its all preference, but getting a technique down with a thin pick should be somewhat mastered in my opinion. not necessary, but its like learning theory. its not mandatory, but will definately help.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
i dont think it's the actual pick that gives better tone, i think it's how well you can use that pick, and if you use something you're comfortable with and you practice enough, your playing will sound great. i think thats the misconception. thicer picks are to make sure you have something to grip and practice on, but as you thin down, you need to have more control and better technique and maybe not even play as hard.

technically, its all preference, but getting a technique down with a thin pick should be somewhat mastered in my opinion. not necessary, but its like learning theory. its not mandatory, but will definately help.

def agree. I think that my playing and the tiny nuances of my playing have gotten better. I feel I am a more dynamic player now
I always use thin picks as well. I switch between thin and medium. I like the tone better with thin picks. I feel like there is too much bass/kinda muffled sounding with a thick pick. I usually use Fender thin picks, or picks that are around .50 mm. Anything heavy I feel is too difficult to strum chords with. If I play heavy with a heavy pick I get a little buzz on some frets. I try to lighten my touch a bit.

I think the reason why some people like thin picks and some like thick picks for their tone, is because it all depends on your amp settings, or pickup settings. I think a thin pick sounds great when I have both bridge and neck pickups, or just neck pickups selected, but I feel there is too much treble if I'm on the bridge pickup. However, if I'm on the bridge pickup, a thick pick tends to balance out that high treble and makes it sound more balanced to me. From there you just have to decide which pick feels best to you. I have no problem working with a thin pick, and love it for chord work as well as picking individual strings. However, anything under .50mm tends to get a little sloppy and innacurate for me when I'm picking indiivudual strings.
Godin Summit CT - Natural
Vox VT 50 amplifier
Vox V847 Wah pedal
.71 picks are almost perfect for me to play with. Anything less or more thick feels clumsier in my hands.
I normally use Jazz IIIs but I don't mind the small Fender Heavy's either. I'll use just about anything if I have to though.
I pride myself on my humility.
I use Tortex 1.14s that I file down.
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Dunlop SHARP 1.14mm. I love those picks :3
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Quote by mcjosh
I use heavy picks, Dunlop Jazz III's.

Best picks ever. Period.
Ibanez 540R
Ibanez RG1421F Prestige
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG120
Charvel 275DLX
Peavey Grind BXP 6-string Bass
Interesting question. I use thick picks because I hit the strings so aggressively that thin picks actually chip and break. But that's might fault more than the pick's.

ron666
i personally think thin picks arent great for say, metal or chugging coz you dont get as an aggressive pick attack on them.
Frankly, I hate thin picks because they just don't fit right in my thumb and finger. I used to use .71, but after using a 1mm I upgraded, then to a 1.5, and now I'm using 2mm for jazz and 2.75mm for everything else. No other thickness feels or sounds right.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
dunlop ultex 1.14 FTW
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

I use tortex .50's... I used to use Brain .53's but from a sponsor, I got a bunch of free Dunlop picks and strings. Haven't gone back.
Your choice of picks(and how you use it) is just as individual as your choice of guitar more or less. If it feels and sounds right - it's the pick you stick to. It's sort of topic but I just get a little provoked when people come with statement like: "Thick picks give better tone"

I prefere thin to medium picks called: Herco flex 50. I often chew on my picks and they got superior chewability!
Alright people, Move along - there is nothing to see.
"Or so you think..."
Quote by Fender Dane.
Your choice of picks(and how you use it) is just as individual as your choice of guitar more or less. If it feels and sounds right - it's the pick you stick to. It's sort of topic but I just get a little provoked when people come with statement like: "Thick picks give better tone"

I prefere thin to medium picks called: Herco flex 50. I often chew on my picks and they got superior chewability!

i totally agree. its weird I use different picks in different situations and songs. For some reason when I'm playing like blues songs I prefer good ole fender mediums. Idk why I just believe they give me a nice blues sounds (im crazy i know) but in other songs I would use other picks. In my high school jazz band I taped different picks to the music stand and just kept switching picks the whole night and when I was done I would just chuck them. lol
Quote by mcjosh

Switching to Jazz III's was the best thing I've ever done as a guitarist. The picks MAKE you play cleaner and more precise. It's not just a shredder's pick, either. I'm a country and blues player. I chicken and hybrid pick with them constantly. Wonderful picks.

Also, TS, your guitar shouldn't be buzzing out on you when you strum harder. Is your action too low? No matter how hard you hit the strings (within reason) they should still resonate without slamming against frets.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I use .73mm, .88mm, and occasionally a 1.14mm Tortex. The .73 is by far the most comfortable, and the one I play best with. If I need to chug on the low E or anything, I choke it a little, and it works fine. I can do the trem picking in Knights of Cydonia faster and cleaner with the .73mm than I can with the other two. I'm hoping to find something like a .75mm or .76mm, since I think that would be perfect, but alas.

And no, picks won't affect your tone. Any difference you're hearing is because you can play better with one pick over another.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
I use thin picks. I think that they have better sound. Doesn't mean they do, but thats just what I think. I can't stand playing with thick picks.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
tortex .60 for me, I like the thwap. I can play FAST too and it sounds better IMHO. I play herd and with a thick pick i'd hurt myself XD
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
i like medium picks. not stiff, but not too floppy.
however i normally use thick ones because they don't wear down as fast and last a little longer.
Quote by OliOsbourne
dunlop ultex 1.14 FTW

I use the Ultex Sharps 1.0...pick of destiny!
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by Pink Muse

And no, picks won't affect your tone. Any difference you're hearing is because you can play better with one pick over another.

I beg to differ. I tend to find thicker picks to have more of a dull sound to the strum. Thinner picks seem to have a more articulate, brightness to them.

Same goes for sharp vs. dull, sharper ones are significantly brighter to my ears than dull ones.

I also find that nylon picks give a warmer pluck than tortex picks, and they seem to have a thicker pick sound while maintaining the thinner pick feel.

It's significantly easier for me to play with a broken in tortex than a new one or a too old one. Nylons seem to last longer, but they don't feel as flexible to me.

The substance a pick is made of and the thickness really changes how the guitar sounds. My friend use thick picks for some reason... Then again, their amps aren't all that nice. I never really noticed the different sounds picks make until I started cranking my Spider 15W a little louder than normal practice and even further when I got the Bandit.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Sep 20, 2010,
well, obviously this is just a personal opinion of mine, but i use anything from a range of .87 to 1.16. I find that for heavy thrash I tend to use thicker picks and I use lighter picks for shredding or a hybrid for both. I don't file my picks because i find it unnecessary and tortex's are a personal favorite.
I use 2-3 mm stainless steel picks. But then again, I also use a set of 11-70's for my strings. I don't think that a thin pick would even be able to move my strings at all.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Actually, correction, I use Tortex 1.14 on electric and bass. I use Fender Mediums on acoustic. sound brighter and clearer.
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Quote by mcjosh

Damn straight.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps: