Hello all.

I'm researching what chorus pedal to get at the moment. I just recently got a new overdrive pedal, and I think chorus is the next one I want.

Through my own research, I've decided so far on the EHX Nano Clone, but I'm skeptical of this because it only has one knob. I'd prefer it to have more customization, but I've yet to find something that sound better.

A lot of the clips I've heard are hit or miss though. Some sound amazing, and some sound really horrible. I've heard a lot more bad things about it than good as well.

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

I'm not looking for a boutique pedal. I'm primarily looking for something under $100. The cheaper the better obviously. I'm buying used.

I'd prefer if it was a Boss, Ibanez, Digitech or EHX, but I'm open to any suggestions.

The ideal chorus sound I'm looking for is this. (At 2:01)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_627239&v=Pgnszg63-H4&feature=iv
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Small Clone
Black Label Chorus
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
Nooo, don't go for the Nano Clone. Hated it when I tried it. Try the EHX Small Clone, Visual Sound Liquid Chorus, or the Hardwire Chorus.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
I would go with the regular Small Clone.

I am also selling one, as well as my delay that you are interested in.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25094364#post25094364

I am only selling it for 50, well under your budget.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
The qualm I have with the small clone is how big it is (lol). I'm building an 8X2 sized pedalboard, and there simply isn't room for pedals bigger than the Digitech Hardwires. I haven't seen one in real life - can anyone say how big it is compared to a Hardwire pedal, or a Boss?

And to acdclandon you can reply to the PM I sent you a few days ago about that. We'll talk more about it there.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If the small clone is too big EHX just released the neo clone, which is the same as the small clone but in a smaller box.

The nano clone is shite.

Theres quite a few mods available for the small clone though.
Replacing the depth switch for a pot is a common one and easy enough to do, but i have no idea what the guts of the neo clone look like so i dunno if itd be possible on it.
Quote by beckyjc
If the small clone is too big EHX just released the neo clone, which is the same as the small clone but in a smaller box.

The nano clone is shite.

Thanks. I've never heard of that before, I'll look into it.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The Neo Clone is looking really good. Does anyone know if they fixed the power problems with the Nano pedals?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Imma throw in my suggestion for the Danelectro Cool Cat chorus. It's really nice and a lot more versatile than any of EHX's clone choruses. They sound great, don't get mme wrong, but i've always found them to be one trick ponies.

Don't let the price fool you. I know people who have replaced high end choruses with this one because it sounded good enough and they made a $100+ profit selling off their old chorus
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 19, 2010,
I need something that is going to be gig worthy. That looks like it would get destroyed at a metal show.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I need something that is going to be gig worthy. That looks like it would get destroyed at a metal show.

the Cool Cat series are a HUGE improvement over the old FAB tone series. They're housed in metal instead of plastic. My buddy Sam is a big dude and when he stomps on a pedal, he STOMPS. His CC pedals have not had a problem yet. he likes the Cool Cats because you can really stomp the pedal without worrying about messing up your knobs.

try one out, they're everywhere. if it doesn't feel solid enough for you, don't buy it.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
I received a Boss Super Chorus for Xmas and I used it for 5 hours straight through a Mesa. LOVE that tone.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Quote by Offworld92
The Neo Clone is looking really good. Does anyone know if they fixed the power problems with the Nano pedals?

Power problems?
I know the nano clone was reverse polarity if thats what you mean. Meaning you cant daisy chain it with other pedals.

The neo clone is regular polarity as far as i know.
Yeah. That is a problem to me, haha.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have DOD FX68 Super Stereo Chorus pedal that I love.Sounds great with my Hot Rod Deluxe.
Well the ultimate chorus pedal is the Red Witch Empress but that's way above your budget.

A very under appreciated chorus pedal is in my opinion the Carl-Martin classic chorus,i've tried it many times and it sounds great,it's kinda like a poor mans Empress actually.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Check out the BBE Mind Bender. They can be had for around $60 used and has a very warm, lush tone to it as well as a great vibrato mode. It's a seriously under rated pedal, one of my favorite choruses across most price-points.

Edit:
Quote by Clay-man
Anything besides a BOSS

Boss had made some great choruses in their time
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Last edited by IsThereLoveInSp at Sep 19, 2010,
Quote by Clay-man
Anything besides a BOSS

No.

TS, see if you can find a Boss CE-2. Some may require 12V, but it will work off a 9V source or a battery, and they sound great too.
Quote by Clay-man
Anything besides a BOSS

Pictured: Anything besides a Boss.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 19, 2010,
^

All the unwarranted hate for Boss on these forums makes me so mad. You'd think that they never put out a single good pedal. Admittedly, they do have some bad ones, and I have owned some of their bad ones, but imo out of all the pedals they've made, they've made far more good than bad. One of my Boss pedals is MIJ, and it's amazing.

Quote by bogg808
No.

TS, see if you can find a Boss CE-2. Some may require 12V, but it will work off a 9V source or a battery, and they sound great too.

I looked at a few on youtube, and while I know that is a poor representation of sound, I didn't really like it.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for the Neo Clone now. It seems to be the best option for me.

Thank you all who have made suggestions and helped me find some good stuff.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
^

All the unwarranted hate for Boss on these forums makes me so mad. You'd think that they never put out a single good pedal. Admittedly, they do have some bad ones, and I have owned some of their bad ones, but imo out of all the pedals they've made, they've made far more good than bad. One of my Boss pedals is MIJ, and it's amazing.

I looked at a few on youtube, and while I know that is a poor representation of sound, I didn't really like it.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for the Neo Clone now. It seems to be the best option for me.

Thank you all who have made suggestions and helped me find some good stuff.

Some are good, some are crap, some are overpriced for the effect you get.
Generally I've found that everything they make besides distortion pedals are really good. They're distortions are sound really poor, and I think that's where most of the hate comes from.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If u can find one used and save a couple more bux and the analogman chorus is the best I've heard.