How do you get free guitars by getting endorsed? Like do you approach them or do they approach you? And amps come to think of it...how does the deal work anyway, they give you guitars and amps on the condition you play them at all your gigs or what?
Basically..

Be very famous/good at what you do, then they'll give you guitars on the basis you play them and promote them.

Mostly the famous part though - Johnny Nobody doesn't just get free guitars.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

you've got to be gigging loads, they want their name to be seen!
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
Best thread I've stumbled upon in a good few months purely because I never would've seen that video otherwise. strat335 I love you for posting that.
Quote by kerkhammet
How do you get free guitars by getting endorsed? Like do you approach them or do they approach you? And amps come to think of it...how does the deal work anyway, they give you guitars and amps on the condition you play them at all your gigs or what?
Tour extensively, and for a better deal, sell lots of records.

Simples.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by A-G-guitarist
Best thread I've stumbled upon in a good few months purely because I never would've seen that video otherwise. strat335 I love you for posting that.

glad I could help
You should definitely watch that Chappers video, especially that part where he says about if you do get endorsed or whatever, don't expect to get a truck full of free guitars. A friend of mine is sponsored by Ibanez, and he expected to get free guitars and pedals. All he got was a 20% discount when he ordered stuff directly from Ibanez. Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty sweet deal, but he was absolutely devastated when he found out he wasn't getting any free stuff.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
I'm assuming they just give you guitars, and you don't HAVE to use them. A local shredder where I live is endorsed by ESP, and I'm pretty sure the only ESP he uses is his 7, most of the vids I've seen him in he's using an Ibby or a G&L Comanche. XD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by Enix165
I'm assuming they just give you guitars, and you don't HAVE to use them. A local shredder where I live is endorsed by ESP, and I'm pretty sure the only ESP he uses is his 7, most of the vids I've seen him in he's using an Ibby or a G&L Comanche. XD

most companies make you use their gear exclusivly and if you don't comply you get in some serious trouble with them
Quote by druggietoad2k5
Basically..

Be very famous/good at what you do, then they'll give you guitars on the basis you play them and promote them.

Mostly the famous part though - Johnny Nobody doesn't just get free guitars.

This. You can be the greatest player in the world, but if you aren't known, you won't get anything. Take Richard Z from Rammstein, as much as I love the band, he rarely does anything other than simple rhythm stuff, most of the song is the keyboards, but he still isn't just endorsed by ESP, he also has a signature guitar(although they don't have it on the american site anymore, just the japanese site).
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by britishsligean
most companies make you use their gear exclusivly and if you don't comply you get in some serious trouble with them

Ah. Well, it could just be ESP trying to get endorsed, they endorsed, like, an MMA fighter or something? XD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
When it comes to endorsements it really matters about exposure.

If you gig a hell of lot, have had tours/have tours lined up, are known throughout a large area, have loads of "plays" or "views" on youtube/myspace/facebook etc etc and probably have a decently selling EP, Demo or Album.

Then contact companies, but be aware, you may not get one from like Ibanez, Fender, etc too easily.
Go for smaller companies initially, or early-starting companies, then you're up for a bigger chance of getting an endorsement.

Rarely do sites give a specification on what to do to get endorsed by them, but a few do, such as ENGL, last time I checked you needed to be signed to a major label or have a large tour coming up to get a discount deal with them, but if you really want a company to endorse you give them an email to ask what they want from an endorsee.

Also, I wouldn't suggest gaining an endorsement in hopes for good deals on their products. The best thing an endorsement is for is for your own progression and exposure, while you need a lot of exposure to get an endorsement, having one makes you look all the better.
You can then say you're "[brand] artist [name]" and people will think "Oh, wow, they're associated with some kind of gear." and you'll look better.
With most mid-level bands that are popular but not selling out stadiums, you don't even get free guitars, just discounted ones.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
In soviet Russia, endorsement finds you.

On a more serious note, you have to have a pretty good fan base to get an endorsement deal.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
i don't know how it is in the music industry, but if it's anything like the paintball industry, don't even bother with it. unless you're the next jason becker (minus the LEDs) or something like that. because in the end, if you're just a small player, you WILL get ****ed over in the end.

To compare it to my experience with paintball sponsorships, i will protect the names of the innocent.

basically it started out with my team, which was led by the owner of the biggest store around (or within an hour or two atleast). this automatically allowed us access to some decent names. our team went to several tournaments, doing well in our class.

over the course of a month or two, we were offered 4 sponsorships by different small companies. as far as "small" goes, compare fender to something like G&L. fender being the biggest companies, and g&l being like the companies we got offers from.

we denied one offer (because it totally made us that companies bitch and kept us from other contracts) and accepted the other 3. We ended up being locked in their contract, going to competitions they wanted us to go to, and ONLY using their stuff that we got a miniscule discount on at most.

like i said, unless you're big enough that you can negotiate the terms, don't fall for it. don't become their advertisement slave.

i figure the guitar industry would be similar. and remember, just because they're endorsed, that doesn't mean they just sit around and get handed money. They're an employee of that company no matter what way you look at it. even the most famous people still get bossed around by their endorsers for advertisement reasons.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
So, if you agree to exclusively use their guitars or amps, you have to use them forever or just a fixed time?

Now this is something I'm gonna do later this year that I hope will push my bands popularity up to the next level (We're a thrash metal band called Warhead) :

We're gonna find out all the battle of the bands happening all over the country within a week or so, book into them all, and do a tour accross the UK, playing at each one. We'll fill in our spare nights of the tour with open mic nights if we have to. Hopefully, if we win more than one of these we should be more popular.

anyway, after we've done this, we're hoping that small time, new amp companies might want to endorse Warhead, and hopefully we will be able to get at least a discount on some decent valve heads and cabs?

My second question is, do you know of any small time/or new amp and guitar companies who we might consider approaching after we're popular enough?
Quote by kerkhammet
So, if you agree to exclusively use their guitars or amps, you have to use them forever or just a fixed time?

It's usually contract based, could be 6 months, could be 6 years.

Now this is something I'm gonna do later this year that I hope will push my bands popularity up to the next level (We're a thrash metal band called Warhead) :

We're gonna find out all the battle of the bands happening all over the country within a week or so, book into them all, and do a tour accross the UK, playing at each one. We'll fill in our spare nights of the tour with open mic nights if we have to. Hopefully, if we win more than one of these we should be more popular.

anyway, after we've done this, we're hoping that small time, new amp companies might want to endorse Warhead, and hopefully we will be able to get at least a discount on some decent valve heads and cabs?

Not sure how Battle of the Bands works in UK, but here they'e an absolute shitfest. Your chances of winning depend almost entirely upon how many tickets you sell- thats why you've got to do them locally if you want a chance at all, that way at least people know you. It doesn't matter if you're a crappy high-school metal band, if you get enough friends to tell their friends and so on, you're good.

If your only following is locals and you want to tour all over the country dominating Battle of the Bands, all I can say is bad, very bad. Don't set yourself up for failure.

I also don't much see the point of finding an endorsement at your level. Most 'new and small time amp companies' are probably struggling to survive, they're not liable to just give you free stuff. If you can pull off a good tour and sell tickets and gain a presence you might be able to hit endorsments on little things like drum heads, drum sticks, picks, strings, etc.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Sep 19, 2010,
I didn't realize that this was even possible. I believe that if you are very well known as a guitar player (meaning that you are playing in front of huge audiences), then the company will approach you. It's the advertising angle. The company will view you as being an excellent source of advertising for their products and so they will be more than happy to give you free stuff.

But the trick is to get famous first. This is not easy.

ron666
Quote by kerkhammet

My second question is, do you know of any small time/or new amp and guitar companies who we might consider approaching after we're popular enough?

Battle of the bands and open mic nights aren't going to be enough. You'll need a decent fan base, most companies will want you to be a real touring band, with scheduled shows with your bands name on the ticket. You need to be able to give their product good exposure, so your going to have to have a somewhat large average crowd size, no company will take you if you're only drawing 40-50 people per show.

Even then, keep in mind that you probably won't be getting free stuff. The real reward is associating yourself with a brand-name company, a guitar/amp/string/accessory company that everyone knows and loves. The exposure your group gets will be the real reward, its not like you'll get free guitars dumped on your doorstep every month.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass