Guitar effect/recording softwares and real time effects (Amplitube, Acid, Cubase)

Are there any real time guitar effect softwares?
Can you explain how they vaguely work?

I have heard that you need a low latency sound card for real time effects, I have a USB 5.1 Sound card I got from Maplin.

I have tried to read it up myself but everyone seems to know exactly what they are talking about.
I can buy Amplitube and I've heard that Serj Tankian used it for his new album.
Do I need a line to USB thing for my guitar?
Do I need Cubase? What is Cubase?
I have Audacity but I can't get it to work (gives errors etc.)

Thanks.
replica black stratocaster, ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom / ernie ball super slinky
digitech death metal
as eg10j 10watt amp
Cubase is multi-track recording software. I use Cubase with a Tascam US-2000 recording interface. I have a photo of the Tascam in my gear pics.
Cubase is a digital audio workstation. It's used in studios for recording tracks, cutting them together, adding effects and such. You only need this (or an equivalent - try "Reaper", it's free and very similar) if you want to record.

For real time effects I'd recommend starting with Guitar Rig 4 (with Rig Kontrol) - http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/native-instruments-guitar-rig-4-kontrol--67535. It's basically a pedalboard you can hook up to your computer and run the program - Guitar Rig 4 - to do all your effects. It's very similar to a normal pedalboard except it goes through the PC... you'll also need some way of getting audio out of your PC and into some good speakers. The pedalboard that is included with the ~£300 package connects directly to your computer so you don't have to worry about latency. You don't need any programs to use this, as Guitar Rig 4 comes as both a standalone application that you can run and as a plugin for use in Cubase/Reaper/Any DAW that supports VST/RTAS/DX plugins.
Last edited by Ultima2876 at Sep 19, 2010,
@Ultima2876
Thanks for your reply, if I wanted to spent that much money on hardware I would get the POD XT Live or similar pedalboard.
I was enquiring about the IK Multimedia ( http://www.ikmultimedia.com/stealthplug/features/ ) because its cheap and much more versatile.

Does anyone have any information specifically on the USB adapter thing and how I could use it in my setup?
replica black stratocaster, ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom / ernie ball super slinky
digitech death metal
as eg10j 10watt amp
Quote by HyeSOADfreak
@Ultima2876
Thanks for your reply, if I wanted to spent that much money on hardware I would get the POD XT Live or similar pedalboard.
I was enquiring about the IK Multimedia ( http://www.ikmultimedia.com/stealthplug/features/ ) because its cheap and much more versatile.

Does anyone have any information specifically on the USB adapter thing and how I could use it in my setup?

The "USB adapter thing" is an audio interface, which is basically a soundcard for recording. If you want decent recordings, you need one, and you can usually plug mics/guitars into them.
I plug into a Stealth Pedal, which goes into my computer. That pedal is made by the same people who make Amplitube (IK Multimedia). Works just fine, although for some reason my music recording program (Guitar Tracks Pro 4.0) does NOT record any wah or pedal effects. You can hear them, but they will not record. Doesn't matter, since I have a real wah pedal. The point is, the Stealth Pedal is less expensive than some other interfaces, but for about $60 you can get the Stealth Plug by this company, which allows you to go from your guitar/amp/effects processor to the plug and into your computer.

From there, you still need some type of software that records the music. You then apply the effect (Amplitube amp simulators and effects pedals) real time or after the fact. You don't need low latency to apply an effect after the fact. You record your signal dry, and then apply. Doing it that way, however, can take time to tweak and find the tone you want, but you can get the job done.
@logicbdj
Thanks for the information, I prefer to record wet. I think I prefer the stealthplug because spending that much money on the stealthpedal to me is not a good idea because I won't be doing too much recording here.
digitech death metal
as eg10j 10watt amp