Could anybody please explain them to me ?
And if i buy an amp that has a 1*16 ohms and 2*8 ohms outputs then can I
plug it into a 2*12 cabinet that has 2*16 ohms or 1*8 ohms ?
Thanks !!
What's the amp? Kind of confusing that it has 1-16 and 2-8. The cab is probably 8 ohms in mono or 16 ohms in stereo. If your amp can handle an 8 ohm load then you're fine.
ohms are just a unit of measurement for impedance (ohm's law, anyone?)

you take one balanced speaker cable and connect it to (generally speaking) a matching impedance cab, ie. 16ohm speaker out to a 16ohm cab.

1x16 and 2x8ohm outs are normal. you only use more than one out if you're going to more than one cab.
so i plug 1*16 output to 2*16 and 2*8 output to 1*8 and thats how it works ?
Last edited by futurehope at Sep 19, 2010,
Quote by futurehope
so i plug output to1*16 to 2*16 and output to 2*8 to 1*8 and thats how it works ?

Only one cable per cab. Amp output 16 ohm to cab input 16 orm, or amp output 8 ohm into cab input 8 ohm.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
but whats the difference betwwwn 16 and 8 ? loudness or something ?
Wow do i know if I want to plug into 8 or into 16 ??
if you already have a cab, just match the impedance. if you don't get a 16ohm cab. the impedance will naturally attenuate some of the extreme lower frequencies, which is a good thing since that's your bassists territory anyway.

but if you've already got an 8ohm cab, it's not that big of a deal. given a choice I always go for the higher impedance.
The manual says it works with 8 or 16 ohm cabinets so you are good to go. Just plug your cab in as it's 8 ohms.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_impedance

http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/2x12wiring.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impedance_bridging

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impedance_matching

we will need more exact info for good advice. depends on how you connect the speakers, and how the output section is build. if it uses bridging it needs a minimal load, if it uses matching it needs a matched load.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Don't overthink this.

Ohms are a measure of resistance. But you don't have to know anything about what they are technically. This is very easy.

Whatever output you use, ensure that the impedance of the speaker cabinet (ohms) either matches it or is greater than the specified value. Never connect an output to a lower impedance value than specified.

4 ohm output connects to 4 ohm speaker cab. 8 ohm output connects to 8 ohm speaker cab. 16 ohm output connects to 16 ohm speaker cab. Simple as that. The speaker cab could have 4 speakers in it or only 1 (or any number for that matter). Doesn't matter. As long as the impedance matches that which is specified on the output of the amp, you're good to go.
You should do some reading on speaker wiring (series and parallel) to see how that effects the speaker/cab load.

Specific to your case, you can plug 1 16ohm cab into the 16 ohm output. You can plug 1 8ohm cab into ONE of the 8 Ohm outputs.

You can plug a 16ohm into one of the 8ohm output PLUS ANOTHER 16ohm cab into the other 8ohm output. <-- You MUST have 2 16's plugged if you use both the 8ohm outputs.

Internally the amp parallels the 2 16's making 8. Thus the 8ohm outputs are good for 1*8 or 2*16.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
^ You're going to confuse him. He wasn't even aware of what an ohm was, so going over series/parallel calculations is not really appropriate at this point. His best bet right now is to keep it simple.
Quote by CECamps
^ You're going to confuse him. He wasn't even aware of what an ohm was, so going over series/parallel calculations is not really appropriate at this point. His best bet right now is to keep it simple.

Actually his question in the subject was "what is an ohm", so I assume he wants to know something about it.

You may have a point, but I hoped to clarify what is on the back of his amp and what it means he can plug into it. It sure looks like a person could plug in 2 * 8 ohm cabs, but that is not the case.

It's just my opinion, but when one enters the world of tube amps and critical driver loads, then this information must be learned. Hopefully my statements, meant specifically for the JCA20, will be helpful and not confusing.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
Quote by futurehope
what are ohms ?

They're what come before "nom nom nom".
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.