I aquired a brand new 2010 American Fender Stratocaster Standard, and I've been looking to get rid of it to buy myself a shiny '65 Reissue Fender Twin Reverb. No such luck as of yet, and I've just been offered trades that hopefully would better my chances for one. But I recieved an email today from a guy looking to trade his '74 Twin Reverb, and to my knowlege, that would be a Silver Face. I'm looking for strictly an amp for cleans (letting my AC30 take care of my distortion) and I love the reissues but haven't played a Silver Face before, but will definitely be trying it before I trade. I'm planning on making an hour drive to go check it out in about an hour. Do you guys think this is a good deal? Anything I should be looking out for?

Thanks!

-Steven
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
keep the strat! its a hell of a guitar.. but as far as the trade, thats a pretty decent deal i dont know about a silverface but i know the blackfaces usually are upward of a grand on ebay. which is about the guitars value new. just make sure you check it thoroughly, tubes ect ect. try it out at different volumes to make sure you like it, ask about the bias, things of that nature. its a hell of an amp, and would be the perfect pairing with that strat, and a tubescreamer. good luck!
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
I've heard of some minor quality problems with the Reissues. Personally, I'd rather have that Silverface. As far as its value and whether or not to trade your new MIA strat I can't help.

On one front, you have an old amp and you don't know how badly it needs caps/pots/tubes etc. Use the 'Cool Look Up' link in my sig to get an idea on what they are selling for.

On the second front- it depends on what other guitars you have. You have plenty of Strats or whatever then do it up. If you have a $100 starter pack guitar then keep the MIA
^+1

i'd buy one of these over a 65 reissue

http://www.sligoamps.com/

also feel the MIA strat is way more desireable than a 65 reissue amp.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I have a '94 twin and honestly I don't like it THAT much... I haven't tried any silverface, but I know silverface fender amps aren't worth much on the used market usually, AFAIK a silverface twin would be ~500$ ?
the twin is a great amp, a bit sterile, but it's good. =)

(like my bassman better though hehe)
The main thing to look out for is condition. In my experience, Fender amps seem to take a hell of a beating over the years. I suppose too many people think that a beat-up Fender amp is the perfect compliment to a beat-up Fender guitar. You're talking about an amp that's 36 years old. It could be just this side of thrashed, or it could be in great shape. Make absolutely sure of the condition before you sign on the dotted line.

A Silver Face Twin Reverb would be a fine amp for clean tones. It would also weigh a ton and be ungodly loud. Of course, those are good things.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
^+1

i'd mainly take one because they are much easier to mod/fix with the turret board rather than a cramped PCB (not knocking PCB technology, just easier to fix).

i'd probably black line a silver face if it were me.

edit: and if TS is scared of going used, i can easily claim of hearing more deluxe reverb reissues blowing trannies and power tubes than i have ever heard of original SF/BF's doing so.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 19, 2010,
Thanks for all the replies, guys! I ended up not going through with the trade, and am 'borrowing' a '65 Reissue for the time being (heh!) I have a healthy collection of guitars for the time being, sadly no single coil's. I love Tele's, but have never been a fan of Strats. I did plug it in for 5 minutes, and it did sound/feel great though. Just not my thing! I would trade the Strat for a Tele but I need the funds for a used Twin Reverb. I'm weary about buying/using vintage gear like the '74 Twin because it's going to be used live, and I don't really want a $500 breakdown in the middle of tour, I'd rather it be under a 7 year warranty I can have fixed/replaced at any GC (as much as I hate that place) and be on my way. If it were going to sit in a studio it wouldn't be as big of a deal. If anybody is interested in the Strat, I'll give it to you for $924.99 + shipping! Here's the link http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=12457527&cat=64&lpid=&search=twin%20reverb
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Quote by FatalGear41
The main thing to look out for is condition. In my experience, Fender amps seem to take a hell of a beating over the years. I suppose too many people think that a beat-up Fender amp is the perfect compliment to a beat-up Fender guitar. You're talking about an amp that's 36 years old. It could be just this side of thrashed, or it could be in great shape. Make absolutely sure of the condition before you sign on the dotted line.

A Silver Face Twin Reverb would be a fine amp for clean tones. It would also weigh a ton and be ungodly loud. Of course, those are good things.

You're half right... The main thing to look for is service record. Mainly has it been recapped. That runs at least $100 and as much as $400 depending on what else needs to be done. Spending money to service an amp you just bought is no fun, take it froms someone who knows.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!