As title says...

they don't seem to be in the UK yet, but very interested in buying one...

i just don't want to spend my budget on a guitar what is 'alright' yes it looks amazing but do they play well?

I'm more tempted in the tele or jag....

thanks
Correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems that the blacktop series is just a strat/tele/jazzmaster ect with 2 humbuckers. So assuming you wanted a strat or tele couldnt you just by a normal one with pool routing and then purchase a H-H scratchplate?. That way you could Probably get it cheaper aswell as try it out.
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

Quote by ILuvPillows?
Correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems that the blacktop series is just a strat/tele/jazzmaster ect with 2 humbuckers. So assuming you wanted a strat or tele couldnt you just by a normal one with pool routing and then purchase a H-H scratchplate?. That way you could Probably get it cheaper aswell as try it out.

It wouldn't be cheaper. These retail cheaper than the Standard series, and you'd have to buy a seperate pickguard and two pickups. Even if you go used, you'll spend almost as much, if not more.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Also, the Jazzmaster has a P90 neck pickup. Not the easiest mod...
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden

Also, WHAT GAME WERE THE REFS WATCHING?

But in all seriousness someone needs to try one of these bad boys and tell us about it.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
I played the Blacktop Telecaster and Stratocaster yesterday in Guitar Center.

The fretboards are very, very fast by Fender standards. They could easily fool someone for ones that the Fender Corp saves for their Jacksons. The material was very smooth (I can't remember if it's ebony or a dark rosewood. It was very dark, hard, and smooth). The neck has some decent feel to it. The tele's was quite a bit better than the strat's, but with guitars at those costs, they're going to vary.

The pickups were okay, and nothing better. Fender's not terribly known for their Humbuckers afterall. I played them both through a Fender Blues Jr and a Fender Deluxe VM. The electronics, you could tell, were definitely of mexican quality. The hardware was alright.

They look a lot better in person than in pictures, which is the same for almost all guitars, but especially for these. The Strats look like metal machines, and the blacked-out telecaster just looked cool all around.

The materials, specs, and looks were there, but the soul wasn't, the strat moreso than the tele. I'd look around, though. Fender has a tendency to accidentally let an amazing MIM through every once in a while. Hell, I walked into GC yesterday with enough cash to buy a new MIA Standard Tele, and walked out with a used MIM because it was the best tele in the place.

If you can find a solid one, a nice set of JB's or a lil' 59 in the bridge would really set those guitars off with some gain. They're great guitars considering that they're the price of a new MIM Standard anyway. Great move on Fender's part.

EDIT: Also, there's no individual tone/volume controls for each pickup like an LP/SG style guitar, so no faux-killswitch.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by rooster456 at Sep 20, 2010,
^ Thanks Rooster, I was going to look at them because my friend was interested in them.

I'm under the impression that MIM Fenders are more hit than they are miss, would you say the Fender humbuckers are suited for classic rock or should they be swapped in the future?
I played a blacktop tele on saturday, and I agree with rooster for the most part.

@siverstorm- I agree with the idea that MIMs are more hit then miss, I've never played one I didn't like. I think the pickups are suited to blues/classic rock, the only thing I didn't like is on the tele the control panel is flipped around so the knobs are under your picking hand and the pickup switch is out of the way, but that's just a personal thing. And I also had a little trouble figuring out the 5-way switch on a two humbucker guitar, but it did give me some very versitle tone options.
Me and my girlfriend were in a guitar store one day.

My GF- What's the difference between Gibson and Epiphone?

Me- (Explains)

GF- So Epiphone is like Gibson's slutty little sister?

Me- I love you.
Played the Strat at GC today with a Vox AC15 for a little bit. My short overview- solid guitar. It holds its own against Epiphone LPs for the same price that I also played during my visit. Didn't go out of tune when I used the trem, and the rest of the hardware wasn't too shabby either. I was pleasantly surprised by the 5-way switch, I was expected the typical 3-way shindig. No one in GC seemed to know what the wiring was exactly, but based on the sounds I was getting, I'm going to guess that it went like bridge/bridge-neck/???/coiltappedbridge-neck/neck. I didn't really like the neck humbucker tone but the other tones were fine. The bridge HB was a nice surprise, I've never liked any Fender humbucker guitar except for higher-end Jags, but this one was good. Position 4 on the switch was very Mustang-remniscient actually. Overall, I liked it. Worth $450? Absolutely.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden