I want to be playing Melodeath like In Flames and the like. I need help choosing over these. I know that At The Gates used the HM-2, but that's all I know. I've looked all over the internet and found nothing about In Flames and Dark Tranquillity's gear during their early years besides that they used Peavey 5150s and the like.
Ibanez RG350MDX
Line 6 Spider
uh... confusion over exactly what it is youre asking here? are you looking for the gear these bands use, their settings to try to capture their tone, or for people to suggest equipment that might help you get your 'melodeath' tone?

and if youre looking to replicate an artists tone, why would you want to? whats wrong with sounding like you? nobodys ever going to sound the SAME anyway no matter how close you might get because of all the little intricacies associated with playing guitar... its a losing battle dude, find YOUR tone.
For my experience with melodic death metal, I'd recommend:
Peavey 5150/6505/6505+/etc. etc.
Peavey JSX or XXX
Engl Fireball
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
and Darkest Hour uses the Randall RM Module amps, but I have no idea what modules they have in them.

As for guitars, if you're playing a lot of chunky rhythms, gothenburg riffs, and cleans, I'd go with a solid body guitar with a pickup set comparable to a SD JB/Jazz. Something like an ESP EC1000 or Gibson Les Paul with burstbuckers. If it's more thrashy stuff with lots of solos, I'd go Ibanez RG Prestige or Washburn HM's higher end series of guitars.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Last edited by Unskathed at Sep 19, 2010,
Quote by Zeppelin Addict
uh... confusion over exactly what it is youre asking here? are you looking for the gear these bands use, their settings to try to capture their tone, or for people to suggest equipment that might help you get your 'melodeath' tone?

and if youre looking to replicate an artists tone, why would you want to? whats wrong with sounding like you? nobodys ever going to sound the SAME anyway no matter how close you might get because of all the little intricacies associated with playing guitar... its a losing battle dude, find YOUR tone.

The latter. I desperately need new equipment seeing as how my Line 6 sounds like shit.
Ibanez RG350MDX
Line 6 Spider
Quote by Zeppelin Addict

Everytime I mess with tone settings I end up sounding like shit, This is probably because I'm using a Spider 4.
Ibanez RG350MDX
Line 6 Spider
Quote by Unskathed
For my experience with melodic death metal, I'd recommend:
Peavey 5150/6505/6505+/etc. etc.
Peavey JSX or XXX
Engl Fireball
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
and Darkest Hour uses the Randall RM Module amps, but I have no idea what modules they have in them.

As for guitars, if you're playing a lot of chunky rhythms, gothenburg riffs, and cleans, I'd go with a solid body guitar with a pickup set comparable to a SD JB/Jazz. Something like an ESP EC1000 or Gibson Les Paul with burstbuckers. If it's more thrashy stuff with lots of solos, I'd go Ibanez RG Prestige or Washburn HM's higher end series of guitars.

This.

Also, the Mesa Mark V and the Splawn Nitro would work as well.