So I ordered a guitar from the local music store a while ago, and they said that they have none in stock so they'll have to order more from Ibanez. The guitar is also apparently on backorder, if that makes any difference.

Anyways, it's been almost 3 months. At first I thought it was themusic store's fault, but I've been told that they can't do anything until Ibanez sends the guitars.

Do you guys think this is the case? Does Ibanez really take this long to send orders out to music stores?
It's the store. They can make orders whenever they wish, they just don't want to spend the money on shipping when they're not bringing in a huge order.

Generally when a store says something is on back-order, be prepared to wait a while.
^ it`s not so much the store but the distributors, they have to buy from ibanez if the distributor isn`t getting orders from all the stores to fill a shipping container they aren`t going to ship it from Japan/Korea/Indonesia given the current economic situation alot of stores in my area are on a buying ban and need to get rid of existing stock before they can order new stock, what model did you order and why did you not look for a store that had it in stock......
^I live in Canada, and the only store I can find which offered a decent price was Long and Mcquade. I ordered an Ibanez s570b in white. Judging by what Yhdeksas said though, I'm certain the store just doesn't care about my order because I was at the store yesterday and saw a new Ibanez on display, which was a similar model to the one I ordered (the one with the poplar top).

If I ordered from the store's website, and paid for the shipping myself, will it come within a reasonable time? I just noticed they're offereing free shipping now.
it`s still going to get to you via the store and not the distributor, have you put any sort of deposit down on the guitar? if so they are obliged to order the guitar for you....i`d keep mithering them weekly `til they get it, you normally pay the remainder on delivery.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
^ it`s not so much the store but the distributors, they have to buy from ibanez if the distributor isn`t getting orders from all the stores to fill a shipping container they aren`t going to ship it from Japan/Korea/Indonesia given the current economic situation alot of stores in my area are on a buying ban and need to get rid of existing stock before they can order new stock, what model did you order and why did you not look for a store that had it in stock......

This ^ It comes from the distributors, and when the container is full then they ship it and not before. The stores don´t order from Ibanez, the distributors tell the stores whats new and whats available so they can place their orders.
Stores order their stocks months in advance before they actually get it. There's almost always a back log. The consumer just usually doesn't feel it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Long and Mcquade's distributer is Yorkville. They're usually pretty good with putting in orders. A friend of mine use to work for them and he told me that they always put in the request for the guitar but until the company actually sends it and they have enough supply to send to a certain area they'll hold it. Sometimes they could send it on its own but you would have to wait a while before they're consider it.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Well, I guess they do. Because guitar factories are usually located in China, they have to ship them a long way and unfortunately my friend, this takes a long time.

But I agree, this is kind of ridiculous. Go to the store and start complaining.

ron666
anything on backorder your going to have to wait forever for. but you can always ask where your guitar is and keep pressure on them. if you bug them enough for it they may put your guitar on priority, but probably not.
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.