Page 1 of 4
About why gear costs so much.

I've been looking at a Mesa Mark III for a while now, and it costs $600. My mom thinks this is an insane amount for "something older than you are" and "something you only use for an hour or two per day". I tried to come back with an argument, but she just didn't get it.

Who else here has had to explain their purchases to parents who don't get it? What arguments have you used to rationalize your decision?
My mum couldn't understand why i needed to buy my Peavey.

"They told me your other one (MG) was the best in the shop" she said.

"Yeah well, they lied."

"Just drop it. Why don't you buy something useful like pens"

I was INCREDIBLY pissed that day.
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
Quote by phlip999

I've been looking at a Mesa Mark III for a while now, and it costs $600. My mom thinks this is an insane amount for "something older than you are" and "something you only use for an hour or two per day". I tried to come back with an argument, but she just didn't get it.

Who else here has had to explain their purchases to parents who don't get it? What arguments have you used to rationalize your decision?

My parents bought me a MG Half Stack for XMAS a long while back.

Boy I had trouble talking my way out of selling that less than a year later, then buying a JCM 900 for more than it was worth.

Seriously though, just her your passion for music and work hard to try to finance your gear on your own too. It's kind of a responsibility sort of thing.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Every amp has a different sound. Same with guitars. The key issue is quality; face it, you will not get the same sound from a Line 6 that you can with a Mesa, it's just a difference in quality. Plus, it's your money and your life, so why should your mom care? Honestly, when I told my parents I wanted to upgrade my gear, they told me "Fine, but we're not paying a dime, you pay for it yourself". Keep in mind, this was a year after they bought me a Line 6, and two years after I began playing guitar. They were confused why I wasn't happy with my Spider III but they understood the concept of quality. However, I was on my own to pay for it. So I worked as a lifeguard over the summer, and now I'm the proud owner of a Mesa Rectoverb. Simply put, every amp sounds different, and a Mesa/Boogie is an amp used by MANY respected musicians, and is a vital piece to the sound.
Also, the way amps and guitars work, they age like fine wine, so older can mean better (though not always). They don't age like computers, where you have to constantly upgrade and buy a new one every couple of years.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Last edited by EvilAngel93 at Sep 19, 2010,
My mother is extremely supportive of my hobby financially, but has no desire to actually hear me and she tends to use it as a threat against me sometimes.

october is right around the corner, and so is my first paycheck.

I can't wait to fund my own gear.
Digital Distribution sucks.
do you play sports or any other kind of extra activity that costs money? that's how i always explained it to my rents.

Look at it this way: registration for a sport like Hockey usually starts at $300, almost always much more, depending on the league. on top of that, you have travel costs, equipment isn't cheap and any extra costs that may come up (new sticks, blade sharpening, etc). by the end of the season, you could've easily spent over $1000. repeat that over five or six years, with prices for regitration goin up every time you get older, and it REALLY starts to add up.

Now, lets look at amps: a one time cost that, if well kept, can last a life time with maybe $100 in extra costs every couple of years (tubes, mostly).

So, in summary:
sports cost a ****load more than guitar. this excuse works really well if one of your siblings/cousins play a sport.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
My mom thinks I need to become a pro before I get more gear. (not really but u get the idea)

I'm probably gonna get a new amp soon but the music stores near me never have one I like.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Explain that it's like cars. Surely she'd rather you drive a BMW M series than a Toyota Corolla?

Also, lol @ her if she thinks $600 is much. I'd have you explain that the Mark III is a professional-level amp. Show her the Mark V's price and maybe she'll understand.

Fun toys cost money.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Sep 19, 2010,
That's fine, sometimes people agree with your selections of gear.

Then you take them out of the office and him them with a stick awhile, they'll do.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
your parents probably have a car... they use it for an about 1-4h/day to get to work and leave it standing on the street or a garage most of the time. they cost a lot.

your amp/guitar probably have the same amount of "usetime" to a cheaper price?^^
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Quote by backtothe70s
your parents probably have a car... they use it for an about 1-4h/day to get to work and leave it standing on the street or a garage most of the time. they cost a lot.

your amp/guitar probably have the same amount of "usetime" to a cheaper price?^^

Yeah, but those are necessary. Gear isn't
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by backtothe70s

I use the car analogy all the time, and every time I use it she comes back with the same thing, "Well, a car is actually useful. An amp just makes noise."

I save my money for months, I have a job now, I'm ALMOST at the $600 mark, and then she starts with this stuff.
my parents, are the same way, they expect me to be a professional before they can actually justify buying me the gear i want, and i end up settling for less because of it. so most of the time, i have to save up for gear..which takes a while sometimes since the money i made from my summer job also went to gas and clothes and stuff. parents just dont understand dude.
depends on how you put it. the car probably makes her life easier and she is happy to be able to go places yes.

It's the same for me. Gear brings me joy in a way and thereby makes my life easier =)
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Show her the amp rooms in TGP. Thatll keep her quiet.

Or better just explain to her you've been working your ass off to save for this, if it wasnt that important to you would she think you'd have tried so hard? It's your money, you arent stupid, if you can justify it yourself, then she cant really argue because at the end of the day mums dont understand gear.

My mum once told me to pick my pedals up off the floor because "They arent made to be stood on"

At least you're spending this money on something more permanent than weed and doritoes.
Quote by phlip999
I use the car analogy all the time, and every time I use it she comes back with the same thing, "Well, a car is actually useful. An amp just makes noise."

I save my money for months, I have a job now, I'm ALMOST at the $600 mark, and then she starts with this stuff.

Tell her it's your money and you'll do whatever you want with it, otherwise you might have to exercise your pimp hand on her.

Keep yo' pimp hand strong, dawg.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by phlip999
An amp can be used to musically express yourself.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?? What the hell did you think she was going to say? "No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone??!?"
Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?? What the hell did you think she was going to say? "No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone??!?"

Imagine your mom crying herself to sleep...

*sniff* *sniff*
"I thought my baby would grow up to use Splawn Nitros!!!11!!1"
*uncontrollable sobbing*
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by a7xplayer
I cant really relate cause my parents would rather have me spending money on gear then anything else, but the other suggestions are good, just say that you saved for a long time and you showed dedication to saving and you deserve it.

This gives me an idea...

TS, tell your mom that you found a great deal on some cocaine. maybe she'll rethink the $600 Mesa.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 19, 2010,
Quote by BobDetroit

Actually, it all started when she saw me stuffing money in my pillowcase. I tried telling her that Mesa was "top of the line" stuff, but she still thinks that my Bugera V5 ( ) is good enough, and is "just a speaker, it's not like it'll sound all that different".
Quote by phlip999

looks like you just need to get old enough where you can ignore your mom. my mom never knew how much i spent on gear (even though it wasn't much), later when i had money available (to pay for BOTH gear AND rent/expenses/loans) i started getting some extra/better gear.

the thing i love is, you guys feel entitled to spend any money you earn on whatever you want whilst allowing your parents to pay for everything that facilitates your life. so from your parents view point i would see them not agreeing with dumping on your money on something you may not be able to get the value back out of.

you really want to convince your mom? prove you're being responsible about it. show her how you can save up money while allocating a certain amount of your earnings into a fund to finance the amplifier, with a time frame in which you wish to achieve your goal. if you approach it this way she will have a much harder time denying you. some parents are even so impressed as to maybe match what you put into the fund to reinforce such ideas.

so solving this problem you have will require you to appreciate the views of your parents and appease them by showing you know how to responsibly spend. when they see you wanting to dump all your money on an amp, they wonder how long it'll take to get you financially responsible enough to be independent [enough to get you out the house so they can copulate, travel and vacation like they used to before you were around].
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
If you still rely on your parents to pay for your amps you don’t need a Mesa. And you definitely don’t need an old used Mark III that will cost a lot to fix if something breaks.

Do yourself a favor; focus on school, go to college, get a good job, and buy yourself all the toys you want when you’re older, have your own house, can play in bars, and will generally be able to enjoy it more. In the meanwhile, stop whining and enjoy living in an era when a $99 modeling amp can do more than every single amp and effect that was available in most stores fifteen years ago. When my dad bought my first amp I got a used forty-watt solid state amp from a pawn shop that sounded like shit and eventually wore out its own speaker despite the volume ever going past the halfway mark.
Quote by beckyjc
At least you're spending this money on something more permanent than weed and doritoes.

Is that why you can't buy the DK2?

Seriously, even at my age, my parents get at me for these things. Usually it's not such a big deal, but they've been getting at me a lot more recently and I'm not sure why. Or am I? I guess they're right with some of the things they say, but at the end of the day, I spend my money on gear but have stuff to show for it. My brother spends his money on crap, has very little to show for it and generally gets away with it.

I pretty much agree with what Becky said, if you explain it like that there is no real logical reason for her not to accept that explanations. Of course, I know all too well that that doesn't usually stop mothers
If you're saving allowance... mom and dad should be able to tell you what you can and can't do with it. If you're working and saving.. well that's a completely different thing. My parents aren't like that at all though, haha. One of the perks of having musically-minded parents I guess.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Threads like this are why I'm glad my dad plays too.

"Hey, kid, one of the guys at work is trying to get rid of his wah pedal - $50."
"Nah, I was gonna spend the $50 on [speakers/strings/shirts/etc.]"
The next day he brings the wah home anyway and plays around with it for an hour - my dad is great.
My dad questions my purchase of new valves. "What's wrong with the old ones? They're still working!" Yes, but they're 18 freaking years old!
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Last edited by AtaBorMan at Sep 19, 2010,
Quote by jpnyc
If you still rely on your parents to pay for your amps you don’t need a Mesa. And you definitely don’t need an old used Mark III that will cost a lot to fix if something breaks.

I'm the one paying for it, not her. I did odd jobs around town before I got my job, now I have a more steady source of income.

Quote by gumbilicious
*stuff*

I've been saving in a college fund for years now, have gotten financial aid and I am preparing to get a student loan before I get to a major college. I'm extremely responsible with my money, and have already told my mom that I will be putting aside some of the money I earn each week to help pay bills and my car insurance.

Believe me, responsibility and maturity are not factors in the argument. In fact, I have no idea why my mom and I were talking about that amp in the first place.
I'm the one paying for it, not her.

In that case, lay out some of the smart arguments above. You’re not burning your cash on Doritos and weed, and you’re being thrifty by getting something used instead of buying a Mark V. Maybe even point out that playing loud gigs might earn some tuition money (it won’t but she probably doesn’t know that).

But if you do plan on going away to college, make sure you have something to play when you’re living in a small room with a couple other guys, or you’ll be making one of those “have to sell my Mesa and get something quiet…” threads
well thats why I bought my 6260 with my own cash. but, had i not also been paying my insurance for a few months, payed for all my cars maintenance, and in general shown i was responsible with my finances, my Ma probably wouldn't have let me spend it in such a way. My dad was still questionable, as a mod had been performed and he thought that it was weird that the previous did that and thought it sketchy, but because I had shown that I could manage money, he trusted me. Now, not only have I also bought a new car, but I just recently got in an accident,( hints sig). Im only new driver age, but my parents have trust in me. what im getting at is, it isnt just enough to show that you can get the money. as others have said, you have to show how responsible you are. k Im done
Edit: sorry just saw your post haha, in that case idk sounds like your mother is being a tad unreasonable.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Last edited by dementiacaptain at Sep 19, 2010,
I was at musiciansfriend, and I came there to buy a doublekick pedal for my drumset. I was almost at the cashier when my Mom came up behind me and said, "Tyrone, You're a guitarist. Buy some guitar gear".
Another time, I was at XS Cargo, and I was going to buy a computer chair(Mine squeeks and moans. Kinda like there's 2 miniature people ****ing under me all the time). My mom stopped me from buying it, and said, "Son, look over there. There's a guitar. Buy it." I explained it was a POS First act starter, and proposed wo go to World of Music, where I bought a couple of patch cables and a pedal.
My mom is awesome 'cause of that. That was my first years of guitar playing, and I hadn't realized the value of good gear then.
Now, all my money goes towards gear.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by phlip999

An amp can get you a career. A car just takes you from place to place.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Even if you're buying the amp, they are still buying your food/rent/whatever so if they weren't around you wouldn't be able to afford the Mesa anyway because that $600 would cover maybe a month of rent if you're lucky. So I can see where they're coming from. But I have a feeling if you keep showing responsibility she will probably give in eventually.
Quote by phlip999
I'm the one paying for it, not her. I did odd jobs around town before I got my job, now I have a more steady source of income.

I've been saving in a college fund for years now, have gotten financial aid and I am preparing to get a student loan before I get to a major college. I'm extremely responsible with my money, and have already told my mom that I will be putting aside some of the money I earn each week to help pay bills and my car insurance.

Believe me, responsibility and maturity are not factors in the argument. In fact, I have no idea why my mom and I were talking about that amp in the first place.

Idk..I've been playing guitar for a long time 8 yearsish I suppose.

I bought my first guitar at walmart, with my own money. like $100 first act.
4 weeks later I bought a first act amplifier.

dad payed for lessons.
parents got me my first real guitar & amp. Fender strat and line 6 spider II 150w (idc what you guys say that thing is NOT a BAD amp, not the best by far but not the worst either, I actually still use it for practice.)
couple years later they got me a Dean Razorback V.
This year dad bought me my first tube amp, which was a dud, but I have a new one coming in.

Other than those^
I've bought with my own money:
an acoustic
a 7 string
an LTD M-II (verrrryyyy old)
an Ibanez RGT6EXFX
and a Ibanez ART2EX1.

If I save up my money and don't have anything else to spend it on, why shouldn't I spend on guitars and gear?
I mean, in the next couple weeks I'll probably spend at least $200 on effect pedals alone for my new bands rig. and Ill be chipping in for a PA system.

I'm 17 now but I spend the money I get from working at a fast food place on guitars and gear. What else would I buy, drugs? nah thanks.
Seriously, your work, your money, your decision.
Quote by phlip999

sounds about right. young kid says "i am responsible, that is why my mom has to intercede in my financial decisions"

if you really were 'responsible' for your life, you'd be paying for everything and not have to listen to your parents about how to spend your money.

but you're right. i am on a high horse, and you're not living in denial.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by stykerwolf
600 for a mark 3 is good no?

Really good. I haven't found one under $800. That's why I'm fighting for this.

Also, she just came up with another reason. I just got kicked out of a band I was in (creative differences ), so she thinks that me having a "band amp" is worthless (I used my bassist's Spider III 120 watt ). I swear, whenever I shoot one argument down, she comes up with two more.
Quote by Denthúl
Is that why you can't buy the DK2?

I dont buy weed any more. Just bum off friends.

Im too busy paying transport costs to college

^^If you live with your parents, theyre going to intervene on any decision you ever make, you cant call him irresponsible if it's his mums issue on what he spends his own money on, she's just trying to help him manage his money wisely, thats what parents do; intervene, make no sense and give advice, you cant expect a kid to be entirely independant, work full time to pay off his own place, do housework and go to college.

Part of maturity is learning to respectfully disagree and debate with your parents.

^Ask her what exactly she thinks you should spend this money on.
Kids my age tend to have spent more money than that on games consoles, games, TV's, other mind numbing shit, rather than it going towards a creative outlet.
Last edited by beckyjc at Sep 19, 2010,
Page 1 of 4