Hi,

I just picked this guitar up today, and it's an Eko (Italian made) from sometime around the 60's or 70's, I'm not quite sure.

But about the pickup, it's actually a really awesome pickup; it's really hot and has very nice cleans as well, but I'm not really sure if it is a single coil or humbucker? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
███████████████████████████████████
Last edited by tona_107 at Sep 19, 2010,
Quote by Suttam
Replace it with an EMG and rip death metal on it

What a constructive comment.
Anyone else?
Quote by tona_107
What a constructive comment.

better than yours

TS, with allot of the old 50's/60's/70's cheapo guitars, pickups were made in all sorts of shapes and sizes. quite a few, imo, blur th lines beetween single coil/humbucker/p90. I'm sure there are some more techical aspects to look at, but if there are two coils out of phase with each other to cancel hum, it's a humbucker.

Your pickup reminds me of the old neck humbuckers from the P90 LP Customs. maybe it's a similar design, i don''t know. just throwing ideas into the stew.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Looks like a single coil.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Jhachey22
better than yours

TS, with allot of the old 50's/60's/70's cheapo guitars, pickups were made in all sorts of shapes and sizes. quite a few, imo, blur th lines beetween single coil/humbucker/p90. I'm sure there are some more techical aspects to look at, but if there are two coils out of phase with each other to cancel hum, it's a humbucker.

Your pickup reminds me of the old neck humbuckers from the P90 LP Customs. maybe it's a similar design, i don''t know. just throwing ideas into the stew.

If my guitar heard you call it a cheapo I'm sure you would hurt its feelings... You should be more sensitive.

Haha but on a serious note, no it's definitely not a Gibson, but it plays really nice, has a cool/unique sound, is quite versatile, and although it's not a top of the line guitar I am happy with it.

Quote by Raijouta
Looks like a single coil.

I know it looks like a single coil, I didn't even think twice about it until my friend asked me what kind of pickup it was. The extra magnets make me think it's not exactly a single coil.

In an ad I just found for the guitar they described it having a "built-in double polarity magnetic pick-up". That sounds like a humbucker to me?

Here's the ad:

The only thing is the pickup they show in the ad is not the same as in my guitar... So who knows haha.
Quote by tona_107

I know it looks like a single coil, I didn't even think twice about it until my friend asked me what kind of pickup it was. The extra magnets make me think it's not exactly a single coil.

In an ad I just found for the guitar they described it having a "built-in double polarity magnetic pick-up". That sounds like a humbucker to me?

If it hums, it probably isn't a humbucker.

It's got one row of polepieces down the middle, which implies that the coil goes around them. There's no space in there for two coils, unless it's stacked (highly unlikely).
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
But he is the Thread Starter

hmmmm... I may haver missed that crucial detail.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Haha. I got a warning for that "EMG" comment. I mean, come on. What's up with the admins today?
Quote by Suttam
Replace it with an EMG and rip death metal on it

THIS
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by Suttam
Haha. I got a warning for that "EMG" comment. I mean, come on. What's up with the admins today?

This isn't the Pit. You are supposed to contribute constructively to the conversation in real forums like GG&A. If you want to spam you're welcome to go the Pit.

311: I'm going to pull the pickup out tonight or tomorrow night.
Thanks.
Last edited by tona_107 at Sep 20, 2010,
hum cancelling single coil?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb