Page 1 of 2
I'm looking to get a Tight , saturated and clear lead tone like JB's from ABR. I'd like to get identical as I can without spending a lot.

I currently have a Schecter Omen Extreme with EMG 81/85 pickup configuration. I use a Digitech RP-90 through my Acoustic B200 bass amp with the horn on. It doesnt sound too bad for jamming but when cranked the higher frequencies really stand out and are unpleasant. The distortion isn't tight at all, and the compression on the Rp-90 can only do so much for what I need, And come on, it's a bass amp. I need a new guitar amp rig and here's what I was thinking about, all will most likely be bought used:

-Peavey Valveking 112 or B-52 AT-112

-Boss RV-5 or Boss DD-7 or Both
(Whichever is more crucial to tone)

-Boss NS-2 or CS-3 or Both
(Whichever is more crucial to tone)

-Maxon OD9 (if needed)

Please UG, let me know what you think!
Guitar tone: Peavey 5150 (please spend the money for a retubing), Ibanez Tube Screamer, Oversized Mesa Recto Straight cab, and some extreme noise suppression/gate such as an ISP Decimator (Optional: External EQ). Basic formula for the modern tight metal tone.
Definitely the NS-2 over the CS-3
Quote by Demonikk
Disco break!

Quote by Julz127
Make sure you put me in your citations at the end. Or at least in your sig.
Budget?
New/used?

They use 6505s (the 112 combos go for $600 new), so that alone should get you pretty close to their sound. Wouldn't hurt to throw the Maxon OD in front too- a lot of bands that use high gain amps do.
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Peavey Valveking 112 or B-52 AT-112

Neither. I'm fairly certain ABR uses a 6505 or 5150, and for $100 or so more, you could get a 112 used. Saving up your money would be worth it for sure.

Boss RV-5 or Boss DD-7 or Both

DD-7 for sure. Reverb isn't very important in post-hardcore/metalcore.

Boss NS-2 or CS-3 or Both

NS-2 is more crucial, but the ISP Decimator is a better suppressor. It's more expensive, but try it out before you buy an NS-2.

Maxon OD9 (if needed)

That would be a good OD for the amps you're looking at, but I'm a fan of the TS-9 over it.
Gear:
Guitars: ESP/LTD EC-400, Ibanez GRX20, Washburn D-10 M/TWR
Amp: Peavey Vypyr 75
Pedals: Digitech Whammy, Boss DS-1, Boss CH-1, Sanpera I

YDG!?
Last edited by YDG? at Sep 19, 2010,
I don't how easy used metal amps are to come by where you live, but if you can, please do make sure to get your hands on a used Peavey 5150/6505. Valvekings are horrible and should be avoided.

If you don't have acces to a proper used amp, I'd recommend a Bugera. They have awesome tone and cost about the same as a Valveking if I am not wrong. You've probably heard about the reliability issues, but they are way overblown, it was only the first couple of runs (as with all other amp brands) that had an issue, which has now been fixed. the people still trashtalking them are the stuck-up gear snobs fighting to believe that their horribly expensive amp is actually worth the money :p
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Well, I wouldn't say budget. It really depends. Im saving atm and I'm going to see how much I have after the Holidays and my birthday which are a month from eachother. I plan on getting a job after my birthday in January. I play bass in my band but I play guitar recreationally. The 6505+ was something I was considering but its just the fact that it's a 112 and I could gett a used vk 212 with 100watts for cheaper and boost it with an OD. Just for my age and for how long this rig is going to last me, I'd rather have the 212 for volume and power. I'm still so unsure I know for a fact that head and cabs are out of the question for me. If you all think I should absolutley unquestionably get the 6505+ combo then allright. I have played both the 6505+ and the VK by the way.
Last edited by ExhaledFate at Sep 19, 2010,
6505+ 112 > VK 212. One extra POS speaker isn't going to make much of a difference and the volume difference between 60 watts in the 6505 and 100 watts in the VK is negligible.
Quote by drewfromutah
6505+ 112 > VK 212. One extra POS speaker isn't going to make much of a difference and the volume difference between 60 watts in the 6505 and 100 watts in the VK is negligible.

QFT (quoted for truth)
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Quote by rocknrolldude43
Budget?
New/used?

They use 6505s (the 112 combos go for $600 new), so that alone should get you pretty close to their sound. Wouldn't hurt to throw the Maxon OD in front too- a lot of bands that use high gain amps do.

Yes but with the money I'm already paying for the amp, is the OD necessary? Why do Metalcore bands use ODs anyways? I never understood that. Because the amps they use usually have a prepetual amount of gain on tap to begin with!
Quote by ExhaledFate
Yes but with the money I'm already paying for the amp, is the OD necessary? Why do Metalcore bands use ODs anyways? I never understood that. Because the amps they use usually have a prepetual amount of gain on tap to begin with!

It's not about adding gain...its about tightening up the sound
Quote by eyebanez333
It's not about adding gain...its about tightening up the sound

Please please explain?
Quote by ExhaledFate
Please please explain?

An OD (level dimed, gain 0) on an already distorted channel isn't going to make it 'distort' any more than it is really (the gain is at 0)...its just going to tighten up the sound. Especially the lows and lower mids...which is ideal for the style of music you're looking to play...and why you will find a OD pedal on every metalcore bands' pedalboard.
Quote by ExhaledFate
I guess that makes sense. The definition of "Tight" still gets me though...

brent uses a VHT and JB uses a 5150. Do with that info what you will.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Allright thanks guys, now what about this? Delay or Reverb here? Can't tell...

Quote by ExhaledFate
Oh and for the delay and reverb, I do indeed know what the difference is ha, but im not quite sure what going on in this video of Meddler by ABR, but here it is at 1:09ish again at 1:55-2:55(the tone here just blows my mind). Sounds like reverb, but what do I know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GALmUe-jPHo&ob=av3e

Please help!
Quote by ExhaledFate
I guess that makes sense. The definition of "Tight" still gets me though...

The guitar sounds neat, tidy, rather than sloppy and all over the place.
My internet connection sucks, so I didn't watch the video, but I will explain the difference (as best I can):

Delay makes a more up-front echo and usually sounds thinner, like a sound bouncing off one wall.

Reverb is a more subtle echo, but sounds fuller, like a sound bouncing off multiple walls.

I don't know how to explain it better than that, but if you listen to demos on YouTube, you should get a better idea of what I mean.

Edit: Also, to what you were saying earlier, the 6505 (or 5150) with one speaker will do much better than the VK with two. The tone is just better, and volume will not be an issue with it, I can guarantee. That thing gets LOUD. Unless you're playing a large outdoors festival or a stadium, it'll be plenty.
Gear:
Guitars: ESP/LTD EC-400, Ibanez GRX20, Washburn D-10 M/TWR
Amp: Peavey Vypyr 75
Pedals: Digitech Whammy, Boss DS-1, Boss CH-1, Sanpera I

YDG!?
Last edited by YDG? at Sep 19, 2010,
That sounds like delay. Reverb is more like the sound of room echo and is more washed out because the repeats are more mashed together to make that sound. To get the length of ambient sound on the notes with reverb would make a very washy tone indeed. Typically, metal/core will utilize delay for that subtle echo. Also, I would look into the 6505+ combo. I played it recently and the tone would pretty much match your wants as I jammed out on stuff like All That Remains, Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, Bullet For My Valentine, and even Snake Devil by Scary Kids Scaring Kids (different genre, but what the heck). The amp is tight on it's own, but an OD would definitely tighten it up more. Basically, tight sounds more articulate and clear in the lows. You can palm mute and get a nice and percussive sound, rather than this mushy ringing sound. Loose will have that mushy palm mute sound and be very muddy for fast playing and riffing ala ABR.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Last edited by sg4ever at Sep 20, 2010,
just wrote a looong message that crashed on me. but oh well.

tight means .. clear and articulate. opposite of muddy. try comparing a VHT Deliverance to a Marshall MG. thats the difference between muddy and tight.

also, the tubescreamer (overdrive) thing is that it boosts the signal level of your guitar, thus driving the amp "harder" this increases gain a lot, so just turn down the gain on your amp accordingly and prepare to be blown away by sheer awesomeness.

hope that helped.
Alright, thanks everyone. I've decided to save for a USED 6505+ Combo, and most likely a used Boss DD-7, used Boss NS-2, and maybe a Maxon OD. I need a DC Brick too most likely. Eventually I'll get more pedals, but this is all for now. Eventually I'll get a Compressor and a Graphic Equalizer. A Chorus too!
Quote by ExhaledFate
Alright, thanks everyone. I've decided to save for a USED 6505+ Combo, and most likely a used Boss DD-7, used Boss NS-2, and maybe a Maxon OD. I need a DC Brick too most likely. Eventually I'll get more pedals, but this is all for now. Eventually I'll get a Compressor and a Graphic Equalizer. A Chorus too!

You could save a few bucks and get a one spot instead of a DC brick But the 6505+ combo sounds like a winner.
No dual rec mentions?
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by adj209
No dual rec mentions?

Well....the guitarist whose tone he is after uses a 5150...so no, no dual rec mentions.
Quote by eyebanez333
Well....the guitarist whose tone he is after uses a 5150...so no, no dual rec mentions.

Hmm, then again despite being more expensive. I find them creamier and tighter.

On that topic, how about engl for their Tight, dry tones as well?
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by adj209

On that topic, how about engl for their Tight, dry tones as well?

TS said he's going to save for a 6505+...and that should get VERY close to the tone he's after. An ENGL is going to be quite a bit more than a 6505+...
If you want to nail the ABR tone get get a 5150/6505, Maxon OD808 and a 4x12 mesa cab. That's you sorted.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Adam124
If you want to nail the ABR tone get get a 5150/6505, Maxon OD808 and a 4x12 mesa cab. That's you sorted.

If I wasn't 15 with no job, and under my parents roof, I wouldn't think twice about that. That's my exact ideal metalcore rig. EXACT
Quote by ExhaledFate
If I wasn't 15 with no job, and under my parents roof, I wouldn't think twice about that. That's my exact ideal metalcore rig. EXACT

The fact that I have all of this makes me smile.
Schecter Hellraiser EMG 81/89
Agile Septor Elite 725 EMG 707's
Peavey 6505+
Mesa recto 4x12 cab
Boss NS-2, Ibanez TS-9
If you want the tone from the album Constellations, it's almost 100% a 5150 block letter. That is Jason Suecof's go-to amp in pretty much every studio diary I've ever watched of his.

As for their live tone, I know they've used VHT Deliverances, 5150s, and Framus Cobras in their career.

So a 6505 combo should get you close. Retube and speaker swap should get you basically there.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Anyone have any suggestions for tubes to use in a 5150/6505 for this sound? I'm planning on picking one up soon and might need to replace the tubes, but I know nothing about them...
You will bow at my feet or I'll rip out your knees

and make of your face all the carnage you crave
Quote by 6StringSlaughtr
Anyone have any suggestions for tubes to use in a 5150/6505 for this sound? I'm planning on picking one up soon and might need to replace the tubes, but I know nothing about them...

Yes please. I'd also like to know.
Guys I found the site by JB with the tab for every song by him and in the Meddler Tab he does indeed say if I can remember this correctly, "imagine the neck humbucker with loads of reverb and some tasty delay." So I guess I was confused because he does indeed use both in those parts of the song that I previously inquired about...
Last edited by ExhaledFate at Sep 22, 2010,
I'd also like to thank everyone for their suggestions and help. I don't know what I would do without you UG! I can't believe I've been reading threads for about a year and never made a profile until recently!
Page 1 of 2