Howdy all.

I have had this great idea floating around in my head (Thank you Appetite For Destruction). This Idea is a amp, Marshall style, but made to really really bust balls. I found a company called triode electronics. They sell kits for making or redoing Marshall amps. Well what I want to do, is going to be interesting. I plan on buying a Bugera 1960 120W amp head. (I like the way it looks and such) Anyways last night as I layed in bed thinking about my LP custom build and listening to AFD, it hit me. If I get that amp, and the buy that kit I could do something really neat. Now to figure out if it is possible. I noticed alot of the 'High End' Boutique amps sometimes have a blend knob. Where you can blend EL34 and 6V6. Well thats kind of my idea. I want to make a amp that would have 4 EL34's and 4 KT88's. with 4ECC83's and 2 high gain 12AX7's. What I want to know is how could I do that? I want to add a 'Blend' knob. Also would like to as a master volume. Also another thing is if I could make it where the blend knob was a push/pull so that when I pull it out there is no blend I just have all 8 tubes pushing my speakers. (Plan on once build said amp head to get another cab so I have a full stack). Is this possible? If so could someone show me schematics for it? (Cause if you know its possible there has to be a amp that is like this) Anyways if I do figure oout I can do it, I plan on it being my next music project (I am currently building a 1975 F250 'High Boy' with a powerstroke.) and again once I figure out if it possible I will do the build and take lots of pictures so you can all see, and this amp (No not meaning to copy vox, but the name of my favorite GNR song) shall be called..... NightTrain
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gretsch Electromatic 5120
Amp
Crate V33H head w/ Berhinger B412S
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is my pet bunny. Will you play with my bunny?
(")_(")
Quote by LesPaulCowboy
with 4ECC83's and 2 high gain 12AX7's

An ECC83 and 12AX7 is the same thing.

Quote by LesPaulCowboy
Is this possible? If so could someone show me schematics for it?

If your having to ask us if it is possible, should you really be planning to build it? How can you build it if you don't even know how to figure out if it is possible? Electronics experience is a must if your going to be planning your own circuit. There is a lot more to building a high gain tube amp than just sticking components in a chassis.
What your wanting to do is pretty far out there. There aren't going to be any schematics for what your looking to do, frankly because its not really feasible.

If you really want to get into electronics, specifically guitar amps, and learn a lot while your at it, take a trip over to AX84.com.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Sep 19, 2010,
WIn technicallites ECC83's are a low gain tube while other true 12AX7's are high gain. Also I know I can do, its askign if its possible, so blah blah blah if its not its not and I can't do it. If it can be done I can do it. Cause blending would be using a potentiometer (of sorts) To send more power to one set of tubes then the other to get a certian sound, while pulling the said pushpull would allow full power to both. I have a bunch of schematics for amps, and drew a few of my own, I may not be a amp pro, but I am sure I can do it if I get a few puzzle pieces worked out.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gretsch Electromatic 5120
Amp
Crate V33H head w/ Berhinger B412S
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is my pet bunny. Will you play with my bunny?
(")_(")
Quote by LesPaulCowboy
WIn technicallites ECC83's are a low gain tube while other true 12AX7's are high gain.

Not true. ECC83 is the European name of 12AX7. It has nothing to do with gain. As a matter of fact the highest gain production 12AX7 is the JJ ECC83. They are the same tube.

ECC83 = 12AX7
ECC82 = 12AU7
ECC81 = 12AT7

Quote by LesPaulCowboy
Cause blending would be using a potentiometer (of sorts) To send more power to one set of tubes then the other to get a certian sound, while pulling the said pushpull would allow full power to both.

Thats going to take a lot more than a potentiometer.

Quote by LesPaulCowboy
I have a bunch of schematics for amps, and drew a few of my own

If it can be done I can do it.

I'm not so sure if you can seeing you don't know what a 12AX7 is.

Trust me, if you want to get into building, get your feet wet first. Go over to AX84 or another site of your choice and check out some kits. Build a kit or 2, learn a bit, figure about how a tube amp works. Then think about starting to design your own circuits.
Quote by LesPaulCowboy
WIn technicallites ECC83's are a low gain tube while other true 12AX7's are high gain.

No, a 12ax7 is the American name for an ECC83. An ECC83 is the European name for a 12ax7. Same way we Americans call them "tubes," they call them "valves."

Here's some more:
12at7 = ECC81
12au7 = ECC82

Also I know I can do, its askign if its possible, so blah blah blah if its not its not and I can't do it. If it can be done I can do it. Cause blending would be using a potentiometer (of sorts) To send more power to one set of tubes then the other to get a certian sound, while pulling the said pushpull would allow full power to both. I have a bunch of schematics for amps, and drew a few of my own, I may not be a amp pro, but I am sure I can do it if I get a few puzzle pieces worked out.

Most likely, you will have to buy a second transformer and keep a load on each at all times. So, you'd have 2 sets of speakers. Also, there is no way that this would all fit in the stock Bugera.

Another problem is that the Bugera is not a good base to start modifying so intensely. There's not really a way for you to fit your extra preamp tubes (let alone your second poweramp). Those PCB amps usually have very little extra space on the inside.

From what it sounds like to me (I don't know you. I realize this. This is just from your original post) you don't have much electronics experience or knowledge about how tubes work.

If I were you, I'd go ahead an get the Bugera. It's a good sounding amp, and they seem to be getting more reliable. Once you have some experience with it, you can find out what you don't like about the tone of it and then get to modifying.

EDIT: I seem to have been beaten to the 12ax7/ECC83 thing. At least you've got two sources saying the same thing.
Last edited by end_citizen at Sep 19, 2010,
4 EL34's and 4 KT88's are going to require some SERIOUS voltage delivery and current handling from your transformer(s). If you wanted one PT to handle it, you're most likely going to have to go custom wound. The transformer will probably weigh 25 lbs and cost $1,000 by itself.

If you go with 2 PT's, then you'll need a lot of chassis real estate!

But 4 KT88's is way overkill for a guitar amp. And actually, 4 EL34's is overkill (at least in my opinion). Any specific reasoning for this choice of configuration?