Ok, sorry for another one of these kind of threads, but soon I'm going to be getting a job, and I've decided to put aside a bit of money with each check to buy a guitar around 500-700 US dollars.

As the title states, I want a Strat, or any other guitar that has single coils. Obviously of good tuning stability/tone for the price range.

Tone wise I want:
  • The ability to achieve anything from mid to high gain (Think John Frusciante of RHCP)
  • The ability to clean up and be funky (Also think of Frusciante)
  • It not to be muddy, I like a nice bassy distortion tone.

(^ obviously I'll play more than RHCP with it, Im just using Froosh as a basis of tone )

What Strat would you recommend around the 500-700 range? Or is there anything around that price that would be more sufficient? Thanks!

And sorry for the newbish "help me choose a guitar" thread, I've only been playing for about three and half years and don't know which guitar to choose
I am a Stephenist
Well, How about an American HSS Strat?? That's what I have and its quite good.

ron666
Quote by ron666
Well, How about an American HSS Strat?? That's what I have and its quite good.

ron666

My humbucking bridge pickup needs are already fulfilled by my Jackson, but thank you
I am a Stephenist
get a mexican strat. there $500 or cheaper if u get one used. I have 1 and its just as good as an american. An american strat is $500 more.
I play guitar.
Check out the Deluxe Players. Those are really nice strats. You can also find MIM FSRs around that price some of which are solid.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Check out the Deluxe Players. Those are really nice strats. You can also find MIM FSRs around that price some of which are solid.

I've heard they have weak sounding pickups (the Deluse Player)? They do look aesthetically pleasing, and the thought of having less hum is good Also how is the feeling of it? does it have a nice rolled fretboard?
I am a Stephenist
They're vintage noiseless.... I mean, define "weak." You act like that's a bad thing. I love low output pickups. They're so much clearer to me. But it does feel very good.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
They're vintage noiseless.... I mean, define "weak." You act like that's a bad thing. I love low output pickups. They're so much clearer to me. But it does feel very good.

Well I've heard they are quiet, so that's what I meant :-/ And as I said I love a lot of gain on a Strat (due a lot to Frusciante as I said). Would it be clear enough with a lot of gain? Thanks
I am a Stephenist
Quote by 5150rando
Well I've heard they are quiet, so that's what I meant :-/ And as I said I love a lot of gain on a Strat (due a lot to Frusciante as I said). Would it be clear enough with a lot of gain? Thanks

Quiet in what way? Your volume is on your amp. They won't overdrive a tube amp as fast as high output buckers....but really, turn your amp up. I've never thought of Froosh as super high gain. Maybe more on Stadium Arcadium with the Dani California solo and readymade but still...By The Way and Blood Sugar Sex Magic always come to mind for me.

Either way, all of his strats are vintage, pre cbs and have the original vintage low output pups. His gain comes from his Marshalls and super distortion pedal. Once again, not the pickups. The vintage noiseless tend to get a little harsh to my ears with a lot of gain, but they are clear. If you don't like those, look for a strat with tex mex pickups.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Quiet in what way? Your volume is on your amp. They won't overdrive a tube amp as fast as high output buckers....but really, turn your amp up. I've never thought of Froosh as super high gain. Maybe more on Stadium Arcadium with the Dani California solo and readymade but still...By The Way and Blood Sugar Sex Magic always come to mind for me.

Either way, all of his strats are vintage, pre cbs and have the original vintage low output pups. His gain comes from his Marshalls and super distortion pedal. Once again, not the pickups. The vintage noiseless tend to get a little harsh to my ears with a lot of gain, but they are clear. If you don't like those, look for a strat with tex mex pickups.

Well I know that :-/ Sorry, as I said I'm a newb :-/ But thanks for the help
I am a Stephenist
Quote by 5150rando
Well I know that :-/ Sorry, as I said I'm a newb :-/ But thanks for the help

Nah, sorry if I come off as a prick about it. I just get annoyed when people are like GAIN GAIN GAIN GAIN. Not that you were doing that. Like I said. I would look into a nice MIM. Maybe an FSR if you are afraid of the vintage noiseless not being enough. OR you might look into a 60's classic player strat. Those run around 700USD I believe and are supposed to be 60's styled strats, like the ones John uses.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
1. Used American Standard