I'm going to Amsterdam (among other places) with my Art History teacher and some other kids next summer. Since it's not the through the school, we're allowed to walk around by ourselves and all that and apparently when our teacher has done previous trips to Amsterdam, he's never really had an issue with kids using the coffee shops to smoke.

This waitress that I'm pretty tight with at my local bar has been to Amsterdam and she said she never got carded. Conversely, I've heard that they're cracking down on underage smoking (I even heard it got bumped up to 19 to smoke).

So, is it true that they're pretty strict on the whole underage weed smoking.

And secondly, what is the penalty for having a fake ID and carrying it internationally? Couldn't I just say it was a novelty item or something or is it worth it? I mean I'd probably just but the card in a book or something when I go through airport security.

EDIT: My age on my account isn't right. I'd be 17 by the time of the trip.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Last edited by Weeping_Demon7 at Sep 19, 2010,
You know, those age laws are in place to actually keep you from smoking. They're not just some obstacle made to keep it exciting.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
You know, those age laws are in place to actually keep you from smoking. They're not just some obstacle made to keep it exciting.

Get ouut!
not advocating this in any way but...you will be in amsterdam. it will not be hard for you to find marijuana at any age.
Quote by rgrockr

They are obstacles, but they don't make it exciting. I would much rather prefer to be able to freely buy it, but that doesn't seem possible.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

You'r old enough to enter coffee shops in holland(if you'r account date is right), so don't go get arrested for having a fake ID.
Gear:

Jackson performer (miJ)
Cort Earth 700
roland cube 15
Behringer Wah
Boss rc-2 loop station

Dutch Power!!

Quote by DieGarbageMan
Proffesser Oak : I Came when i heard you beat the elite four

Quote by irollemphat
not advocating this in any way but...you will be in amsterdam. it will not be hard for you to find marijuana at any age.

I don't want to have to find a dealer in Amsterdam in like 4 days. I would prefer to be able to freely enter a shop, purchase the desired amount, smoke, and go wander that streets observing the art, architecture, and culture of the city.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by rgrockr

This.

That being said, weed is pretty easy to obtain stateside anyway, so why you would want to go to Amsterdam to smoke it is beyond me. Just enjoy the tourist aspect of the trip.
You could sneak a fake ID just keep in deep in your wallet. If they found it, it is a felony. Taking it internationally, its probably worse.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
actually,

just for facts:

you will need to be at least 18 and have a real ID to enter a shop nowadays.

(checked your profile: you are old enough to legally smoke pot in amsterdam)

but allways keep in mind smoking kills
Drum drum drum away!
also, take into account amsterdam has the highest crime rate in the world

Mein herz schlagt Schwarz Rot und Gold
and in Amsterdam drinking alcohol is allowed at the age of 16
Drum drum drum away!
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
EDIT: My age on my account isn't right. I'd be 17 by the time of the trip.

You know, you can edit the age in your profile instead of confusing everyone whenever you mention age in a thread.
well, you can't enter a coffee shop at that age and certinately not with a fake ID.
they will scan your passport for flaws when entering the shop!

EDIT: Just enjoy the beer (try some belgian beers, the best in the world)
Drum drum drum away!
Last edited by beverboy at Sep 19, 2010,
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I don't want to have to find a dealer in Amsterdam in like 4 days. I would prefer to be able to freely enter a shop, purchase the desired amount, smoke, and go wander that streets observing the art, architecture, and culture of the city.

Edit:

I want to smoke Weed & have sex with a Hooker in the Red Light District.

Fixed.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by beverboy
actually,

just for facts:

you will need to be at least 18 and have a real ID to enter a shop nowadays.

(checked your profile: you are old enough to legally smoke pot in amsterdam)

but allways keep in mind smoking kills

Smoking weed doesn't kill you.

As far as I know, 18 is the age to be sold any weed at coffeeshops. Of course, some coffeeshops might not card you, just as some gas stations don't card you for cigarettes in the states. I think the better question to ask is which coffeeshops don't card you, so you have a better chance of getting weed without being carded.

I also wouldn't take the risk of bringing along a fake ID. Jail isn't too great.
Don't bring the fake ID, its not worth the risk. I imagine it would be pretty hard to get caught but the penalties are severe if you do end up getting caught. Are there any of age students going on the trip that wouldn't mind buying it for you? Maybe tip them a little?
Go when you're older.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by rgrockr

STFU AND GTFO!

Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Quote by ~MeTaL~
also, take into account amsterdam has the highest crime rate in the world

I guess its because everything around the world that is illegal, is legal in Amsterdam.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
ITT: silly people.

Amsterdam does not have the highest crime rate in the world by far. That said, the chances of getting caught aren't that high as long as you don't stand in front of a police station shouting "OH HEY GUYS, I'M UNDERAGE AND I'M SMOKING WEED!".

Also, for those who think it is; Amsterdam is NOT a country.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
In my experience you WILL be IDed, if not on the door then definitely when buying.
Being caught with fake ID could be a serious crime over there, I'm not sure, HOWEVER the chances of them knowing every single type of ID from your country is very small. If they don't accept your ID then that's that, but that they could know it was fake is unlikely.
Basically, I went to about 15 coffee shops on my 4 days over there. I got ID'd at 2, I think. If you get ID'd at one, do what you do at home for booze and just go somewhere else that will. There's like a million coffee shops bro, you'll be fine.

Oh and fake IDs are nowhere near as illegal here in Europe as they are in the states.

EDIT: Awful lotta people in here who haven't a clue what they're on about, or look a lot younger than I do. I used my driving license for ID the whole time, not my passport, Amsterdam is a very safe city and weed in Amsterdam is a beautiful experience and definitely something you should take advantage of if you can.
Last edited by alexmonty12 at Sep 20, 2010,
Fake ID's won't work, you have to be more convincing. Do you have any friends who could get it for you?

Oh, you can trust me, I am Dutch after all.

EDIT: I just read the rest of this thread.
You people have no idea what Amsterdam is like.
Last edited by The_Casinator at Sep 20, 2010,
Just move on if they don't serve you? That's all I used to do with pubs in my town, when you find one that will serve you just return to that one for more weed.

I know little about amsterdam, but surely it's not as hard as everyone is making out. Or you know, go when you're older.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

I live in the Netherlands but i've only been there twice when i was 17. There are a few shops where they don't sell you anything, but the most will if you don't hang out there all day.
Just don't buy anything from some guy on the streets. Amsterdam isn't the safest place to be around.
Also, beer is legal and we have good beer so go enjoy some of that too
Oh and you don't have to bring a false ID for anything, just go somewhere else when they ID you
don't listen to 90% of people in this thread. speaking from first hand experience, I got ID'd in an Amsterdam Coffee Shop, and I had a fake ID on me. It worked. Basically, it's exactly the same as going to a bar or pub or club anywhere in Europe if your below the drinking age. Some places will not ID, some will ID but accept anything and some places won't accept anything but a passport or driving license. Most places are more lenient with foreigners anyway, as their is an even smaller risk of them getting intro trouble for it, and they can always explain fake IDs away as being an international ID they didnt recognise but thought was legit. It works the same for weed in coffeeshops.

As for being caught with a fake ID, there is no reason you should be caught with one. If they don't accept your ID, they say "sorry, I can't accept that" and you leave the coffeeshop. I can't believe some people are actually concerned the police might arrest you, police aren't called out for something so trivial as trying to use a fake ID in Europe and if they did find it, they can't do anything either.

so basically, yeah try, if it doesn't work, move on. You could always get a friend to buy it and go smoke in a park.

EDIT: seriously, how does one get jailed for a fake ID?
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Last edited by Mechanixx at Sep 20, 2010,
Quote by Mechanixx
EDIT: seriously, how does one get jailed for a fake ID?

Some countries have crazy laws though, erring on the side of caution in foreign lands is not always a bad thing!

In Slovenia me and my friends got a big bollocking from a police lady for jaywalking on an empty street, which apparently can hold quite a large fine.
I'm not claiming that in the Netherlands having a fake ID is a arrestable offence, but if you don't know either way then be careful.

But yeah everything else you say I agree. If they ID you and don't like your ID, they won't accept it and you move on.